Thread: Frugalo living

Banned

Default Frugalo living

Sounds boring but after a life of consumerism (49+ years) Sue and I get a real kick out of not buying stuff. We are constantly told by advertisers that happiness is just a purchase away - but it is all lies. Would love to hear from other forum members about their money saving tricks and tips and how it has made them free. Sue and I no longer have to work a 40 hour week and get a real kick out of life, something the advertisers failed to deliver.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

For 50 years I lived like I was broke, because I was broke. I never worked a 40 hour week, more like 60-70 hours for chicken feed pay to keep the lights on, the bills paid and the kids fed. I would have given anything for a 40 hour a week job that paid $100k and provided something besides hamburger helper to eat and furniture that was not salvaged off the curb or did not come out of a dumpster.

All the money saving short cuts and DYI skills I have are due to living cheap because I had no choice, not as some misguided noble pursuit

Now that I have a little bit of stability and disposable income I am going to spend on what I want when I can. I only wish I could buy more.

I want a bigger house and a flat screen TV that covers one wall and a new truck!

Being broke sucks. Living like you are broke when you are not is...

Well I will just leave it at that.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-14-2017 at 04:22 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

There is a huge difference between what we work for and what we live for.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

We have a nephew and wife living in a tiny house and growing stuff to eat. But they keep posting up pictures of fruit (they are fruitarians) they bought. And when they decided to travel to Thailand to study massage they started a Gofundme account to help pay for it. I can see if your baby needs an operation or something but begging for money for an exotic trip? They are very proud of their frugal lifestyle.

A simple lifestyle is appealing to me as long as I have my ducks in a row in case of an unforeseen emergency money expenditure. Which is where we're at. Unfortunately here in the USA there are a lot of people who don't work and suck off my taxes via government programs. That's a hot button topic for those of us who busted our butts for decades to get to where we are. I'm not saying you do that Antony, but just commentating on what I see happening here.

When I'm healthy I enjoy the fruits of my wife's and my labor very much.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    We have a nephew and wife living in a tiny house and growing stuff to eat. But they keep posting up pictures of fruit (they are fruitarians) they bought. And when they decided to travel to Thailand to study massage they started a Gofundme account to help pay for it. I can see if your baby needs an operation or something but begging for money for an exotic trip? They are very proud of their frugal lifestyle.

A simple lifestyle is appealing to me as long as I have my ducks in a row in case of an unforeseen emergency money expenditure. Which is where we're at. Unfortunately here in the USA there are a lot of people who don't work and suck off my taxes via government programs. That's a hot button topic for those of us who busted our butts for decades to get to where we are. I'm not saying you do that Antony, but just commentating on what I see happening here.

When I'm healthy I enjoy the fruits of my wife's and my labor very much.
    Our recorded unemployment rate in South Africa is 26% , USA is 4.9%
    I can tell you our unemployment rate here is much much higher than what is recorded.. likely more at 40%,
    with various other factors such as B.E.E.E, etc it is a problem getting a job here, I am thankful I have one.

Our currency is WEAK, very very weak, our crime is excessively high, as are many many things..
    Most of us here (even that work) live pillar to post each month, and have resorted to extra incomes from working 2 jobs or having a side business.
    Our government grants are pityful, there is absolutely no way you can live off it,
    our minimum wage was RAISED, repeat RAISED to R3500 a month approx $260 (for a 40hr work week)
    I can relate.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 02-14-2017 at 07:03 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by beepete View Post
    Sounds boring but after a life of consumerism (49+ years) Sue and I get a real kick out of not buying stuff. We are constantly told by advertisers that happiness is just a purchase away - but it is all lies. Would love to hear from other forum members about their money saving tricks and tips and how it has made them free. Sue and I no longer have to work a 40 hour week and get a real kick out of life, something the advertisers failed to deliver.
    How long have you been married?
    If it's longer than a year or two you really blessed....most women will put up with that, even say they enjoy it...For a while....but still really want to go shopping and vacation in Hawaii.

That said, I'm in the busted my but to support DW and kids...care for extended family and generally try to take care of my self.....as best as I can.....Group.

You are to be commended for enjoying that life style.....
    But,
    Have been there,.....could be there again,..... know how if I have to....but don't really want to.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Not too long ago, my wife was starting to talk about getting a smaller house, and paying down debt. Then we started looking at houses.... that changed quick.

As a general principle, everyone should live within their means. Most people don't. Like you said, the advertisers are constantly telling us that we need to buy stuff to be happy. However, those who know, know that you find the greatest happiness spending time with your family, and helping others. If you plan for retirement, and then spend less than what you make, financially, you will be happy. As for how to do it, that is a life long struggle. The first step is to get your housing situation such that you aren't paying more than you can afford. If your mortgage is based off of two incomes, you might want to rethink. Housing is situational, and different for everyone. My last job, I traded closeness to work, for affordable housing in a safe neighborhood. Look for a house that is big enough for your family, but not too big, and as cheap as possible. After that, food is probably the biggest savings you can make. Cook your food, and buy food that you have to cook. This will save you hundreds a month. After food, is clothing. With the large family I have, we pretty much buy all our clothes at thrift stores. It used to be, if you couldn't afford it, you made it yourself. But, thrift stores are cheaper than buying fabric. Luckily, there are lots of people who buy the expensive stuff at the malls, and then get tired of it in a short amount of time, and donate it to thrift stores. Your car is also a way to not spend a lot of money. Dave Ramsey has some great advice on how to go from making a car payment every month, to never having one ever again. And, that leads into the ultimate..... investing. Saving money and not spending it is great...but what we want to do is get to a place where we don't have to trade our time for money.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Staying out of debt is crucial. Or at least getting out of it ASAP if you do have to borrow money. I own my house, both my cars, my boat and I don't have credit cards. The only thing I ever made payments on were my property and my trade school. Where I live there are no property taxes. My monthly bills consist of electricity and phone (yes I still have a landline). I fill up the propane bottles every 4 months, and the vehicle insurance is paid in 6 month cycles to save money.

I hunt and fish, dig clams and shoot ducks so much of my meat is wild. When I grocery shop I always shop the sales and mark down items, and I buy store brand instead of name brand; usually buying more than I need to stock the pantry for times when money is tight. We can or freeze the food that we gather in the wild or what my wife grows in her garden.

We eat meals made at home almost exclusively (last time I had McDonalds was October 2015) and we seek out old fashioned "Americana" recipes because these typically taste great, use simple ingredients and are satisfying. Thirsty for something sweet? Switchel or sweet tea is much cheaper than buying soda. Need a quick snack? In-shell peanuts are very cheap compared to potato chips. Need a delicious hearty breakfast? Johnny cakes with venison sausage and fried eggs is about as cheap as it gets. Cheap camping food? Bannock and hobo dinners fill me up every time.
    Eating cheap and eating little don't have to be the same thing.

Cost of living in Alaska is notoriously high (I just paid $13 for a 5# bag of white rice at the local store...Amazon from now on), so frugal living is just a way of life.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."