Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Door locks

I went to pay my cable/phone/internet bill and a lady waved me over to help me. As we were finishing up she asked what security system I was using because, you know, all you hear about is crime these days. Sensing the pitch coming I said, "I use guns and dogs." Man I wish I had a pic of her face.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Another big deterrent is motion activated security lights. With some of the new led technology they can turn your yard into daylight, scaring the bejeebus out of a would be burglar.

Most of the burglars round here are during the day. 10-4 Don't park visible toys outside... camper, boat, trailers, tools, etc.

I hear the lights you mention are better for zombie attacks.... (Yes I am Joking) I have a few too.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 03-03-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I went to pay my cable/phone/internet bill and a lady waved me over to help me. As we were finishing up she asked what security system I was using because, you know, all you hear about is crime these days. Sensing the pitch coming I said, "I use guns and dogs." Man I wish I had a pic of her face.

I wish you had recorded for you tube...
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I like that approach as well.

Security lights is several places......will cover the whole yard...

Also a double motion security light.. inside... the garage.

Have an old police scanner... I got at a yard sale...has a bad back up battery holder....so if turned off, will lose pre-sets....so I leave on all the time.....always squawking about something......To bad a lot of agencies are digital....but still receives a lot of shatter
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I went and checked my front locks. No door knob for the front, just a handle and push down latch with no lock. And, there is a deadbolt. Schlage brand. Basically, all I need to do for the immediate is buy a Schlage deadbolt. In fact, the original on the door is a Schlage class 1, so I just ordered the exact same one off of Amazon for a drop in replacement.

I also took the time to drive around the neighborhood. We live in a little cultesac. All the houses are about the same, not necessarily the same design, but about the same size and price. However, once you leave the immediate area, there are definitely some much bigger, more expensive houses not far away. I am hoping they draw the interest instead of mine.

There is a police officer who lives up the street. I was talking with him on Sunday (same church). He said that the majority of crime in the area is opportunistic. They break into cars that are unlocked and just take stuff out of it, or they drive off if the car is idling (warming it up in the morning before going to work), or they grab stuff in an open garage. He says that the police will sometimes go around and leave notes on open garages warning of leaving your stuff out. I have noticed a lot of my neighbors leave their garage doors open a lot.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Years ago we came back from a bike ride. Thinking we were going to unload the bikes when we got home we didn't lock them. We got home and I had to pee. In the amount of time that took they snatched $2800 worth of bikes and left their Walmart specials in the alley.

Locking everything, cars houses,etc is a religion here.
    most house have alarms connected to private security companies, with panic buttons.. even motion detector laser beams in the gardens.
    The private security here pitches up faster than the police. The police only respond fast to domestic violence. the rest well.. can be hours to days.
    It good to secure your house agreed, make it so that they are discouraged to get in 100% agree.

I always thought to myself that if RSA crinimals went to the US they would have a field day imo, seems to me locking things is paraniod and unheard of, as are other security measures. And everyone has their keys in their car visors hahhaha (ok movies taught me that)
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    I always thought to myself that if RSA crinimals went to the US they would have a field day imo, seems to me locking things is paraniod and unheard of, as are other security measures. And everyone has their keys in their car visors hahhaha (ok movies taught me that)
    They would.... until they got shot. I was watching an episode of the Grand Tour (off shoot from the old British Top Gear). They were talking about American pickups and why don't people steel stuff out of the backs. Or, "nick" as they say. The joke was "because they would get shot". Don't get me wrong, the US still has lots of crime with lots of theft and home invasions. Most of which happens in areas with the strictest gun laws. However, criminals here are always running the risk of running into someone with a gun.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Here is a good article (maybe you already saw it). http://yourhomesecuritywatch.com/bum...cks-our-top-3/

Living in Chicago, even with commercial locks, bumping was rampant. Our joint condo garage was robbed because the thieves bumped both of our front SECURITY doors that were the "high quality" unbumpable Medeco locks. Schlage deadbolts did no better.

That being said, as you can see in the article/video, Schlage pinpad locks appear to be better.

We went with a tri lock system that requires knowledge of how it works to break in. The average "cruising" robber who simply wants in, will not likely be familiar with the different ways to pop this system as plain bumping cannot open it.

We also got all laminated windows in the house (for wind and tornado activity) that can take a sledge hammer many blows before they finally break apart like a windshield so still preventing easy entry.

All of this was to 1. startle the dog into barking; 2. give us time to get the guns.

Good luck!
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Good addition..... Add a remote switch of a recording of a 12 ga pump....Racking in a round....
    Now THAT scares the be-cheezits out of bad guys...

Read that on the interwebs.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Just a sound recording of the words "You are now in range" would do.

I have always considered the sound of a pump shotgun racking as being less than effective, since many of the criminals of which we speak have never heard that sound and it does not sound, in real life, the way it does on TV.

