Thread: Overnigh in deep snow and -15C cold

Default Overnigh in deep snow and -15C cold

So guys I was planning this trip for a long time and at last I was able to do it , it may not be extreme for you arctic club members but for me and for people in my country staying outdoors in that weather is insane Rest you will see in the video , one note, it didnt came out as entertaining as my other videos but it is more like a little documentary about my trip , any questions feel free to ask and tell me what you think about it

Here's a pic from the night

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Check out my survival youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCup...cRQ3O29ZB7Ybiw

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

So, I have just discovered that watching someone else freeze their butts off is much more enjoyable than freezing my own butt off!

Another fun film.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I enjoyed your video. I'm afraid that snow is a little too deep and cold for me. At my age, I sit beside the fireplace with a glass of scotch and watch others have fun in the deep snow.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

LOL...I guess I echo that feel as well.
    Glad you had a good time.

Colder today....but was 71 yesterday in the midwest....warmer than Gainsville, Florida and Las Vegas
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nice video. It takes me back about 35 years ago doing the same thing. I felt sorry for you when I saw how red your hands were.

That was a great film. I may have to turn the thermostat up a bit now that I've watched that.

Nice vid. What's all that white stuff?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Great video as always. I have a couple of suggestions. You already know you need different clothing. No cotton in the cold. Snow boots or at least felt liners in your rubber boots. No leather gloves.

When you first get to your spot, tramp down the snow with your snow shoes instead of digging out. After tramping down the snow some, go start your fire to let the snow set up. It takes a lot less energy and also you aren't creating a cold sink.

That church was so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

First off....great pulk! Very ingenious! If you want a bigger one, make sure it is longer, not wider.

I disagree about no leather gloves. I always bring a set. But, they aren't my only gloves. I will have a pair of goretex mittens with a small pair of wool finger gloves underneath, that I wear when traveling. Then, when I work on fire stuff, and working with wood, I use the leather gloves. Gloves are small and light....bring more than one pair.

Cotton clothes are Okay.... IF you follow a few rules. Only have them as your outer layer, if the temperature is below -10 C. Your underwear and insulation should never be cotton. You should be able to find Russian military surplus with all wool clothing. If you use synthetic underwear, then the old wool clothing won't itch.

Also, if you were a little cold at night, you could always bring another foam sleeping mat. It is not a sin to take 3. They are very light, and very useful. For comfort, I will also bring a small mat that is cut short. I use this to sit on at camp. Much warmer than sitting on snow. And, if you bring your dog, the dog can use it to sleep on at night.

Great video. Thanks for sharing.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee