Thread: AR Utility Rifle

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default AR Utility Rifle

It has been especially warm where the Krat lives, which means mid winter range time! Last weekend I spent messing around with swapping barrels and upper units and scopes and earlier in the week I began a project based on attempting to improve the trigger pulls of the entire brood of AR platforms.

I put to gather a magnificent copy of the issued SPR complete with 3-12x scope and polished the crap out of the trigger and still could not get the trigger as smooth as I wanted or the newly free floated whiz-bang SPR upper to shoot like it should.

So yesterday I decided I needed a rest from the cussing and elevated blood pressure, so I grabbed the plain Jane platform I had built from PSA parts kit, slapped a 1-4x Leatherwood scope (worth more than the rifle) on top and headed to the range with a box of Wolf steel case and a coffee can full of JSP 55 grain reloads.

I got dialed in, finally, with a lot of cranking of the scope dials, which used up 15 rounds of the Wolf. That is five 3 shot groups to get on the X, but the groups were extreemly small and uniform and the clicks were working as they should with no nasty surprises.

I finally got it right, moved to 100 yards and after one more adjustment to fine tune at the new distance I fired one more group of the Wolf, which is the group on the right. There was a paper plate with an X on that spot but I lost it in the transport.

The group using surplus was so good I decided to shoot a group using my reloads, which is the group on the left.

At this point things had gone so scary good that all I could do was tighten the scope screws to insure I would not lose the group, pack up and head to the house.

The one irritating thing about the entire situation is that my cheap@$$ utility rifle built from a PSA cheapest ever ($299 complete upper included) build kit will out shoot the fancy rifle I made from specially selected parts!

Now I must confess that the size of this group has noting to do with the shooting ability of the Krat. Everything was fired from a lead sled anchored with a big sack of rocks. All I did was look through the scope, tap things this way and that way, then apply some pressure to the trigger until something went BOOM !

I repeat, I can not shoot like that off my elbows with my 67 year old eyes!

I am not a Frogman.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-18-2017 at 07:33 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hey, that pretty good shooting.....
    Some times it a "go figure"on what works and what doesn't........

The best shooter in a few Nagants is a M38 with an out of round slugged barrel...307 to .313....

Maybe want to get out a LCP and try a 2" group at 100 yds....
    I know a guy....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Like I said, it had little to do with my shooting. Mostly just a happy combination of parts stuck together Lego style.

As for the long range pistol, I am almost there!

I have a P3at that will keep all its shots on a man sized target rapid fire at 100 yards.

Have a Cobra 2 shot derringer that will do it at 200! Its a bit slow on the reload though.

Down in Tennessee, back in the 1970s, we had a guy that murdered his wife's boyfriend with a 2 shot derringer. He shot the guy 18 times.

He claimed self defense.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-18-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Guess the spr doesn't like what you're feeding it.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Like I said, it had little to do with my shooting. Mostly just a happy combination of parts stuck together Lego style.

As for the long range pistol, I am almost there!

I have a P3at that will keep all its shots on a man sized target rapid fire at 100 yards.

Have a Cobra 2 shot derringer that will do it at 200! Its a bit slow on the reload though.

Down in Tennessee, back in the 1970s, we had a guy that murdered his wife's boyfriend with a 2 shot derringer. He shot the guy 18 times.

He claimed self defense.
    Why did he shoot him 18 times.....????

Wait for it.....

That all the ammo he had.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Do they both have the same twist?

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Do they both have the same twist?
    they both have the same 1/7 twist but the utility rifle has a heavy contour barrel that is .750 all the way to the muzzle.

It also had a better trigger than the SPR copy but that has been changed. I have changed/modified the triggers on both guns. That is substance for another thread which I need to catch up with. The utility rifle now has an excellent 4 1/2 pound trigger and the SPR has a whiz-bang 2 pound trigger.

As soon as the weather breaks I am heading back to the range with both guns. If the utility gun still out shoots the SPR I will pull the barrel off the upper and see what it will do free floated and donated to the SPR.