Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I learned a valuable lesson yesterday.

Default I learned a valuable lesson yesterday.

We have been having some nice clear weather for the last week or so, clear and just above freezing during the day. I checked the weather and we had a winter storm warning starting today thru Thursday which involved as much as 16'' of fresh snow. So yesterday I decided since I had the day off I might as well go out and get a truckload of firewood while I can still get up the driveway. I still have enough to get through the winter but figured I'd keep ahead, since there is no such thing as too much firewood.

I've been using wood heat exclusively since we moved out here in 2003, and I have cut countless cords of wood. I try to be as careful as possible and have the utmost respect for chainsaws and falling trees...or so I thought. When felling a tree I always make sure I have a route to safety, hearing protection (to save what little hearing is left) and usually eyewear.

I had the first two trees down and dragged them out of the woods along the road. Bucked them up and split them, then stacked them in the pickup. I had just enough room for one more small tree, so I looked around and found a nice candidate. about 30 feet tall but only 14'' at the butt and I decided that it could fall easily in the direction of the road, even without wedges.

I found my safe spot, next to a medium live hemlock about 10' away and proceeded to make my cuts in the dead standing tree. All was well and the tree began to tip in the right direction. I pulled the saw and turned around to make my way to the "safe" location behind me. A small stumble caused me to take an extra large step to catch my balance, when I did I turned to watch the falling tree, only to see the top 6' of the tree stab into the ground only inches from my feet. The momentum slammed the log into my chest and knocked me back a step, but did no damage.

Unharmed, but with a serious butt pucker, I stood there for a minute just looking at the "widowmaker" that had tried to live up to its namesake. A quick prayer of thanks and I proceeded to pull out the log (which went exactly where I wanted it) and top off the truck with firewood.

I guess the moral of the story is never assume you are safe, we always think bad things happen to "other" people, never to us. Had it not been for that small stumble, the story might have ended differently. Be safe out there guys, pay attention, and remember that no amount of "experience" can keep you from making that one mistake.

Excuse me while I go to Amazon to buy a hardhat.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

That was a close call, and a great reminder to all.......and always seeem to happen when you are tired and in a hurry....

Wore a hard hat/safety glasses on the job...so that's second nature...
    Chaps were added several years ago when I noticed a little "nuchy" of pulled up thread on my right jean pocket......Chain nooot quiiite stopped when I set it on my leg to use my left hand.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Glad no injuries on you..that could have been a real bummer.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I use a Stihl hard hat with built in ear muffs and eye/face protection. Some people laugh.....those with scars want to know where I got it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Whew. Guardian angels at work there huh? Glad you're ok.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

They are not to be taken lightly. Several years ago I dropped a tree and bucked it. I was down to the last small limb and when I touched the saw to it the blasted thing kicked back and hit me in the face, neck and chest. I was fortunate that the chain grabbed my T-shirt and that killed the motor. The injuries were minor but there none-the-less. Could have been a whole lot different.

glad it all worked out in your favor , falling trees and running a chainsaw can be very dangerous . Sometimes it takes a close call like this to open our eyes and make us stop and think about all the possible dangers.

That's a good lesson to learn. It's also one reason why I don't use chainsaw, it cuts too fast that it's scary. And it's too loud. I like felling trees the old fashion way with an axe. I enjoy the slow pace, chopping at it in a meditative rhythm and then watch it fall gracefully.

Quote Originally Posted by fjrmurph View Post
    glad it all worked out in your favor , falling trees and running a chainsaw can be very dangerous . Sometimes it takes a close call like this to open our eyes and make us stop and think about all the possible dangers.
    I generally am pretty safe, I've been cutting firewood for a long time. I respect the saw, the falling tree and do my best to just get out of the way! My lesson was that there are always more safety measure we can take, and more things we can to to ensure the best chance of making it out alive. Accidents can still happen, but if we prepare properly, then we may live to tell about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaze View Post
    That's a good lesson to learn. It's also one reason why I don't use chainsaw, it cuts too fast that it's scary. And it's too loud. I like felling trees the old fashion way with an axe. I enjoy the slow pace, chopping at it in a meditative rhythm and then watch it fall gracefully.
    I'm all for doing things the old fashioned, I enjoy the slow methodical pace once and a while. However, I try to get around 8 cords of wood put up before winter, I want nothing to do with falling and bucking by hand. I often split about half of that by hand, but I also use a wood splitter for the nasty stuff. I move it with my truck, no a horse drawn wagon. I use a BBQ lighter to light the fire in the morning.
    You see, I have other hobbies and things I enjoy doing. Using modern tools and methods lets me have that extra time. Besides, these aren't little 6 or 7 inch trees, I'm falling trees up to 35 inches in diameter. sure you can do that with an axe...how much time do you have?

Me-"Exactly."

