Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Counter weight spring snare trap

Default Counter weight spring snare trap

If you want to make a Spring Snare Trap,and don't have a sapling,you can use a rock as a counter weight;tie a small rock to some line,and throw it over an arm of a branch;then untie the small rock and tie on a very heavy rock.Pull the rock up by pulling on the front side of the line,make sure there is plenty of tension on the front side of the line.Make your noose on the front side of the line,and make the noose have a sensitive Spring snare trigger when the snare is forced to the ground.When triggered the rock should fall to just above the ground and the animal will hang in the air.This trap takes practice.Paracord is good for this trap.

20170309_132958.jpg
    Last edited by Submarine001; 03-09-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Have you tried it?

I'm trying to catch a bear...how big of a rock do I need?

Also, we have an introduction forum, head on over there and tell us about yourself!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions
    Last edited by alaskabushman; 03-07-2017 at 12:49 AM.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome....From Wisconsin.
    Pic's?......
    Pic's are a good way to show how this works.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

https://youtu.be/v6axmQl3nNA?t=229 this video should help you out.The heavier the weight,the more lbs you can pick up.

Welcome from Wyoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Submarine001 View Post
    https://youtu.be/v6axmQl3nNA?t=229 this video should help you out.The heavier the weight,the more lbs you can pick up.
    So what have you caught so far?

It can work yes, I have used it on similar snare traps, but with a counter weight that will likely not be more than 10kg (cause it will be hard to hold the rock in one hand and tie it etc)
    you wont catch much, maybe a rabbit, or other ground dwelling small animals..
    But yeah can work.. I haven't caught anything with this sort of trap yet.
    But it does seem you have caught over a million views with a potato quality camera. so I guess good job on that.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

I have never used the trap,but it does work;instead on using a sapling as an engine for the trap,you just use weight as the engine for the trap.Think like this,if you were standing and there was rope around one of your ankles in a knot,and a heavy weight was pushed over the edge of something you where standing on,you are going to go wherever that weight goes;if the weight is heavy enough.Same idea.Except you are using tension for the trap,as well as weight,to make the snare action happen.

I have never used the trap,but it does work;instead on using a sapling as an engine for the trap,you just use weight as the engine for the trap.Think like this,if you were standing and there was rope around one of your ankles in a knot,and a heavy weight was pushed over the edge of something you where standing on,you are going to go wherever that weight goes;if the weight is heavy enough.Same idea.Except you are using tension for the trap,as well as weight,to make the snare action happen.
    I get the basic idea.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    I get the basic idea.
    You sure? I can describe it to you again if that'll help... I'll be sure to use the word "engine" a lot.

Me-"Exactly."

Submarine001....... Is That You in the vid?....?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have never used the trap,but it does work.

How do you know it works?

You can sure tell Macgyver is back on the air.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Why would you hold the rock in one hand?,let the rope you pull do all the work;you could even use a cinder block as a counter weight with the line,by tying the line through the cinder block,then pulling it up.

How do i know it works?,nice sarcasm.Of course it works,you are using gravity as an engine instead of a sapling.Both traps are exactly the same,they both are powered,they both use a noose,and they are triggered the same way.If you don't believe that it works,don't try making it.

No;but i plan on making a video of one soon though.Practice making it,you might like the trap.If you need to tie thick line to thin line to make the snare properly,try using a reverse albright knot on the main line.The knot's main use is for fly fishing,but can be used in any situation to were you need to attach thick line to thin line;definitely look it up,and learn it.

When it comes to a trap,anything that is used to power a trap..is called an engine.Whether it be a sapling,or any kind of counter weight.You could even use a cinder block as a counter weight if you needed to,by tying the line through one of the holes of the block,and pulling it up.There are even traps that rely on twisted rope,to provide power to kill rats.https://youtu.be/qJgPcFpqKcc

It's a good thing there are cinder blocks all over in the woods just for survival scenarios.

Really? The awesome power to kill rats?! Amazing. Here this whole time I've been doing it wrong with a $2.99 Victor trap.

Me-"Exactly."

When it comes to a trap,anything that is used to power a trap..is called an engine.Whether it be a sapling,or any kind of counter weight.You could even use a cinder block as a counter weight if you needed to,by tying the line through one of the holes of the block,and pulling it up.There are even traps that rely on twisted rope,to provide power to kill rats.https://youtu.be/qJgPcFpqKcc
    Ok....
    I have never heard of a trap 'engine"......Seems you have, kinda wonder what your reference or where you got that from.?

Anyway....This was an idea you got from the interweb?...without trying it...yet post it, as a "This works"?
    You realize that you do not come off as very creditable...right?

May want to get out and try stuff before posting....or at least make a reference....as in "Hey found this on the interweb...look interesting....what do y'all think.

Most folks are more of a did this,... done that, here's how with pic's........or at least give a reference of where it came from.

I'm going to have to back Sub1 on this one. I have seen similar traps used successfully many times, sometimes catching prey up to 300 lbs. I mean come on, the Skipper was a big boy. I also prefer Mary Ann over Ginger.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Quote Originally Posted by chiggersngrits View Post
    I also prefer Mary Ann over Ginger.
    I can't take you seriously anymore.

Me-"Exactly."