Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Buddies that drink

Tool & Die Maker

Default Hunting Buddies that drink

Back in my Duck & Goose hunting days drinking while duck hunting was just plain against the law so I didn't drink until we were done hunting and back on shore.

Hog hunting in Florida I have needed to make new hunting friends. Tonight I was hunting with a friend I have known for a very short time and while in the hog blind a good size bottle of vodka fell out of his coat pocket. All this time I thought we were drinking bottles of cold water while hunting but this fella was drinking some 100 proof and he was intoxicated. Florida is a melting pot of cultures from around the country and we are not all alike and have different
    values.

Don't get me wrong, I love 1 or 2 cold beers after a round of golf or in the evening but I'm not a drunk and I never handle firearms and drink, not even one. I don't work in my shop and drink either.

Not sure how to handle this so I could use some insight on how others feel about firearms and alcohol. Thanks, Jim

Coming from a country where hunting and drinking (separately of course) are traditions , I can say that we never drink until the hunt is over , drunk +firearms = nothing good
    And it is dangerous to be with such person , there are unwritten rules one of which is never drink before or while hunting , only after , maybe one or two times from a pocket flask while hunting in winter and your cold but not more !
    Check out my survival youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCup...cRQ3O29ZB7Ybiw

I agree. I always carry and might have a couple round the fire while having my CCW piece, but I don't get trashed and I don't consume while actively using a firearm.

As a friend, I would draw a few boundaries and encourage him to get the help he obviously needs. For his safety and everyone around him.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I would politely let him know that it is not OK to drink while hunting. His safety and the safety of those around him are at risk. If he is receptive - great. If he is not - do not hunt with him anymore.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have to agree 100% with the previous posters. Just as driving and drinking are dangerous when mixed, so is guns and drinking. Not to be tolerated especially after a bottle falls from a hunting buddy's pocket. Then and there at that moment something should have been said . . . tactfully but firmly.

That said, I will tell you that back in my deer hunting days in north central Pennsylvania, we would all take one can of beer with us as we left the camper at 2:30 AM for the 3 hour hike up the mountain to our blinds. After huffing and puffing carrying all our gear for a day sitting in a blind, finally sitting down on our stools was just reward. We would be so hot and tired that it was usually 2 hours or so before you felt the cold again.

But after sitting down, I would crack that can of beer. It was so refreshing and tasty after chugging up the mountain. It was gone usually in one non stop gulp but that is all you would need. There never was nor will there ever be a beer that tasted any better than those you would drag up the mountain in your pack.

Some may say that is hypocritical and contradicts my first paragraph, but it wasn't the alcohol you wanted, it was just that cool refreshing taste of an ice cold beer. And most of all, it was a perfect reward for getting up so early and carrying all that stuff up the mountain for a day of sitting in your blind on some serious cold days.

Like my brewskis as much as the next guy....and maybe a few more that I should sometimes.....
    But never hunting or shooting....cold ones and "little ones" come after.

Few ex-hunting partners...found out real soon......no longer around.
    That is not a friend....that is a dangerous situation just waiting to happen
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have nothing to add that has not already been said.

Don't know why I am posting except to give and "attaboy".

Set the boundaries and enforce them. Those kind of people will get you hurt and shrug their shoulders and walk away.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll start by telling him to leave the booze at home. He was in a tree stand drinking vodka last night and got more intoxicated. What a combination, a drunk, guns and tree stand climbing.

I agree, I like a cold beer as well as the next guy but certain things I don't mix beer with, guns, machines, driving and climbing tree stands.

I wondered what was wrong with this guy. Shows up for a hog hunt with his gun but no shells, forgets his cellphone. I thought I could smell booze on him a couple of times. Last night the guy couldn't stand up, fell to the ground unloading his gun. People are a real disappointment to me at times.

Jim

You may have to tell someone about this guy. I don't like that idea but I'll bet his problem didn't start the day you started hunting with him.
    It sound like he's been burning up luck for a while now.
    I would not want to be the one who tells the guy's folks that the hogs killed him.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Tool & Die Maker

I'm back home in Illinois now. A week ago this drinking buddy calls me up and wants to go hunting. I told him I would pick him up at his RV at 4:30 AM. I show up at 4:30 and I see him in his PJs. He staggers over to my car and says he will catch up with me at the Blind in an hour or hour and a half. Well, he never shows up, I hunt alone until 7:30 AM and I leave.

Problem is, my wife thinks I'm out hunting with a friend that doesn't show up. Hey, I'm 66, and I suppose bad things could happen to me out there in the Jungle alone. On the 22 hour drive home I discussed the situation with my wife and asked her for advice on this guy for next year. She recommended just telling the guy next year, he just isn't working out. If he asks for details I'll have to tell him the drinking around guns is a danger and his chain smoking is keeping the hogs away.
    Jim

Get a new hunting buddy...!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    I'm back home in Illinois now. A week ago this drinking buddy calls me up and wants to go hunting. I told him I would pick him up at his RV at 4:30 AM. I show up at 4:30 and I see him in his PJs. He staggers over to my car and says he will catch up with me at the Blind in an hour or hour and a half. Well, he never shows up, I hunt alone until 7:30 AM and I leave.

Problem is, my wife thinks I'm out hunting with a friend that doesn't show up. Hey, I'm 66, and I suppose bad things could happen to me out there in the Jungle alone. On the 22 hour drive home I discussed the situation with my wife and asked her for advice on this guy for next year. She recommended just telling the guy next year, he just isn't working out. If he asks for details I'll have to tell him the drinking around guns is a danger and his chain smoking is keeping the hogs away.
    Jim
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osEffNBzpqk

You are being too kind, I would just tell him that you don't need his problem......he isn't your buddy...
    Get a new hunting buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by gcckoka View Post
    Coming from a country where hunting and drinking (separately of course) are traditions , I can say that we never drink until the hunt is over , drunk +firearms = nothing good
    And it is dangerous to be with such person , there are unwritten rules one of which is never drink before or while hunting , only after , maybe one or two times from a pocket flask while hunting in winter and your cold but not more !
    I agree completely. There are two pairs of things that DO NOT need to be mixed. DRINKING and operating anything with a motor, DRINKING and handling any type of weapon.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

You left off drinking and picking up women in a bar. Very risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You left off drinking and picking up women in a bar. Very risky.
    Gave that up as well....can't carry them these days.....

You guys left out drinking and using the computer.

That seldom comes to any good end either.

Of course with some of you I would not recognize your posts if you were stone cold sober

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You guys left out drinking and using the computer.

That seldom comes to any good end either.

Of course with some of you I would not recognize your posts if you were stone cold sober
    Are you talking about "impaired computer shopping at all hours with a credit card?"

Not that right there is funny I don't care who you are. God bless the little gun ordering pygmies down there in New Guinea.

Hunting camps can be dangerous places after the hunt. Egos sometimes get inflated and bruised after a good day for some and a bad day for some. It was illegal to have any alcohol at all in one of the WMA we hunt for 25 years or so.because of shoot outs. Now, you can have beer in camp only. But, most have never stopped drinking. If you see a red solo cup, its more than likely a mixed drink or a beer. Swamp buggies bust the palmettos and shoot to bits anything that moves.

We have a policy when the drinking starts, the guns get put away. Except for the sidearms. They stay holstered. It is still a bit of the wild west down here in some camps and sometimes you don't know where that will arise.