Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I going to die?

Default Am I going to die?

Hello. I plan on hiking/camping from SE south dakota to Denver Colorado in maybe a month with only a 60" recurve bow,12 arrows,2 large throwing knives,1 survival fishing pole,1 survival bevy,1 aluminum pot(frim mini rice cooker) 2 water purifier,1 set cold clothes(quilted jeans,wool button up shirt,warm hat) 1 set warm clothes(mesh shorts,t-shirt).

I would prefer living off the land but will bring MRE`s and granola bars if I have to.

I plan on taking a straight route all the way legally meaning cross country.

I've never done anything like this before but have read books so I am familiar in theory also "Never Cry Wolf" is one of my favorite movies.

Are there dangerous wild animals? I've heard coyote packs late at night but everyone says that they never attack of course a lone human in the middle of nowhere might be different in Anchorage Ak. During the day when people outnumber moose the moose defer to people and get off the trails but at night they are like a street gang,they take over the trails in groups with no deference,maybe coyote are the same?

How about insects?and snakes and stuff?

Thanks for your help

How old are you?.....Your plan doesn't make any sense.

You need to think this over and do a lot more learning and planning.

Then start with a short close to home trial trip.
    What route are you going legally cross country?...looks like 500 +miles

Reading a book isn't much help or what moose do in Anchorage, Ak

Quote Originally Posted by Petester View Post
    Hello. I plan on hiking/camping from SE south dakota to Denver Colorado in maybe a month with only a 60" recurve bow,12 arrows,2 large throwing knives,1 survival fishing pole,1 survival bevy,1 aluminum pot(frim mini rice cooker) 2 water purifier,1 set cold clothes(quilted jeans,wool button up shirt,warm hat) 1 set warm clothes(mesh shorts,t-shirt).

I would prefer living off the land but will bring MRE`s and granola bars if I have to.

I've never done anything like this before but have read books so I am familiar in theory also "Never Cry Wolf" is one of my favorite movies.

Are there dangerous wild animals? I've heard coyote packs late at night but everyone says that they never attack of course a lone human in the middle of nowhere might be different in Anchorage Ak. During the day when people outnumber moose the moose defer to people and get off the trails but at night they are like a street gang,they take over the trails in groups with no deference,maybe coyote are the same?

Thanks for your help
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Oh im 41 and in pretty good shape,I've ridden 30-50 miles a day on mtb for the past 30 yrs or so,this is one of my first posts and I'm kind of being sarcastic.

Im pretty sure that I won't die and when I said a straight route I meant exactly that,get a map out and trace a straight line from S south dakota to Denver Co and thats my route,I'm still considering riding the freeway all of the way there and camping off in the woods.

Im really just hoping that someone is familiar with the area with good tips.

I'm doing this as a real SHF scenerio where one doesn't have the time to plan or condition I suppose that I could just camp at camp grounds and eat at road stops,fast food etc. But thats takes away from the whole point of it.

I don't want to plan too much but just going without first checking for serious warnings is just irresponsible.

Oh yeah I don't plan on using a tent or any shelter besides what I can build out of trees,I also have a mini hack saw and survival saw the kind thats a wire.

My 65 yr old uncle rode his bike from Anchorage to Boston last summer with just a sleeping bag so I figure that I can walk 500 mi. At 41 yrs old.

Possibly im having a mid life crises and this is part of it LOL.

Thanks for your time

I am from SD and I can tell you the most dangerous animals here are people and cattle. You could hike for days without even seeing a tree in the SE portion of the state! Basically anywhere with more than three trees in one spot they put a fence around it and call it a park. Seriously, it's just wheat and corn for miles and miles. You would find a couple very small parks but otherwise not much for camping. The western part of the state is mountains with the highest point in the continental US east of the Rocky Mountains. There are great places to hike and camp there. The Badlands are pretty cool but not very good for camping or survival (as you can probably guess from the name!). I haven't spent a lot of time in CO but there won't be much to put an arrow into in SD except maybe cows.

This time of year I'd suggest warmer clothes. We're through the really cold part of the year but it still gets down in the teens daily.

Default Im kinda being sarcastic

Im pretty sure that I won't die,im in pretty good shape im 41 have ridden a bike 25-50 mi. A day for 30 yrs im a few lbs overweight because my metabolism has slowed with age but stil very mobile.

Actually my uncle inspired me to try this after riding his bike from Alaska to Massachusetts last summer at 65 yrs old with only a sleeping bag.

I'm still considering just riding the roads there but I'd rather try something completely new,in the instance of the real SHF scenario I won't have the time or luxury to research,this is kinda a test run.

Thanks for your time

Thanks for the advice ,I plan on taking one set of warm clothes but im really going with a realistic scenario like if I was caught away from home with minimal preparation.

