Thread: Six months in the Boreal Forest

Smile Six months in the Boreal Forest

In Nov 13 of last year my partner and I returned from our greatest adventure.We wanted to reconnect, and experience what would be like to be a hunter gatherer like 99% of our ancestors. We had rations that gave us 1250 cal per person per day. Our lives slowed down a lot, we became very efficient. Most of the food we ate from the wild was catfish, wild rice, and blueberries. It was a life changing experience that has marked me for life.

We went there with the intention of learning wilderness skills and form a strong and healthy relationship with nature; we ended up learning a lot about ourselves and what matters in life. The two main challenges we had were food deprivation and being isolated (fighting amongst ourselves). Now I miss the wild :S I hope to inspire other people to have adventures like this. It wasn't easy, but it was worth it.
    Last edited by jpqs; 03-09-2017 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Messed up the date
    http://SurvivalSkills.Guide for Long Term Wilderness Survival

Sounds like a heck of a trip! Any pictures? I realize if you were out there for 6 months your camera battery would have been long dead by the end.

What did you do for communication while out there? No loved ones who would be worried about you? I couldn't be gone for more than a week...or two at the very most since I have family that depend on me being around.

My ancestors came from Ireland, Scotland and Germany, so I too try to live like them as much as I can. Lots of potatoes...lots of meat...alcohol goes in there somewhere...

1250 calories a day? I think that's what I had for breakfast.

Where I live I don't think I could even get 6 months of the year that didn't get pretty cold and miserable at some point. Something to do with the 120 inches of rain per year.
    Thankfully I already live pretty remote, so wilderness is only a couple miles away. I can be there anytime I want, and even if its only for a few hours, it provides me with a chance to wind down and get back in tune with myself.

I may poke fun, but you seem to have really enjoyed yourself and learned a lot, kudos for being able to stick with it. Not many could.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Pictures???
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Sounds epic ....Interesting.

What did you do for shelter....?
    Boreal Forest to me means swampy moist forest from Alaska across Canada.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

It sounds like a great trip. So of the things you learned in six months, what did you find to be the most valuable? Also, as I am certain there is quite a difference in wilderness adventure/survival and wilderness living, I am curious about whether or not you constructed some sort of dwelling since you were there an extended period of time and since you witnessed at least two seasons, I would think foraging would have been better at certain times than others. And even if you did exist on 1250 calories per day, I know you couldn't have carried that much with you. So how did you Vary your diet?

I find your quest very interesting and would like to hear more.
    Last edited by Curley; 03-09-2017 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Misspelled word

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    What did you do for shelter....?
    Boreal Forest to me means swampy moist forest from Alaska across Canada.......
    Good point, this is the range of boreal forests across the globe. As far as I know there are no bass in these areas. [Edit] I didn't notice that little strip on the east coast of the USA, There may be bass there.

taiga_500.jpg
    Last edited by alaskabushman; 03-09-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

We brought rations in our canoe. We slept in a tent but built a lean-to to hang out and cook. The biggest lesson is being in the moment. I am still learning it. We had to stay present in the good and bad times. We often longed for things out of our reach and had to counteract that by being present. This is us at month 3 (our lowest weight) after three months taken from our camp (copy).jpg
    Notice my ripped pants.

So...Y'all still a couple....LOL
    Have to believe that would be a major concern.
    My bride does use an out house....but likes a shower every week of so.

Married for 49 years, and I love her dearly,... but some times she just pizzes me off....

We are still together, but it was definitely hard being with just one person 24/7.

Sounds like a great experience.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

I am curious about the legal details, or whatever I should call it...where were you and did you need to make any kind of arrangements or have any permission? Stuff like that.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

JPQS, that was quite an adventure. I went to your site and read what you and your partner did. Thanks for all the very useful info there.

I'm afraid I'd not be up to do what you and your partner undertook .

Best of luck on your next adventure.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Went to you site as well ........nicely done....
    Thanks for posting.

Planning another outing?

You're that couple. Oh I have heard of your story. I don't remember where I heard about it but good job to the both of you. Sounds like a life changing experience. I hope more couples would take on that challenge.

I would like to spend a year with a team of at least 4 people preferably 6-8 living completely off the land (bringing no rations, just spices). We would have to go close to berry season or wild rice season. We would have to use gill nets or weirs (my partner is getting her Indian status) to gather lots of fish for the winter. Then we would have to harvest all the rice we could find. And finally, hunt at least one moose. I think it is very doable but we would need a motivated team willing to endure a crazy adventure. Being there, I would always think about the disadvantage of being just 2 people and not being able to use a weir or nets to get fish.

Maybe 50 years ago.......Then again maybe not....
    Many people have life get in their way

Nothing for me to prove.
    Have always done "surviving the wilderness" only when I had to....

Good luck...looking forward to the book/blob/TV/ movie.

Wow I would love to hear more details, stories, and see photos. I'm sure there is tons to share about your experience.