Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I learned a valuable lesson yesterday.

This is my "Manliness" barometer.

-Milquetoast-
    limp wrist handshake
    comb in back pocket
    flailing arms while running
    Iced frappuccino in hand

-Man child-
    Lives with mom
    Drives his girlfriends car
    says "eeeew"
    wears flannel that has never been dirty

-Man-
    Drives a truck
    Afternoon shadow
    Makes his own chili
    Can sharpen his own knife
    Mows his own lawn

-Manly Man-
    Full beard
    Knows what "cork boots" are
    Can change a flat tire in 5 minutes flat
    Has a collection of tools, and knows how to use them

-Man God-
    Runs a chainsaw for therapy
    Shaves with a straight razor
    Clips his toe nails with a multi-tool
    Castrates his own animals
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

LOL.....Good list......

You forgot Geezer....

Drive one of two trucks at a time...EDD and Trip/Sunday.
    Doesn't care about fuel mileage as long as you can pull a loaded trailer over the mountains in cruise control.

White shorter beard...#4 on the trimmer.....Doesn't want to be bothered with shaving...

Has new Outdoor equipment...after rebuilding, salvaging, buying used and patching up stuff since childhood......
    Doc says, Don't use them.

Thinks old tractors are cooler than Camaro's, UTV cooler than Harleys.

Has flip phone, motor club card and credit card.....and knows how to use them

Calls some one to cover the heavy stuff....and feeling less and less bad about it.

Naps are good......

Couldn't care less what others think....
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-21-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have to suggest an addition to the category of "man child" in the transportation section where "girlfriend's car" should have the addition of "cream puff vehicle" as a generic alternative with "hybrid" as the ultimate option.

Sadly, I seem to fit into Hunter's category more than the others.

Sometimes I feel like one of the old geezers in a John Wayne movie that just sits there all old and grizzled and takes crap off everyone until he finally blows somebody away with the shotgun he has under the table.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-21-2017 at 05:29 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

people that have never really cut firewood do not understand the dangers involved!! we had a guy that logs for a living get killed here a year or so ago...
    i have great respect for trees and saws when i'm out cutting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yamaracer View Post
    people that have never really cut firewood do not understand the dangers involved!! we had a guy that logs for a living get killed here a year or so ago...
    i have great respect for trees and saws when i'm out cutting!!!
    I've always tried to approach falling trees and running saws with attention and respect. I've never had an accident...the incident with the broken tree top is the closest I've come.
    It was a good reminder that no matter how careful we think we are, there is always room to be even safer.

I ended up buying one of the hardhat/faceshield/earmuff combo's at my local Sthil dealer and a pair of chaps at a moving sale.

Me-"Exactly."

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    That is the biggest load of crap I ever heard. It is giving yourself permission to pi$$ people off and rob them of their own validity while holding your actions as superior. The proper term is condescending, and it can be stopped. But you have to think about what you are saying before you let it out of your mouth or hit the "post quick reply" button. Hitting that button is always a choice, not a necessity or compulsion.

The best example I have ever seen was your thread on overcoming the "guilt of hunting".

The use of the word guilt automatically implies that one has done something wrong. So the post begins with the actual statement "you are doing something wrong so how do you justify that?"

You are forcing your guilt ridden value system on anyone and everyone that hunts when hunting is a legal, ethical and healthy activity that contributes to the proper management and survival of game species.

So we get our food wrong and now we cut wood wrong. You have people justifying their actions in both threads when they have done nothing wrong to justify.

Chain saws are loud and they scare you. That is your problem and presenting avoidance of their use as some spiritual action is only a cover for your fear.

