Thread: Belt knife

Default Belt knife

A simple classic Canadian Belt knife, this one is a 3 piece knife, which was a nice change, made from Iron Wood and 52100 high carbon ball bearing steel. These might the ugliest but most pleasurable and useful knives made.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Another very nice knife. I love ironwood.

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

That is a beautiful knife.

I love that style.....and the classic scales....Beautiful.....
    So did George L Herter.....advertized as "The World Best Bowie Knife" (one of two styles)
    His were no where done that well.

Thanks for posting....
    G.L.Herters....design
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-01-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Beautiful!!!!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Those used to be like Moras in Canada, everybody had one and they used the crap out of them.

My FIL was VP of a big firm that contracted for the DOD back in the '70s-'80s and the company had a Canadian branch and owned a big hunting lodge up in Northern Quebec. Mandatory team building conferences took place there year around. Mandatory team building conference was their code for week long hunting/fishing trip with pay! Not like the wuzzy "I'm going to fall and you guys catch me and we will talk about our feelings" drills of today.

They had a full time guide/outfitter on payroll and his wife was cook. Both of them favored the Canadian belt knife for work in the woods and in the kitchen.

The company kept a box of those knives on hand because everyone that visited the lodge wanted one by the time they left. FIL had an old one about like Hunter's. Well used and worn.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-04-2017 at 02:14 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

A Canadian classic design and one of my favorite knives. The original was design by DH Russell and Rudy Grohmann of Grohmann Knives in Nova Scotia, Canada back in the 1950's. Grohmann has made a few different variations on this design over the years but the #1 is still my favorite. A lot of companies like Herters and Cold Steel have made nice copies of this knife but I still like the original Grohmanns the best. Every aspect of this knife is designed for function. It heavily field tested by Canadian trappers, hunters and other outdoorsmen before the final design was put into production.

I know every time I make one for myself someone talks me out of it...lol. The one if the photo I'm loaning to a friend to test out and see if he likes it, once I get if back if I do I will probably make a sheath and keep it for myself. He is wanting to use it in the kitchen to each there own I guess.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I have two Grohmann Canadian knives, one the "survival size" Canadian Army version which is my really big game (think Moose/Elk/bear) and a small game/fish size. I think I have too many belt knives! I always have difficulty deciding which knife to carry when I go woods rambling. I am really attracted to that blade shape.
    Geezer Squad #2