Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I would like to learn from the best - LCP 1911

I like the big gun store and shoot some different guns and calibers advice. I like the 2"-3".357 loaded with +p .38's advice.

Here' my contribution. Don't get in a hurry with the holster. It makes a huge difference and you'll still probably wind up with a drawer full until you kinda like this one and that one.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Here' my contribution. Don't get in a hurry with the holster. It makes a huge difference and you'll still probably wind up with a drawer full until you kinda like this one and that one.
    I have to agree with that nugget of wisdom.

Whatever you get just buy an Uncle Mike's fabric holster for $25 and tote the gun and play with it for a while. Use it strong side, try it cross draw, find what you like and then put the pack on and change your mind entirely.

When you find what works buy a good holster designed for carry in that position.

After fooling around with every new style that came along for 50 years I finally decided the FBI knew what it was doing when they adopted the 4 o'clock strong side carry back in the 1930s.

But that is not the ideal carry position for a back packer or hiker with a rucksack. CCW holsters, field holsters and backpacking gear clash and crunch, jab and poke at every movement.

The only holster I have ever found that worked with a pack and load of gear on the belt was a "drop-leg" unit and that is not going to go unnoticed. My second choice was to load the belt of the pack up with pouches and have the pistol in one of them. That dictated a smaller pistol, but there are some good choices in the compact market right now.

So now you know why there are so many threads about making holsters on this forum. We all gave up on the manufactured stuff and decided to make our own.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

By and large I think the whole "big drawer of holsters" thing would go away if more folks bought a good one to begin with. I don't think the Uncle Mike's will tell you much except that you need a better holster! At least that was my experience.

Asking a person what gun is like asking what pants. I wear 34 x 30 and love cargo pockets. Does no good for the tall guy who needs 36 in inseams or the heavy guy with a 50 in waist. What is good for one is useless for the other.

That being said, I'll tell you what works for me. In the winter, I don't encounter very many people and my biggest concern with wildlife is usually racoons (kyratshooter can confirm this). Winter also requires more and heavier gear. In this case, I resort to a Walther p22 and a handful of extra shells. I don't use a holster and keep it a cargo pocket strong side.

Campground camping with family and friends usually calls for my ruger LC380 (not lcp, hate those) also carried cargo pocket no holster. I go with that because people become my primary concern.

Warmer months in the woods usually call for my .357 ruger. I keep 2 snake rounds in it and 4 .357 self defense rounds. This keeps me equipped for anything from mouse to bear. I carry this on the belt strong side. The holster has a kind of flap for the belt attachment allowing me to run waiststrap of my packs between the handle and the holster without interference. Holster resembles a pouch so it doesn't draw attention.

So what will work for you? I don't know. One thing doesn't even work for me!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

There is a place in Avondale that has a big indoor range and rents handguns. I have not been there but have heard good things about it.
    Target Shooting Solutions, 1056 Gap Newport Pike, Avondale PA.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I've got a ruger sa in 44mag. It's a chunk. In a shoulder rig it's not too bad and unnoticeable under a jacket.

OK we have it all figured out.

The perfect trail gun will be something between .22 and .44 magnum, possibly a 45-70.

The perfect carry method will be suspended in your undershorts by a string tied to the trigger guard or a full bandoleer, across the chest shoulder holster with a 2" wide belt and cartridge loops!

Glad that's all settled and we got Woo all set up.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-17-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I've got a ruger sa in 44mag. It's a chunk. In a shoulder rig it's not too bad and unnoticeable under a jacket.
    Have a couple as well....mostly carry on the outside of my coat when I'm hand gun hunting......
    Generally just were a "Hunter" leather western style holster on my hip...or have done cross draw...if inside the coat.

I don't like the back strap on a shoulder rig...that's three hands to get dressed...several around for various auto loaders....
    Usually modify them to a straight sling...with belt loop...so it doesn't swing around while bending over.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

From bargain bin... I added strapping...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-17-2017 at 04:48 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You gotta be kidding. Why waste all that time thumb-cocking an SA pistol? Without a trigger guard to help hold onto it, a too skimpy butt, just asking for fumbles. In a day of pocket 9mm's, like the Kahr CM, choosing any derringer is just "out there", man.

Price of a Kahr 9mm, base level, $300.
    Price of a Cobra derringer $120.

Poor folks need protection too.

And not everyone is blessed with your bold and daring insight.

yeah, the instruction needed to be any good and the practice ammo, they cost, too.If you plan on just bluffing, why not just use a fake gun? Even a used Keltec 9mm, $150 or so, would be a lot better than such a derringer. at least it'd be faster for the first shot, and you can clear a malfunction as "fast" as you can cock an SA revolver for a second shot.

I"d take a used, (testfire it first) HP22 pocket .22lr auto, $100, any day, before I'd take any derringer. At least I could plink with it.

Besides your other problems you have not found the EDIT button.

It is at the bottom of the post box.

No need to make post after post.

Tic Toc........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

everyone's front pants pocket is the place for a ccw gun. Get a pistol that fits there. It not only is best for normal times EDC, but also for when carrying a pack and/or a rifle. It's not in the way, it's concealed and it's accessible and out of the elements. Kahr CM9, Kimber Solo, Kimber Micro9., Beretta has one, too, Nano maybe, I forget. I"m not a DA guy. Also the Glock 42 or whatever the single stack pocket 9 is called. Millions of people have carried a .38 snub there, over the past 50 odd years, and the 9mm's are smaller, lighter and flatter, so you can carry such a set up, too.
    Last edited by incide; 04-14-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Little tough to get 'em when you sitting down. Still.....

Try a few platforms and see what you like a 9MM or 357 being able to shoot a 6" paper plate at 10 yards in 5 seconds should be your goal.

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    There is a place in Avondale that has a big indoor range and rents handguns. I have not been there but have heard good things about it.
    Target Shooting Solutions, 1056 Gap Newport Pike, Avondale PA.
    Thanks...
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907