Just remember that this is not Mother Earth News. The members here try to be polite, but are far from politically correct, and this is not a "safe place" filled with tree huggers, vegetarians and snowflakes.
    True, I should choose my words more wisely as not to insinuate the wrong message. I know people on here are not as easily offended so I let loose my thoughts more readily to get their honest inputs. As for the Chainsaw, the loud noise bothers me the most. I know to some the sound of chainsaws is music to their ears but for me I like the sound of an axe chopping on a tree. Best sound in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post

-Milquetoast-
    limp wrist handshake
    comb in back pocket
    Iced frappuccino in hand

-Man child-
    Lives with mom
    says "eeeew"

-Man-
    Drives a truck
    Afternoon shadow
    Makes his own chili
    Mows his own lawn

-Manly Man-
    Full beard

-Man God-
    Good list. But I'll add a few to Man God:

Builds cabin with his own hands.
    Grows and Hunt his own food.
    Has more mileage on his two legs than his vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    That is the biggest load of crap I ever heard. It is giving yourself permission to pi$$ people off and rob them of their own validity while holding your actions as superior. The proper term is condescending, and it can be stopped. But you have to think about what you are saying before you let it out of your mouth or hit the "post quick reply" button. Hitting that button is always a choice, not a necessity or compulsion.

The best example I have ever seen was your thread on overcoming the "guilt of hunting".

The use of the word guilt automatically implies that one has done something wrong. So the post begins with the actual statement "you are doing something wrong so how do you justify that?"

You are forcing your guilt ridden value system on anyone and everyone that hunts when hunting is a legal, ethical and healthy activity that contributes to the proper management and survival of game species.

So we get our food wrong and now we cut wood wrong. You have people justifying their actions in both threads when they have done nothing wrong to justify.

Chain saws are loud and they scare you. That is your problem and presenting avoidance of their use as some spiritual action is only a cover for your fear.

Just remember that this is not Mother Earth News. The members here try to be polite, but are far from politically correct, and this is not a "safe place" filled with tree huggers, vegetarians and snowflakes.
    Have you stopped beating your wife? If anyone is interested, look up "loaded question" or "presumption of guilt" fallacies.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I am scared to death of chainsaws as well. Which is why I use mine carefully. The local farm store started carrying Stihl stuff, so I plan to get that cool hard hat with the face shield and muffs. Also, they have the super bright chaps. I still use my saw, as much as I need to.

I also am scared of my table saw. Those things are crazy scary. But man, are they nice to have and use.

Before my grandpa died, I asked him if he liked to do woodworking the old fashion way without power tools. His response was NO WAY. He will take his power tools any day of the week. It also reminds me of a sermon a guy in my church gave recently. Don't worry, no religious message to follow. Anyways, he was telling the story of when he was at his father's cabin in the mountains. He looked out the big window to view the mountains and noticed a power pole smack dab in the middle of the view. He asked his dad why the power pole was there, right in the middle of the view, it ruined everything. His dad told him that he loved that view. The pole meant that he didn't have to carry water, or light lamps, or store ice.... and a myriad of other chores that power made easier. To the older man, the power pole meant freedom.

-Milquetoast-
    limp wrist handshake
    comb in back pocket
    Iced frappuccino in hand

-Man child-
    Lives with mom
    says "eeeew"

-Man-
    Drives a truck
    Afternoon shadow
    Makes his own chili
    Mows his own lawn

-Manly Man-
    Full beard

-Man God-
    Man, I don't fall into any of those. My first car was my wife's car. I don't drive a truck, although we do have a Tahoe now that I use as a truck all the time. I do have an afternoon shadow, make my own chili and sharpen my knives...but I don't mow my lawn. I have 3 sons. The youngest is 7, so that puts me at least 10 more years of not mowing my own lawn. That would seem to put me between man child and man. However, I also own a large collection of tools that I use a lot, and I can change a flat tire pretty fast. Anyways...good list.

Had a "Riding kid lawn mower" back when...Ride him long enough he would cut the grass.....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    The local farm store started carrying Stihl stuff, so I plan to get that cool hard hat with the face shield and muffs.
    I don't know if "cool" is the right word for them...but they are certainly much safer! A whole lot cheaper than a trip to the hospital too!

I also am scared of my table saw. Those things are crazy scary. But man, are they nice to have and use.
    Table saws deserve a lot of respect. Being a professional carpenter means I have to use a table saw almost daily. I still have all my fingers but many guys I have worked with do not.
    Kickback is what you need to watch for, I've seen a table saw kick a piece of trim back 20' and stuck it into the wall of the shop. Thankfully the saw operator has unharmed, but the shops owner left it embedded in the wall as a reminder to everyone else.

