Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food and income - trapping makes it easy

Banned

Default Food and income - trapping makes it easy

Sue and I have been trapping for fur and pest control and food for a number of years now in New Zealand. We have learned how to cut our expenses right down by living off grid in a truck and only buying the basics and we love it. Learned a trick while in India. The poor folk their love eating the most basic of foods and are quite healthy for it. The richer folk tend to be quite fat and suffer from diabetes, gout and various other complaints. A hungry man or woman doesn't need fat and sugar to make food palatable - out apettite does it for us and makes the plainest of food taste like a million dollars. Good health and money saved makes for a happy life. ********************
    Last edited by crashdive123; 02-13-2017 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Removed link

I see you are back....not too many hits last go around....?

There are rule against spamming your site and products on this forum
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ules-amp-Staff

2. Do not spam. Spam is a solicitation for members to do something for your benefit. Be that to buy something from you, join your group/society, visit your website, whatever. I don't care if you run a non-profit website benefiting albino eskimos. Pepper the forums with solicitations to join it and you'll be banned, and the links removed. If you have a website or business, your signature (edited in your User CP (see top left)) is the place for it, and we have absolutely no problem with you using your signature to promote your business. So long as that isn't your only contribution to the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Hi. It is not intention to spam and please take down my post if you consider it to be so. I wasn't sure if my last post was even up and running when I last visited your site so thought i would post again and try and touch base with your readership. But just delete my previous post as it is not a for profit site, I just started it a while back to try and get a few young people away from their computers and into the bush and it kind of grew from there. Obviously there are no brustailed possums in the States so it is probably not a good fit anyway. That said, I am really enjoying your site, it has heaps of good information.

If you read to spam rule...it explains that you can post your site or organization in you signature.

Quote>If you have a website or business, your signature (edited in your User CP (see top left)) is the place for it, and we have absolutely no problem with you using your signature to promote your business. So long as that isn't your only contribution to the forum.

Welcome back

Quote Originally Posted by beepete View Post
    Hi. It is not intention to spam and please take down my post if you consider it to be so. I wasn't sure if my last post was even up and running when I last visited your site so thought i would post again and try and touch base with your readership. But just delete my previous post as it is not a for profit site, I just started it a while back to try and get a few young people away from their computers and into the bush and it kind of grew from there. Obviously there are no brustailed possums in the States so it is probably not a good fit anyway. That said, I am really enjoying your site, it has heaps of good information.
    I have removed your link. Please review the forum rules. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ules-amp-Staff
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

To each his own, I suppose. I have no desire to live in a truck and I rather enjoy consuming the two basic food groups, sweets and preservatives. I may go out early but, hey, I'll be well fed and happy. And won't folks have to actually get ON a computer to read your posts? I'll ponder that one a bit.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I would put this guy on ignore but I want to see where this goes.

I know some people living in NZ and this is not normal even for OZ.

BTW if you want the best Indian food in the world you will have to go to London to get it! That is general travel knowledge.

The reason all those poor people are scrounging out a living in India and cooking all that over-spiced swill is because they can not find a way to leave. The reason for the spices and all that flavor is to cover the fact that you are eating boiled crap.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-14-2017 at 02:52 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

Default If it makes you happy - great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    To each his own, I suppose. I have no desire to live in a truck and I rather enjoy consuming the two basic food groups, sweets and preservatives. I may go out early but, hey, I'll be well fed and happy. And won't folks have to actually get ON a computer to read your posts? I'll ponder that one a bit.
    Our lifestyle is not for everyone which is great. It would be a boring world otherwise. We get to do what we love, get paid for it and help the ecology of New Zealand which is in a sorry state of affairs. You need to be highly mobile to do what we do which wht we started living in a truck and discovered that we loved it. We have a relative who is a multi millionaire and loves what he does and can't wait to get up in the morning to get back to work. He is just like us. As for the computer - we need it to do our work, we have the tools we need. Thanks for your post.

