Thread: Small critter hunting between south dakota and Colorado?

Default Small critter hunting between south dakota and Colorado?

I plan on going for a hike from SE s dakota to Denver Co. as soon as it gets warm it's kinda a survival test so im only taking a SAS Courage 60" bow with 12 arrows equipped with game heads,survival bevy,water purifier,granola bars,and 2 Cold Steele throwing knives,compass,fire starter,1 aluminum pot and a survival fishing pole pretty much one small backpack full of necessities.

I was wondering if anybody knows what kind of edible critters ,fish,and fauna I can get along the way.

Thanks for your help

Looks like about 500 miles?...

What route are you planning on taking?..... Roads?....Cross country?......Private property?

How many day out are you looking at?....(lots of granola bars)

Check state game laws for what animals and fish seasons are open....and licenses needed.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

What Hunter63 said about game laws. Rabbits, Prairie Dogs, and things you can't legally shoot or wouldn't want to, like skunks. Lot of skunks out now.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Skunks are a good meal.

Problem is you have to catch them by the tail and smack them against a fence post to kill them before they spray you, and there are no fence posts between SD and Denver!

Good luck with that.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Go Kalahari Bushman and run down pronghorns.

Quote Originally Posted by Petester View Post
    I plan on going for a hike from SE s dakota to Denver Co. as soon as it gets warm it's kinda a survival test so im only taking a SAS Courage 60" bow with 12 arrows equipped with game heads,survival bevy,water purifier,granola bars,and 2 Cold Steele throwing knives,compass,fire starter,1 aluminum pot and a survival fishing pole pretty much one small backpack full of necessities.

I was wondering if anybody knows what kind of edible critters ,fish,and fauna I can get along the way.

Thanks for your help
    Looks like you will need to do a lot of homework before you embark on that trip. And I really hope you have the right equipment to fend you off the elements. I also hope you have practiced and acquired necessary survival skills, and first aid.
    Asking in a forum and reading books might not help you as some information might not be correct.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

You might also want to check what kind of laws apply to carrying a 60" bow and hunting arrows around with you. Doubtful you will be able to stay "in the woods" and out of sight all that distance.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Go Kalahari Bushman and run down pronghorns.
    If he does that he s going to need to carry some energy drinks so he can chug one just before the chase starts!

Lowkey, there is no woods to hide in anywhere on this trip route. This is the northern plains.

And there is probably not a creek big enough to get a fishing line wet for the whole way.

This is one of the most barren stretches of grassland in the world. Even the plains Indians did not enter this area until they acquired the horse from the Europeans. The distances between water sources are to great to be accomplished on foot with the water a human can carry.

And an untrained and unconditioned hiker is going to require 25 days, minimum, to reach Denver.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-04-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Even truck stops are 150 miles between them.......
    Hike it at night....nothing to see anyway....
    On second thought, don't ...snakes like the warmth of the blacktop when it cools down.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I would build a stone house at night when I stop and dig a well. That way you are protected and have plenty of water.

Petester, if you follow roads, county, state and federal, you will very likely be hiking numerous 40 to 80 plus mile stretches with absolutely no flowing water. If it has rained recently there may be mud puddles in ditches, there may be cattle watering tanks within sight of the road, or there may be ranch or farm places where you could ask for water.

Now, if you go cross country you will be going under, through or over countless barbed wire fences, which even for the experienced can be highly hazardous, not to mention you will be spending most of your time on private land, and believe me when I say there are very few ranchers/farmers who take trespass on their land lightly. You will be lucky if all that happens is a deputy sheriff hauls you off to jail. Just pray that there were no wild fires, injured or dead cattle or big game along your back trail as you would be hard pressed to prove you had nothing to do with that. I am just saying, be careful, and if I could offer a suggestion, ahead of time try to get a temporary job on a ranch in that part of South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming or Colorado, and learn firsthand the likely lay of the land and it’s wild and human inhabitants before attempting this trip. Take care.