Thread: BOOK > Lost Ways

Default BOOK > Lost Ways

...This book looks interesting. I already have so many that I bought for just one thought...one recipe. We're all pretty informed here. Has anyone purchased this book and found it to be one of the "keepers" in your library ?

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Heavily advertised on certain websites, looked up the comments on Amazon and looks like it is a scam for what some say, not worth the money. This is the age of the internet where if something is good or worthwhile or bad or is a scam you can let your fingers do the walking and find out the truth in minutes.

I have never heard of him....?
    Doing a little googling....seems the heavy advertizing jump out to me as well...
    Review...heavy on the hipe....low on "secrets"?

http://thelostwaysreviews.com/
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yep, it appears that every review is by someone wanting to sell the book, and there are pages of them.

The thing about these one size fits all survival homestead books is that climate, growing zone and soil conditions change every 5 miles across the continent and what works in my back yard might be a disaster for the guy three houses away.

They never deal with that. Its always plant you garden, build your greenhouse, install a solar panel, can some rhubarb, learn some herbal medicine and all will be well.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Here is an honest review. The book is ... alright.

I personally actually ended up asking for a refund. Don't get me wrong, it's quite a compilation of information but it just didn't seem right for me.

Part of the problem (for me) is I get information everywhere online and download articles to epub directly if they're interesting. I even am compiling my own 'book' of information for personal use with a lot of different things I've found online and know myself. A lot of it's more reminders than anything else. When/if SHTF, it's a whole lot easier to open a book and say, 'ah that's what it was' or 'that's how you do that' than racking my brain trying to remember everything. Learning stuff is great, but remembering it 10 years later is more hassle than anything. Reminders are great, especially in situations where there's a lot of things to think about.

So, there's nothing profound that can't be found in other books, and most of it can very easily be found online. It's actually lacking in many areas and despite it being 400 pages, they could have shrunk it to maybe half the size if they hadn't used huge pictures and pages with very large margins. The table of contents alone took up 10 pages, and could have easily been much much smaller.

There's some okay recipes that are older, things from the 1800's (pioneers/frontier/war ration recipes and the like) that include pemican, hardtack, bread and other simple cooking recipes that are done pre-1900 all of which can be found online somewhere if you look. Honestly, I think a lot of recipes should have been interesting to make, but there's only about 30 (checked this against my list). A little further on there are some Beer/Moonshine recipes. Most of this sort of stuff I have cookbooks for, old ones pre WWII is good enough for me, along with adding a few printed stuff for pemican/hardtack.

There is some basic information about defense of villages and towns, 'spycraft' prior to 1900's (but not much), ammunition reloading including casting and making black powder, herbal poultice (only a few), basic foraging tips, non gps navigation tips, basic knife-making, root cellar building info, soap making, trap making, smokehouse information...

Keep in mind each of these things is given something like 5-20 pages, so none of it is very in depth and while some is informative, I found most of it was covered in other books, or easily found online.

There was a lot of time put into this book - but it seems too much information packed into too small a book (even though it's (sort of) 400 pages).

Edit: If you want, I can give you the list of recipes it has so you can see if they interest you. I took the names down for future reference before returning it.
    Last edited by deepfriedbroccoli; 02-28-2017 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Added a comment, fixed number of recipes.

I have a lot of "paper books"...batteries don't go dead....or interweb not working (SHTF)...that I have collected over the years.
    Many are dog-eared and well used and many are there just in case...

There are many many "Book collectors"....out there ....that buy paper books and now e-books....but never really read them... or tried out many of the "ideas"...and learn how to do stuff".

This happens for what ever reasons,...no urgent need, money, lack of room and other resources, lack of interest by companions,..parents/wife with the"You want to do.....What?"....

Many think of they have the book(s) like gear....when the time comes (call it what ever you want)..they will "read up on it or read the directions.

So, not for me.....they didn't ever review a "teaser tip".

BTW where does some one find sulfur.?...be sides buying it.....????

Quote Originally Posted by deepfriedbroccoli View Post
    Here is an honest review. The book is ... alright.

I personally actually ended up asking for a refund. Don't get me wrong, it's quite a compilation of information but it just didn't seem right for me.
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome....
    Good first post.
    The is an intro section to say hello at
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions