Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Personality types

Default Personality types

There are lots of different personality types. Is there an ideal personality type for Surviving a group crisis situation?
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Blog Entries

Is homicidal a personality type?

hehehe, Kill everyone in the group and use their stuff. hehehe

"stop it...stop touching me"
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

We call that the "Stony" personality type
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    Is homicidal a personality type?

hehehe, Kill everyone in the group and use their stuff. hehehe

"stop it...stop touching me"
    Sorry, I had a momentary laps in sanity.

Sorry, I had a momentary laps in sanity.
    Momentary?
    You don't have to join PETA to survive in the woods, it just helps.
    (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Blog Entries

Think so.

First, you need to watch how everyone's reacting. Most people will look to others for leadership.

Second, you need to stay calm no matter what.

Third, if you quickly and calmly present a solid plan to deal with the crisis, most people will follow your lead.

Fourth, if the group decides to follow the lead of an ignorant loud-mouth, bug-out alone, if you can, and deal with things yourself. No reason to have anyone lead you off a cliff. Of course, this won't work if, say, you're on a lifeboat, but you get my "drift".
    Last edited by Ken; 05-18-2008 at 01:39 AM. Reason: spelled "you're" as "your" - sending too many IM's these days
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Think so.

First, you need to watch how everyone's reacting. Most people will look to others for leadership.

Second, you need to stay calm no matter what.

Third, if you quickly and calmly present a solid plan to deal with the crisis, most people will follow your lead.

Fourth, if the group decides to follow the lead of an ignorant loud-mouth, bug-out alone, if you can, and deal with things yourself. No reason to have anyone lead you off a cliff. Of course, this won't work if, say, your on a lifeboat, but you get my "drift".
    Or, you could always just shoot them, take their stuff, and assume leadership yourself. Might be a bad precedent to set though, in case someone disagrees with one of your leadership decisions down the road.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Blog Entries

Cool

Won't shoot 'em until they try to take my stuff or hurt my family or friends.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    Or, you could always just shoot them, take their stuff, and assume leadership yourself. Might be a bad precedent to set though, in case someone disagrees with one of your leadership decisions down the road.
    Right, but that is why you must watch how everyone is reacting...Shoot the ones who might disagree with you and have the ones that are left carry all the extra stuff.

Blog Entries

I'm beginning to like my idea better. Just kill everyone and then you have everybody's stuff. Unless there is a useful woman in the group. Better to have her around then a volley ball named Wilson.

I'm beginning to like my idea better. Just kill everyone and then you have everybody's stuff. Unless there is a useful woman in the group. Better to have her around then a volley ball named Wilson.
    Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I think it would depend on how many people there were and if you were wanting to stay mobile. Just how much stuff would you really want to carry? I do agree about the woman though, cause volley balls just can't cook.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AKS View Post
    Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I think it would depend on how many people there were and if you were wanting to stay mobile. Just how much stuff would you really want to carry? I do agree about the woman though, cause volley balls just can't cook.
    Maybe I should have said "Then you have the pick of their stuff"

Banned

I think me and mine would stray from the group as soon as possible. I hate to sound selfish but in most cases I, like most folks here, would probably end up having to take up the others slack if I didn't leave the pack as soon as it was practical.

Montana, that's an excellent question. For those of you that have lived in the corporate world, you've probably gone through personality testing so you know what personality type you are and which type of personalities you get along with. Also what you need to do to get along with other personality types. It's an important topic for team building. Survival is at the extreme end of team building but will have the same interactions (look at Alaskan Survival).

Jung - Myers-Briggs is one test typology that can place you and your personality into 16 different possible categories. There are, of course, other testing methodologies but Jung-Myers-Briggs (I've seen it listed as Myers-Briggs as well) is probably one of the most famous. Here is a link if you are interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-B...Type_Indicator
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

As was joked around about (you were joking right?) group dynamics will play an important part in the survival of that group. In a group, leaders, workers, providers, comforters, disrupters can all emerge. The trick is knowing everybody's strengths and weaknesses, and learning to work together as a group. When that happens, the entire group will survive. That's why, as Rick posted, many businesses want to find out the personality types of potential employees.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

As a manager, it was helpful to me to be able to spot the personality types of my employees. By looking for their tells I knew which ones I would be able to get along with and which ones would be a problem for my personality type. I could then make accommodations for those individuals that would by in conflict with my personality type. It's not the be all, end all, of course but it is helpful to understand why two people can instantly be in conflict with one another over nothing.

In a survival situation, it could be life saving to have that information. Team dynamics works with you or against you and you had better figure out which it is very quickly if it's survival time.

You folks that were in small fire teams in the military probably have a very clear understanding of this. I'm sure you worked on just team building a lot even if you used different names for it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

INTp - I'd be the first to disappear from any group I'm not leading.
    PREPARE FOR THE WORST AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.

Thats why you pick your group before the crisis, not be stuck with one after. And all joking aside. The lone wolf route will get you killed. One person cannot make it for long, alone IMO.
    Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer a street level pharmacist.

Visit my Myspace preparedness page at: http://www.myspace.com/preparingfortheworst

if you want to see how it plays out we should find the thread from last aug or sept we ran thru and experiment with the group it turned to hell quickly as most of us are leaders in our own right, sarge started the thread makes for an interseting read.
    myself i like being alone i have found that having too many freinds pulls you in many directions and people get jealous when you don't spend time with them, i have my wife who is most like me and my animals and i am comfortable with that, some may say that i am too selfish but life is short and i do what makes me happy with my free time if it is selfish i can live with that..
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by AKS View Post
    Sounds like the old joke about the difference between sheep and women.
    Sheep can not cook. lol