Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The most Poisonous Plants in North America......?

Banned
    Blog Entries

WOW, Rick, you get two twinkies for all that work, Thank-you, My book Say's death with-in 8 hours. However is does not sound like a good way to go. I was rooting for the monkshood, as they are so pretty, and here they grow intermixed with the Blueberry's...

I have to think Castor Bean is at the top along with the Aminitas 1.)Death Cap (Amanita Phalloides) 2.)Fool's Mushroom or Spring Destroying Angel (Aminita Verna) 3.) Destroying Angel (Aminita Virosa).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    So you carefully read the question, and this is your answer to what is the most poisonous plant.......?
    No, that's not my final answer, Regis. I'm just stating that some plants that are pointed out as being poisonous, often have edible parts. Tomato plants for example produce edible fruit, whereas the leaves are poisonous. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato "Under Tomatoes in Britian." You just have to know what parts to stay away from.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos
    Pokeweed... I love that stuff. Around here we all call it Poke Salad. We actually treat it like turnip or collard greens and eat them.
    Believe it or not, Poke is what got me started on my quest to learn wilderness ways. I can remember my mom picking the stuff and cooking it when I was a kid. Several changes of water later, we'd eat it. I realized a few years back that I didn't know what it looked like or how to fix it and how terrible it was that the knowledge had been lost by me. Mom and Dad were gone so I had no one to ask/show me. Soooooo. I started reading and digging for information on edible plants. Do I eat Poke today. Nope. Anything that says Caution: Dangerously Poisonous I don't mess with regardless of how many changes of water you run it through. Ironic, huh?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I really don't remember my mom changing the water several times, maybe one time, though she may have done it repeatively. Though I do recall her saying to not pick the leaves off of the bigger Pokeweeds and definately not the ones that already have berries. Maybe that has something to do with it? Not being mature enough to be of serious concern, so it is edible?
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Yes. It's actually pretty versatile. You can cook it like asparagus, cook it as greens or pickle it. The young shoots can be boiled for 20-30 minutes in at least two changes of water. The older peeled shoots can be boiled for 15 minutes in multiple changes of water then pickled in hot vinegar.

can hardly wait for the wife to get home tonight goona have me a poke..
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    can hardly wait for the wife to get home tonight goona have me a poke..
    you devil!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Bad Dog Bad Bad Bad.

Which raises the Question, Just who was Poke Salad ANNIE........?.........
    Last edited by Sourdough; 05-19-2008 at 05:58 PM.

A generic Southern girl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poke_Salad_Annie

And please note, it should be Poke Sallet not Salad. Inquiring minds just found out.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Bad Dog Bad Bad Bad.

Which raises the Question, Just who was Poke Salad ANNIE........?.........
    yeah i get that allot not just cuz i poo on the carpet either
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

If anyone has any spare newspaper would you be kind enough to ship it to Mrs. Wareagle?

Everybody's trainable

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 05-19-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

how bout some pics of these uber-deadlies? that would be helpful. i could always google each one.... but i'm lazy.

Interesting. I didn't know Jimsonweed (Datura) is in the same genus as some cultivated flowers called Devil's Trumpet and Angel's Trumpet. One is genus is Datura, the other is Bruggmansia. A house on my street has these (about 3 feet tall). But I've also seen these in the wild (about 6-12 inches tall).

I've said this before, but it all depends on what part of the plant you eat, when in the growing season you eat it, how you cook it (or not), and how much you eat. Some of the species listed on http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/bytox1.htm are actually listed as edible in other books or websites. For example, I know I've seen milkweed as edible, but it is listed as "moderately poisonous" on the above webpage.
    Last edited by bulrush; 05-23-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Datura and Brugmansia are not in the same genus, they are genera unto themselves, with many species in each taxon, but are in the same family [the Solanaceae], and are indeed closely related even within that group.

no part of any Datura or Brugmansia should be eaten except under the supervised context of magico-religious ceremony. all parts of these species contain one or more of the Tropane alkaloids to my knowledge.

for many other plants, as you mentioned, there are stages and portions which may be safely eaten while others may not. other examples are the common carrot, whoe's seeds are toxic, and Potatoes, the green portions of which contain Tropanes similar to those found in the other nightshades such as Datura, Brugmansia and Belledona.
    Last edited by canid; 05-23-2008 at 09:45 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Yes, I wasn't clear on that. I edited my post.

Doesn't Solanaceae include tomatoes and potatoes?

yup, they sure do. this is the family which is referred to in the broader application of the term Nightshades.

btw: i should also ammend my statement above to reflect that such plants, in the hands of an experienced and knoledgeble healer can be safely be used to treat many illnesses or disorders, but that this is also an area that leaves no room for fooling around.
    Last edited by canid; 05-23-2008 at 09:49 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Here in Mississippi, I have heard of folks eating seeds of the Jimsom to halucinate (sp?) much like that of LSD. Also was told by a Doc. that teens doing this may never "come down" ! Pretty potent stuff!

Banned

We've been boiling the leaves of Poke salad and eating it for as long as I remember. It's the berries that are inedible.