Call me paranoid, but I consider locking things a means of avoiding the opportunistic thief that turns dangerous. I lock my vehicles religiously, all of them, and do not leave things of value in sight. I also lock the door of the house behind me. I now have all the doors locked at a double level, locks and bars or chains. That is in case anyone decides to drive 30 miles into the country, in the rain, and randomly pick a super modest shack to explore for goodies instead of hitting the rich folks across the road who never lock anything.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Locking everything, cars houses,etc is a religion here.
    most house have alarms connected to private security companies, with panic buttons.. even motion detector laser beams in the gardens.
    The private security here pitches up faster than the police. The police only respond fast to domestic violence. the rest well.. can be hours to days.
    It good to secure your house agreed, make it so that they are discouraged to get in 100% agree.

I've seen Chappie and District 9, if we had sentient robots running around that had been raised by gangsters and Aliens...I'd lock my doors too.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

I would much rather lock a door than face the intruder. Must rather lock a door than fill out the insurance paper work. Much rather lock a door than fill out the police reports. Much rather....yeah, call me lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    I've seen Chappie and District 9, if we had sentient robots running around that had been raised by gangsters and Aliens...I'd lock my doors too.
    hahhah District 9 was filmed in the city I live in - Johannesburg.
    I havent seen chappie yet though...
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would much rather lock a door than face the intruder. Must rather lock a door than fill out the insurance paper work. Much rather lock a door than fill out the police reports. Much rather....yeah, call me lazy.
    dont always have that choice Rick.
    I been followed home and trapped out side my gate and hijacked... 3 men (2 gun men and one driver in their car) they followed me , i didnt think much of it at the time as friends of mine had a car like their's so I didnt click i was being followed... they cornered me in my drive way and blocked my exist... 2 men got out with guns ordered me to the ground and took my wallet and phone and my car.

other account of house robbery:
    I was at my friends birthday bash, at his house.. a very affluent area ,it was a boomed area, with wall and security.. his back wall of his house was 8ft, facing the outer perimeter of this walled off gated (boomed area) and it was about 4pm we where all in side chatting making a meal, I saw 3 men come in from my front right side, at 1st I didnt click, I thought maybe he had hired help for his party as we where a group of about 12-14 people and he was wealthy.. so I didnt click, they came around from his living room into his kitchen where we were, and then pulled guns and cocked them, then I clicked... I was like ok whats going on... they ordered us all to the floor and took off our shoes laces and tied each of us up, and started gun whipping people and effecting violence (kicking and hitting weaker targets) they took my friend the owner of the house with them through the house asking him for his "safe" whilst also taking all valuables from the house and us the hostages... it lasted well over 1.5 hours.. they had a guy with them on the phone every 10min asking how long? etc.. so they had a look out out side somewhere... then they left the same way they came.. and we where left to cut our own restrains.. ( i was lucky I had hid my cellphone 1stly down my pants... then into a cupboard next to me when they later again pat me down.. (thank god no-one called me) ... I had also had been wise and had made them tie me behind my head... and not behind my back.. so I could get out the restraints fast..
    as soon as they left... I simply moved my arms over my head undid the knots.. help untie everyone else... and called police,etc.

the other account of a mugging..
    I was at my mother Shop (she owns a business)
    3 gun men walked straight into the shop cocked guns and where waving them at me, my mom behind the counter quickly saw this and pushed the panic button, it set off her alarm.. and thank god the gun men just fled away very fast.. ( I am glad to this day they never opened fire)
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 03-08-2017 at 03:03 AM.

I always thought that I'd want to not try too hard to prevent a break-in, but instead set something up in my house like a box that had some tempting stuff in it, and when they open the lid and put their hand in and grab, a bear trap inside goes off.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

@antonyraisin:

1. If you had locked their car doors they couldn't have gotten out. Problem solved.
    2. If it didn't click, get a new clicker.
    3. Tell mom to keep her shop locked. Sales might go down a bit but she won't be robbed. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    I always thought that I'd want to not try too hard to prevent a break-in, but instead set something up in my house like a box that had some tempting stuff in it, and when they open the lid and put their hand in and grab, a bear trap inside goes off.
    At our cabin....I had hung up an old 12 ga DB....loosy goosy don't want to shoot in with modern ammo.....Behind the wood stove...in a rack...with some other antiques.

I was gonna put a little card on it with a warning....Danger, Warning....do not use this shotgun...Unsafe, display only!...Danger Warning"

Then I thought, if some one broke in and carried it off....."I was gonna change that card to....."Load this baby up....with the biggest magnum load you can find....pull both triggers"...............So when it explodes I can tell who rodded me....but I may be sued...
    So....
    This I decided if it wasn't there... and no one could see it...maybe they would just move on down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    @antonyraisin:

1. If you had locked their car doors they couldn't have gotten out. Problem solved.
    2. If it didn't click, get a new clicker.
    3. Tell mom to keep her shop locked. Sales might go down a bit but she won't be robbed. Simple.
    hahah funny guy lol

hahah funny guy lol
    He does shows nightly, with matinees on Wednesday and Saturday. Sort of our local mushroom, or fungi if you will.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel