Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: logo design

Default logo design

hi guys, I am not posting this to promote myself or anything like that..
    I am simply looking for comment and criticism..
    I am trying to build my online "brand" if you want to call it that, which hopefully one day I can make into a business.
    I started off with A logo and a name.
    SSA- (surviving South Africa)

I just want some criticism on a logo I made.Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

what are your thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

I like it.

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

I like it too, very nice.

Thanks guys
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

I like it as well.

I removed the reference to your signature. You can have a signature with links but you can't reference it in your post.

I want one!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I like the concept but I think you need to exaggerate the skull and horns so that they are obviously cape buff or wildebeest at first glance.

I would also use more "African" appearing spears. Most of the world thinks of the long metal points as African.

And perhaps one of those skull crushers the Zulu used with the round ball on the end.

Your logo could easily be mistaken for an American cow/bison and Native American stone points. It needs more differentiation. I like the use of the compass as a frame in the graphic.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I like it. I was thinking rather than the skull, maybe a map of South Africa.........but that would look kind of like an armadillo laying on its back.

I like the way you incorporated the S on the compass rose into the title.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Kinda like the idea....and agree with comments.
    My 2 cents
    How about a larger outline of Africa as a whole extending outside the compus...with your S (for South Africa) extending down past the compass point....
    As it's an out line skull and spears can still be in the middle.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

While this is nice, and balanced and a pretty cool look, you might want to give some thought to using the relatively wimpy S amidst all that heavy military stencil text. KYRat makes a good point that the stone spears evoke Native American more than African.

Mechanically speaking, it has too much fine detail in the skull for any kind of vector art usage (think die cut graphics, embroidery on caps or shirts, or cut metal signage.) It also looks photographic which leaves you at the mercy of the resolution you had in the imagery when you created it (IOW it won't enlarge very far, say for use as a sign or car decal or the back of a T-shirt.) Plus it will cost you to have it vectorized and you may or may not be pleased with the result. Then there is the whole clip art licensing thing which usually doesn't allow logo usage as part of the download license. Makes it really tough to trademark later down the road (though I have no idea about trademarking rules, if any in SA.)

There is no rule that says you can't change it up as your brand evolves. Just a few of the pitfalls you need to dig out of and something to think about for the future before developing your brand too far.
    Last edited by LowKey; 02-28-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I hear all the replies. Yeah the spears could be changed. The skull I hear you vector image for resizing... can change that up... I feel the map idea is gona make it look odd any which way... also feel the same with the stencil font and the font used in the S. Thanks for feed back.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I would get some estimates from tee shirt and cap screen painting places and see how expensive it will be to produce.

I would go for a shirt or cap.

BTW, have we ever done a WSF patch cap or shirt buy?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I would get some estimates from tee shirt and cap screen painting places and see how expensive it will be to produce.

We did bumper stickers years ago. http://www.cafepress.com/cp/prod.asp...ival.202067739
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yep, and then send each of us here a cap, tshirt and sticker...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

shirts and caps are cheap as chips to get made with whatever logo you want on them.. ( if they screen printed) if they certain shirts and embodied logos then they quiet a bit more expensive depending on the shirt... but yeah.. I have to try finalize the designs 1st. Textiles in SA are quiet cheap.

I like the concept but I think you need to exaggerate the skull and horns so that they are obviously cape buff or wildebeest at first glance.

I would also use more "African" appearing spears. Most of the world thinks of the long metal points as African.

And perhaps one of those skull crushers the Zulu used with the round ball on the end.

Your logo could easily be mistaken for an American cow/bison and Native American stone points. It needs more differentiation. I like the use of the compass as a frame in the graphic.
    I was thinking exactly this. Make these elements just a bit more recognizable as African. Good on the S for South too.

The idea of an outline of the continent or the south part of it...I could go either way with that. But think it might be too "busy", while not being necessary and maybe too redundant. But on the other hand could be nice too with that outline...

...thinking about that (busy-ness/visual complication), maybe some tweaks could be to simplify certain things. To compensate for adding the outline, or just for it's own sake - the dark and light parts going around the circle, get rid of them. Except for the ones at n,s,e, and w. And get rid of everything at nw,sw,ne, and se. Maybe even the extra outer circle. And make the remaining points just a tad more prominent. This in combination with tweaking the skull and tools to make them more African, and maybe the continental/national outline...might like it better, might not. Make it and see (unless you already have).

On the fonts...it's good to see a difference between the two. But maybe the military font is too predictable and typecasting? Might experiment with some others.

And as lowkey is talking about...think about how it'll hold up faithfully through different methods of replicating. That's one of my reasons for considering "busy-ness". Have something distinctive and recognizable and that you like, but that also translates well into different media without it's fundamental soul getting lost.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Here's an unrefined quickie. Just so you can get an idea what it'd look like with the aforementioned tweaks...

...except that along the way I made some other changes. I was going to put an Ngala sword in there, or the Zulu skull crusher, but that was too hard with what I have to work with and could find. And wasn't sure how it'd combine with other elements, or instead of. Also ended up thinking to use another animal to make it more identifiably African. But I ended up doing the continental outline, which would've done the trick. And ended up thinking maybe you don't need any weapons at all (?) would get too "busy". Was going to do 2 or 3 different combinations, to use your wildebeest for example (I happen to like wildebeest and think it's an animal more representative of survivalists?), but it was so tedious with the tools I have (not such a quickie) that by the time I was done I didn't feel like doing more. But this still will give you another perspective. I mostly kept your font, thinking that's what you really like...it does look better/more appropriate with this different presentation...but did do something subtly different with the "bushcraft survival outdoor" part.

LOGO.png

Oops - Maybe a thing to do is contain the whole thing in a square. Didn't do that arg!

No, just tried it. Don't like the box. But I do think the skull and continent needs to be bigger...but then I think I'd rather make the skull bigger, but make the continent bigger such that the compass is mostly contained within it...with the South Africa part under the 'south africa' font. Hhmm...
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 03-04-2017 at 06:09 PM.

- William Arthur Ward

Here's another design concept you might like. Man, I just gotta say no.

LOGO2.jpg

- William Arthur Ward

Dang, WT, I like that one in post 17. That's pretty slick. That logo pretty much says it all. Nice job!!

I like the design on #17 as well.....
    Simple, clean says a lot.....

Nice WT......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27