Before my grandpa died, I asked him if he liked to do woodworking the old fashion way without power tools. His response was NO WAY. He will take his power tools any day of the week. It also reminds me of a sermon a guy in my church gave recently. Don't worry, no religious message to follow. Anyways, he was telling the story of when he was at his father's cabin in the mountains. He looked out the big window to view the mountains and noticed a power pole smack dab in the middle of the view. He asked his dad why the power pole was there, right in the middle of the view, it ruined everything. His dad told him that he loved that view. The pole meant that he didn't have to carry water, or light lamps, or store ice.... and a myriad of other chores that power made easier. To the older man, the power pole meant freedom.
    I have a foot in both worlds. I can really appreciate slowing down and using the old tools of the past. They don't need recharged, extension cords, noisy generators or mixed gas. There is a certain skill lever required when using the old tools and just slowing down in general and paying close attention to detail...
    But when I really want to get something done, I'll take my cordless drill, power saw and nail gun any day of the week. Twice on Sunday. Having modern tools allows me to get the job done faster, so that I have more time to do things that I would rather be doing. Like spending time with family or just being out in the woods.

Man, I don't fall into any of those. My first car was my wife's car. I don't drive a truck, although we do have a Tahoe now that I use as a truck all the time. I do have an afternoon shadow, make my own chili and sharpen my knives...but I don't mow my lawn. I have 3 sons. The youngest is 7, so that puts me at least 10 more years of not mowing my own lawn. That would seem to put me between man child and man. However, I also own a large collection of tools that I use a lot, and I can change a flat tire pretty fast. Anyways...good list.
    I just made that list up for fun, I too fall into more than one category. I don't mow my own lawn since I don't have one. I don't shave with a straight razor either, but (when I actually do shave) I do use an old timey safety razor.

Me-"Exactly."

Yeah you left out a lot's of stuff.....
    This could get to be a long list....still fun.

-Milquetoast-
    limp wrist handshake
    comb in back pocket
    Iced frappuccino in hand

-Man child-
    Lives with mom
    says "eeeew"

-Man-
    Drives a truck
    Afternoon shadow
    Makes his own chili
    Mows his own lawn

-Manly Man-
    Full beard

-Man God-
    hahahahahahahaahahahahahahah I love this.....

yeah man it's just hilarious how vastly different areas have I would say similar standards on Manhood.
    It's about the same here.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

I don't shave with a straight razor either, but (when I actually do shave) I do use an old timey safety razor.
    I switched to a safety razor a year or so back.... will never go back. I bought 100 high quality blades on Amazon for $10. Those should last 3 or 4 years. I shave once a week, on Sunday, for the wife. With the safety razors, I only use a blade twice, which means 4 times total because there are two blades on it, then I throw it away. Before I used the Mach 3 from gillet, which I also like, but can't afford to buy new blades that much. With high quality blades, the safety razor is better than any other razor on the market IMHO. I also have a straight razor that I inherited from my wife's grandpa, still learning on it.

I switched to a safety razor a year or so back.... will never go back. I bought 100 high quality blades on Amazon for $10. Those should last 3 or 4 years. I shave once a week, on Sunday, for the wife. With the safety razors, I only use a blade twice, which means 4 times total because there are two blades on it, then I throw it away. Before I used the Mach 3 from gillet, which I also like, but can't afford to buy new blades that much. With high quality blades, the safety razor is better than any other razor on the market IMHO. I also have a straight razor that I inherited from my wife's grandpa, still learning on it.
    Stop copying me.

Me-"Exactly."

Can't relate......

I have had a beard all my life.....used to keep it on the inside till about age 13....been wearing it on the outside ever since.....
    Shaved it off once..... 2 year old daughter was scared to death.....said "Put it back on...."

I'll typically wear a beard for about 7-8 months, get tired of it and shave it off. Then I wonder what horror I've committed when I scare myself in the mirror. Then I grow it back out and the cycle continues.

I had a friend who passed away last year. His dad had worn a beard for his entire life. He didn't even know what his dad looked like without a beard. Neither did his mom come to think of it...

Me-"Exactly."

That's me, pretty much...Always had a beard.

I grow it out till about Christmas....crop it short then keep it trimmed till about August than let it grow out again.

I wish I could grow a full beard. Always admire people who has the genes for it.