Banned

I had some of the best Indian food I've ever eaten in India, though haven't been to England yet to try it over there (but have heard that it is good too). They tend to eat a lot of rice in India which I'm sure you know. I'd hate to be as poor as many of those folk are but the one thing that stuck in my mind was how happy a lot of them are despite having next to nothing. Apparently we have more depressed people in the west per head of population than any 3rd world country. You can be a millionaire with a stack of stuff and be happy and you can live like we do and be happy. I guess Sue and I are just plain happy. Trust you are as well (Sounds like you are). Got to go and hit the hills, have a great day.

Don't fool yourself unto thinking people in 3rd world countries are happier then those who are not. There are reasons those people are constantly trying to leave and go to a place with clean water and toilet paper.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

I would not be happy without toilet paper. Just sayin'....

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Here you go Beepete, truck, van, moped and a back pack, it is all the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o

Thing is I do not believe you are living in the New Zealand bush in a truck. I think you are hiding away in your mom's basement.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

Default Poverty

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    Don't fool yourself unto thinking people in 3rd world countries are happier then those who are not. There are reasons those people are constantly trying to leave and go to a place with clean water and toilet paper.
    I wouldn't wish poverty on anyone and it certainly doesn't make people happy. The reason i was in India in the first place was to try and help a few people out of the terrible situation they are in. Poverty in the 3rd world is a curse full stop. But it didn't stop people from enjoying each others company and their lives and it certainly made them enjoy their rice and the few vegetables and spices they added to it. The point i was trying to make in my first post was that because we tend to eat when we are not really hungry we need to have fatty, spicy or sugery food to really enjoy it. I've learned to really appreciate a bit of venison and a few spuds or rice, especially after a hard day in the hills.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Here you go Beepete, truck, van, moped and a back pack, it is all the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o

Thing is I do not believe you are living in the New Zealand bush in a truck. I think you are hiding away in your mom's basement.
    Very funny. Enjoyed the clip - thanks.

Holy Heck!! Was that clip Hoosier Archer?!

Wow, glad that got cleared up !!!!!! I,m way north of 65,. live on Vancouver island,spend lots of time living ''off the grid''
    I take ALLOPURINOL to keep my gout under control...... I Love to eat salmon,crab,steaks ( moose, elk, beef, ..bear not so much).
    I have a motorhome,and a travel trailer BUT dang, I like my bed in MY house or cabin......
    oh ya, I,m now a licenced ''log-salvor'' (Beachcomber) and I DO NOT want to sell any logs here....

As a younger person,i travelled on motorcycle around the United states and Canada. The living in a truck by ''choice''and eating brown rice and bananas is a throw back to the 60s. Folks I know,living off the grid here on the BIG ISLAND , central B.C.and the south YUKON work 22 hours a day ,. the other 2 are spent sharpning tools and planning for the next day........if u r 4 real,i wish you luck.
    Last edited by WASATCH CHARLIE; 02-27-2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    damn, i can't be hungry,AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been a while...Welcome back.

All that stuff is bad for gout....
    Allopurinol does help....but I still need to watch what I eat.

I went to survival camp few times. First time we been sent to forest and I have been told we have to take care and we will be picked at the end of the week. Was good, but there was a shop not far away so everyone was doing shopping, so that was terrible experience boring. Second time we get gear from the tour guy and after we been sent ( 10 of us ) in different parts of massive forest so that was awesome. hunting meat other people on your way. That was the really good experience, but that was the hardest part- finding food.

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivalDan View Post
    I went to survival camp few times. First time we been sent to forest and I have been told we have to take care and we will be picked at the end of the week. Was good, but there was a shop not far away so everyone was doing shopping, so that was terrible experience boring. Second time we get gear from the tour guy and after we been sent ( 10 of us ) in different parts of massive forest so that was awesome. hunting meat other people on your way. That was the really good experience, but that was the hardest part- finding food.
    what kind of survival camp/outing trip would allow people to go to a shop to buy food?
    Tour guides? I cant say we ever did any survival camp with one of those..
    To me this just sounds like A tourist attraction camping thing with maybe a bit of survival thrown in.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 07-14-2017 at 07:23 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Just so I'm not confused here SurvivalDan. Were you hunting other people you met on your way? 'Cause that would be like a whoa, wait a minute, kind of an outing. Or were you meeting other people on your way? See the difference between meat and meet? Yeah, sort of changes things a bit. But that shopping outing wouldn't be so bad.