Also ill probably wait until next month when its warmer,someone just told me to not fish in ponds in SD but some other people said that every year Boy Scouts go to this one pond to fish would that be safe? What's wrong with ponds in SD? Thanks

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I think you need to go out there and show those moose who is boss. I am a firm believer in Darwinism.

Is that pond they can fish in the one on the left side of the road after you pass the quarry east of Joe's bar?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You've made up your mind, and seems old enough. But my advise is, try somethin closer to home first.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Petester View Post

Thanks for your help
    Your list is unrealistic, as is your plan. Reading and watching movies is one thing, but doing it is quite another. I am tempted to start with your bow, arrows and throwing knives but there are so many problems with your stated plan that I don't know that you would take any advice seriously.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What are you guys worried about? He said he'll have MRE's. I guess enough for 500 miles. And I'm sure he's familiarized himself with the hunting regs and plans on having 3 hunting and fishing licenses for 3 states (2 of which are out of state, but I'm sure he's priced those).

Load up and go man!

I'm think a leg stretching is in progress here.

Just a piece of advice to the OP...
    Before you leave....buy a open ended bus ticket....so when every thing goes wrong, or you get busted you can show it to the DNR, Shariff , and Reservation Police....to prove you aren't just a vagrant.
    They might just put you one a bus.....AFTER they take away your knives and bow....
    Remember what happened to Johnny Rambo.....
    Good luck
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Sounds like hiking through a place like this doesn't call for hunting equipment and such. Just mre's and water and blankets and such. Maybe a fishing pole or net. And licenses, and bus tickets. And such. And maybe some permission, etc.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Now why would anyone that has no car, or possibly no driver's license, or other means of allowable transport, or the ability to form a logical list of necessities or coherent plan, be so desperate to get from SD to Colorado that they would walk 500 miles to get there?

Is there a reason this plan does not make any sense?

What is in Colorado that is not in SD ????

Legally I mean.

This should be an excellent adventure dude.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

With regard to Never Cry Wolf, and I'm speaking here as an unreconstructed Farley Mowat fanboy...never under any circumstances take wilderness advice from Farley Mowat books or adaptations therof, what makes his works so great is his use of hyperbole and his unwillingness to let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Better check the prices for a non-resident hunting and fishing license in Nebraska and Colorado. They are kinda pricey. Also better check with the Fish & Game departments of both states as to the regulations and what seasons are open and for what game and fish. I'm guessing that in April the only game you might hunt would be Jack rabbits and gophers. Game wardens don't usually take too kindly to poachers.

Walking around carrying a bow and arrows will definitely draw attention. Be aware of that.

Throwing knives?? For a long distance hike?? Get rid of that movie nonsense and buy a 4" blade Mora knife and a sharpening stone. No rain gear?? No tent or rainproof tarp?? In April?? Best way in the world to die is to get wet when it is cold and you have no way to get warm and dry.

By the way, Never Cry Wolf was just a movie with not much reality in it. A writer can make up anything he wants to for a story or screenplay but that doesn't mean it works the same in "real life." Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

Might check motel prices along your route, too. Hiking 500/600 miles without taking a shower and washing your clothes won't be much fun. Also, in a motel for the night you can watch the latest episode of "Survivor XII," and pick up a trick or two. Make sure your credit card and cash you carry are well hidden. Some people take advantage of "opportunity" when they see it.

Have fun.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I ran into a hyperbole once on the trail late at night. It was not pretty. I'm not exaggerating either.

hyperbole????
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    hyperbole????
    An English literature word used to describe a statement that has been obviously exaggerated and therefore, not meant to be taken seriously. An example would be "I would kill for some of mom's apple pie!". Everyone knows that a person wouldn't actually kill for pie, therefore, no one treats the homicidal statement as though the person is going to kill anyone. It then is simply interpreted that the person is exaggerating to express how much they like the pie.
    Last edited by natertot; 03-05-2017 at 08:35 AM.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

... I really like pie.

Per the OP, please don't take this personally but you do need a reality check. What has you "motivated" to this? A bus ticket to get you from where you are to where you want to be isn't that much. Why not get there safely if there is a purpose to getting where you want to go? If it is to simply cover miles to say you did it, why not go out on a long distance hiking trail. There are several of them throughout the US.

As far as the actual plan you have...... scary. It is obvious you haven't done anything outdoors for more than a day, and probably just watched a few things which put a wild hair up your @$$. Will you die with your plan? Maybe, maybe not. Just remember, there are worse things than dying. Arrested, shot in the gut after trespassing causing lifelong GI problems, robbed, etc. Not trying to be harsh, just trying to get your attention in hopes you will save yourself from yourself.

Sit down and work a real plan if you are truly going to do this no matter what. Food, water, shelter, clothing, time tables, etc. These aren't just buzzwords, they are things of necessity that a plan for an event like this requires.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten