Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The most Poisonous Plants in North America......?

At the risk of injuring someone with misinformation, Sam, the roots, leaves, stems and leaves of Poke or Pokeweed are "dangerously poisonous". Not my words, that's from the Peterson guide.

Pokeweed contains phytolaccatoxin and phytolaccigenin, which are poisonous to mammals.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokeweed

The reason you boil it in multiple changes of water is to remove the toxins.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    At the risk of injuring someone with misinformation, Sam, the roots, leaves, stems and leaves of Poke or Pokeweed are "dangerously poisonous". Not my words, that's from the Peterson guide.

Pokeweed contains phytolaccatoxin and phytolaccigenin, which are poisonous to mammals.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokeweed

The reason you boil it in multiple changes of water is to remove the toxins.
    The reason we keep adding water to the pot is because it reduces as it boils down. All I'm saying is that Poke Salad has been successfully eaten for many years by many people.

skunkkiller here tomato leaves are one of the most deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hopeak, there is a list of poisonous plants in my Peterson field guide. Here are some of the ones known to have caused fatalities.

American Yew
    Azalea
    Baneberries
    Black Locust
    Canada Moonseed
    Castor-bean
    Common Tansy
    Ergot
    False Hellebore
    Horsechestnut, Buckeye
    Jimsonweed
    Lantana
    Laurel
    Mistletoe
    Monkshood
    Mushrooms
    Nightshades
    Pokeweed
    Rhododendron
    Water-hemlock
    White Snakeroot
    Wild Cherries
    Yellow Jessamine

There are many others considered poisonous but these have been documented to have caused death.

Page 7 if anyone has Edible Wild Plants of Eastern/Central North America.
    rick; i just noticed that bit there about wild cherries. i would be interested if they cited any reference for a Prunus spp. fatality.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

yeah, poke salad is perfectly fine if you use the young leaves, before they develop and red/purple tones in the stems and change the water while cooking. the roots, mature leaves, particularly the mid-vein, stems, berries, etc are all toxic, becomming more so as they mature.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

i like how some books list things like unripe mulberries as poisonous when they really mean "highly psychedelic" (see tom brown's books for their true nature heh heh!).
    ...gonna take a walk outside today...

Canid - It does not. It only indicates that fatalities are known to have occurred. I double checked to ensure that I was correct in adding it and I was. It is listed as Prunus spp. so all varieties.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

well yeah; the pits of Prunus species contain cyanides but i just hadn't heard that any fatalities where known. thanks for the info.

smokelessfire; don't spout info like that. reports of hallucinations are rare, while the nagative somatic effects are well established and the toxin [as of the last i've heard] is still unidentified and of unknown nature. that kind of claim could portentially get somebody hurt or worse.
    Last edited by canid; 07-06-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Talking Depends

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    Pokeweed... I love that stuff. Around here we all call it Poke Salad. We actually treat it like turnip or collard greens and eat them.

Daniel
    You can eat it and it's good when it's small. When it grows up like some old folks it gets mean. Those berries are killers along with everything else. Just for grins wait till the plant matures and take the leaves, stalk & berries and crush them up and throw them in a little still cove in the river and watch the dead fish float to the top Then again you got greens in the spring and fish later on.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Talking My Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by smokelessfire View Post
    i like how some books list things like unripe mulberries as poisonous when they really mean "highly psychedelic" (see tom brown's books for their true nature heh heh!).
    They are psychedelic. Eat a handful and you will see buzzards circling round your head. If you are lucky you may see angels but those are long odds. More than likely you will see where you barfed, then nite nite
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

So I've been fishing the wrong way the whole time. We've got Pokeweed everywhere here and a creek in the backyard.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

i've never gotten worse than mild stomach ache from mulberries. the species with red coloration in the berries at any stage [seems a lot of plant toxins are derivative of pigments] are the more toxic, according to common belief. i just wouldn't want to tempt any bored thrill seekers into trying potentially dangerous stages or amounts of plants to get mind altering effects from unknown toxins.