Nothing wrong with not using a chainsaw.... or any power tool for that matter.
    Fear will cause problems.....

That said....proper instruction and practice will help overcome many fears.

As a young man, a bow saw was my favorite tool ....

Now I am older, I feel that I need a chainsaw if I want to get any real work done....

I would become "one with the tree"...after I get it the heck out of the trail and out of my way...and produce two tractor buckets of firewood for the wood stove.

Actually these days, it more and more:
    "Hello?, Rick?...got time to stop by, cut and split the tree up?...It's in my way"
    "Grandson will do it?...Fine, send him over....."

I guess being successful..or just old, LOL, means, you can afford better equipment then you ever had....but the Doc says ..."Don't do "that" any more."

What do you mean chainsaws make noise? I can't get the darn things to work right. You push it back and forth against the tree and the chain keeps rolling. Doesn't cut worth a darn.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Kaze, you have the innate ability to phrase things in a way that makes people feel they have to justify natural, legal and normal activities.

The only "meditative" activity I ever had when cutting wood was the meditation I did while counting the cords to cipher if I had enough wood to keep the family warm, or if I needed to fill the chainsaw one more time and go back and kill some more trees before dark.

Cutting wood was not recreation or a religious activity, it was work done to keep the family safe and warm and it required a chainsaw, and a backup chainsaw in case the first one broke. If both broke you borrowed one from a neighbor.

To a person that burns wood as their only heat source the sound of that chainsaw running at top RPM is music more beautiful than any orchestra can make.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-17-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thank goodness my chainsaws cut fast. It means I have good quality saws and that I have done a proper job sharpening the chains. Nothing wrong with using an ax, but I reserve that for backpacking and camping, as chainsaws weigh me down quite a bit.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Kaze, you have the innate ability to phrase things in a way that makes people feel they have to justify natural, legal and normal activities.

The only "meditative" activity I ever had when cutting wood was the meditation I did while counting the cords to cipher if I had enough wood to keep the family warm, or if I needed to fill the chainsaw one more time and go back and kill some more trees before dark.

Cutting wood was not recreation or a religious activity, it was work done to keep the family safe and warm and it required a chainsaw, and a backup chainsaw in case the first one broke. If both broke you borrowed one from a neighbor.

To a person that burns wood as their only heat source the sound of that chainsaw running at top RPM is music more beautiful than any orchestra can make.
    You said it! When it comes down to staying warm in the winter, I couldn't care less about meditation.

Me-"Exactly."

Was splitting wood from the big downed oak ,I was salvaging out of the ravine...was about 30" in dia.

Misting and about 50 degrees....was using the 18" saw to cut the rounds in 1/2...so I could lift them to the splitter.

Working on the last load....clouds broke over the ridge to the west...just as the sun was going down...and a beautiful golden ball shinning as it was setting....whispering....real soft.........well, maybe no so much of a whisper...heard clearly.... "It's Miller Time"!

Now that is medication.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Sadly, I never intend it to be a criticism of other's activities, more about why I do the things I do. But yea, this "innate ability" has ruin my past relationships. It no wonder my ex get pissed at me so many times when I say the wrong things. Can't help it.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Sadly, I never intend it to be a criticism of other's activities, more about why I do the things I do. But yea, this "innate ability" has ruin my past relationships. It no wonder my ex get pissed at me so many times when I say the wrong things. Can't help it.
    That is the biggest load of crap I ever heard. It is giving yourself permission to pi$$ people off and rob them of their own validity while holding your actions as superior. The proper term is condescending, and it can be stopped. But you have to think about what you are saying before you let it out of your mouth or hit the "post quick reply" button. Hitting that button is always a choice, not a necessity or compulsion.

The best example I have ever seen was your thread on overcoming the "guilt of hunting".

The use of the word guilt automatically implies that one has done something wrong. So the post begins with the actual statement "you are doing something wrong so how do you justify that?"

You are forcing your guilt ridden value system on anyone and everyone that hunts when hunting is a legal, ethical and healthy activity that contributes to the proper management and survival of game species.

So we get our food wrong and now we cut wood wrong. You have people justifying their actions in both threads when they have done nothing wrong to justify.

Chain saws are loud and they scare you. That is your problem and presenting avoidance of their use as some spiritual action is only a cover for your fear.

Just remember that this is not Mother Earth News. The members here try to be polite, but are far from politically correct, and this is not a "safe place" filled with tree huggers, vegetarians and snowflakes.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Scared of the chainsaw??.....Snowflake is my new favorite word.

Nothing like the smell of 2 cycle smoke on a chilly fall morning, that's zen!!!!
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

I used to forbid my employees from using the chainsaws (Landscaping business). Cited insurance and risk and whatever came to mind. Truth is I liked it. That was my domain. But I wasn't cutting firewood for a Canadian winter either.