Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I going to die?

Thanks Nat for explaining hyperbole.

Anddd what natertot just posted brought something to mind...why not try a marked trail first, like the Appalachian Trail? Its got proper campsites, rest houses and so on...then maybe you would plan the next trip.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Yeah, pie is right up there with me too. Not sure I would kill for it but then again a lot would depend on who it was and what kind of pie. Some of you would not fair well against a good pecan pie. Not well at all.

You could read an article on orienteering and take off cross country! Straight line is shorter!

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    You could read an article on orienteering and take off cross country! Straight line is shorter!
    Yeah, but going to jail or the hospital because of trespassing usually adds more time..... not to mention more expense and more misery!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

3 hots and a cot may be welcome every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    3 hots and a cot may be welcome every so often.
    true, never thought of using the local pokey as a hostel but I guess it would work. Just be careful who you bunk with and don't drop anything I the shower.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

To each his own, but I for one don't want to do the Hokey Pokey.

Quote Originally Posted by Petester View Post
    Thanks for the advice ,I plan on taking one set of warm clothes but im really going with a realistic scenario like if I was caught away from home with minimal preparation.

Also ill probably wait until next month when its warmer,someone just told me to not fish in ponds in SD but some other people said that every year Boy Scouts go to this one pond to fish would that be safe? What's wrong with ponds in SD? Thanks
    SD is a hugely ag-based state. Any ponds you come across will generally be filled with either pesticides, fertilizer or runoff from ranch waste. IE animal poop, in vast amounts. There's not much surface water in SD I would drink out of without treatment but that's not a damning critique; the same could be said of most lakes in the US. That said it's generally safe to eat fish from most lakes. Maybe don't eat the liver and innards but the meat is okay. Lots of great fishing in eastern SD. The state record pike and walleye both were at one time from that area (not sure now).

There is very little "wild" land in SD. Anywhere you go is probably going to belong to farmer or rancher or the govt. Foraging by hunting is probably possible if you get a small game stamp, etc but it isn't going to be acceptable to just shoot and cook a deer in the middle of a rancher's field!

Hello and welcome.
    Are you going to die?
    No I dont think you will die, you estimate your journey will take a month. you have MRE's.
    the main concerns are as follows imo. 1. clean drinking water. (you should maybe get a water filter) a large water bottle, so if you stuck out for a few days far from water you can at least keep some with you.
    2. Exposure to elements. - I dont know the climate and the weather or the season you want to go in, so you need to be prepared for that.. clothing is the 1st line of shelter.
    3. I wouldn't only use a bivy. I would use a tarp and a decent sleeping bag.
    4. fire wood as others have stated for cooking and boiling water.. ( perhaps take a small gas stove)

as for recommendations, start with smaller journeys that are shorter.. maybe 3 days at 1st. build it to a week then 2 weeks. etc.. so that your fitness and skills can improve along side this en-devour.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I am from SD and I can tell you the most dangerous animals here are people and cattle. You could hike for days without even seeing a tree in the SE portion of the state! Basically anywhere with more than three trees in one spot they put a fence around it and call it a park. Seriously, it's just wheat and corn for miles and miles. You would find a couple very small parks but otherwise not much for camping. The western part of the state is mountains with the highest point in the continental US east of the Rocky Mountains. There are great places to hike and camp there. The Badlands are pretty cool but not very good for camping or survival (as you can probably guess from the name!). I haven't spent a lot of time in CO but there won't be much to put an arrow into in SD except maybe cows.

This time of year I'd suggest warmer clothes. We're through the really cold part of the year but it still gets down in the teens daily.
    South Dakota is off my list then...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

mabey you coul hangout at the REZ you knoe rosebud or pineridge it's by the badlands.
    learn the old ways, yeah that's the ticket.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

Thanks everyone, sorry that its been days ,I use my phone for net access and it just died I hato buy a new battery as its a S3 first model which are prone to battery troubles.

As for the topic,you guys are pretty much correct,I was kinda being sarcastic but not completely id take a bus but no busses go by where im at and to get to a place that has bus service I'd have to go half way across the state in the wrong direction.

And as for why? Because it's the end of the world and I'm a true believer that's being persecuted by my family and friends just like the bible said would happen also it says that when you start being persecuted to run to another city also the mountain Colorado fits both of those requirements.

I'll probably just hitchhike and hope that I don't get picked up by cannibals,I didn't realize the bug problem down here,they (the bugs) are big strange and disgusting,we have bugs in Alaska but not like this stuff.

Also I've visited "the rez" those people no nothing about the "old ways" whatever those were they are long gone now.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Thanks everyone, sorry that its been days ,I use my phone for net access and it just died I hato buy a new battery as its a S3 first model which are prone to battery troubles.

As for the topic,you guys are pretty much correct,I was kinda being sarcastic but not completely id take a bus but no busses go by where im at and to get to a place that has bus service I'd have to go half way across the state in the wrong direction.

And as for why? Because it's the end of the world and I'm a true believer that's being persecuted by my family and friends just like the bible said would happen also it says that when you start being persecuted to run to another city also the mountain Colorado fits both of those requirements.

I'll probably just hitchhike and hope that I don't get picked up by cannibals,I didn't realize the bug problem down here,they (the bugs) are big strange and disgusting,we have bugs in Alaska but not like this stuff.
    Are you from the Delta Junction area?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

End of the world? True believer? Dude I seriously am dubious Of any forms of any doomsay predictions... I tend to not take any tinfoil hat wearers seriously at all. Maybe Elaborate so I can at least try to understand this craziness...
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

OP asked
    "SE south dakota to Denver Colorado"

Lat post>
    I'll probably just hitchhike and hope that I don't get picked up by cannibals,I didn't realize the bug problem down here,they (the bugs) are big strange and disgusting,we have bugs in Alaska but not like this stuff. <quote

So now you are from Alaska?

We all thought you just took off on this ill advised pilgrimage, to the promised land.....and croaked.
    So it was just the phone that died?

I thought you were pulling our leg before....now I'm sure of it....

Anyway....be sure to post pictures....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    South Dakota is off my list then...
    SD should be off everyone's list.

You should always be suspicious of any place where the primary tourist attraction is known as "The Badlands".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

There are a lot of problems with your plan... I won't touch on them all, just 1.

You either hike, or you "live off the land". You never can do both at the same time. Natives never did that, American frontiersmen never did that... no one ever did that. Louis and Clark carried tons of supplies. When they needed to restock, they stopped, and took a long time to restock. When the American pioneers had to go from SD to the Rockies, they carried supplies, or starved. So, if you want to "live off the land", make sure and bring enough money. There are plenty of stores on the route you want. If you walk from store to store, you should be fine.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    SD should be off everyone's list.

You should always be suspicious of any place where the primary tourist attraction is known as "The Badlands".

Amen brother. SD is to be visited in a nice car with a full cooler in the back and a credit card.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Amen brother. SD is to be visited in a nice car with a full cooler in the back and a credit card.
    Or drive it at night,.. on the way "Out West".....nothing to see anyway, not much traffic,... straight roads so you can snooze as you are driving...
    Back in the "Olden Days" we called it a 12 pack state...pop a brewski at the one state line...finish as you cross the other state line.
    We cut our time in half by NOT doing that any more...didn't have to stop and pee every 50 miles.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27