Thread: Pennsylvania Game Commission moving forward with semi-automatic rifle use

Default Pennsylvania Game Commission moving forward with semi-automatic rifle use

"HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) – The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners Tuesday unanimously gave preliminary approval to permitting semi-automatic rifles and shotguns for hunters.

Under the proposal, semi-automatic firearms would be available for use while hunting big game, small game and furbearers. A five-round magazine would be required for all semi-automatic rifles, with a total ammunition capacity limited to six rounds."

Full article inside:

http://abc27.com/2017/01/31/pennsylv...tic-rifle-use/

Other sources:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...le-hunting-law

http://timesleader.com/news/630480/g...es-for-hunting

Thoughts?
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

We've been using them forever. Not sure it matters on the 5 round limit. A guy never knows when he's going to run into a zombie horde. Just glad they are loosening up the laws. We recently allow rifle cartridges for deer. Who'd a thunk it?

I guess there used to be magazine size limits......but just had that discussion with one of the guys (retired deputy) at our meeting Tuesday nite.
    Looked it up and the only limits in Wisconsin is for waterfowl.

Glad things a starting to make sense.....many of those laws dealing semi-auto or (auto loader) are a chink and reaso to limit some type of firearms.
    Personally I am more of a fan of Single shot, or bolt gun for hunting....anything past 2-3 shots is usually "expensive noise" and the safety factor shooting after a moving animal.
    But still that should be personnel preference.......not politicians looking to limit your choices.

Congrats on the change in Indiana fromshotgun only, to rifles allowed ...Wisconsin did have shot gun only zones....have changed as well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

KY has some very confusing laws regarding magazine capacity in the hunting field.

Semi-auto centerfire are limited to 10 rounds when hunting large game. No confusion there, except that varmint hunting does not have this restriction.

Shotguns used for large game are restricted to 5 rounds.

Shotguns used for small game are restricted to 3 rounds total, same for waterfowl.

So what you are hunting determines how many rounds you can have in the firearm.

You also can not have a magazine capable of holding more rounds but only loaded to the legal limit. Centerfire magazines can only be capable of 10 rounds max and shotguns must be plugged to 2 rounds in the mag +1 in chamber, not just loaded with 3 rounds.

They're out to get ya !
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I was kinda funny that the person I was having a "discussion" with was a retired deputy....

Here is what I found...
    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WardenWire/W...kup.asp?id=170

Quote>
    Question 6: Is there a magazine size limit for hunting deer?
    Answer: There is not a magazine capacity limit for deer hunting. Hunters may use any size magazine to hunt deer (3 round, 10 round, 30 round are common). Hunters in "shotgun only" areas are able to use as many slugs as their shotgun will hold (no plug needed).

This is for Wisconsin.
    Legal rifle and hand guns
    Quote from Wisconsin Hunting regulations.

It is illegal to:
    • hunt deer with or while in possession of a handgun loaded with any .410 shotgun shell
    ammunition or any shotgun with a bore of .410 or less,
    • hunt with or while in possession of buckshot while hunting deer, except a hunter may possess
    buckshot for harvesting a bobcat during a deer season if in possession of a valid, unfilled
    bobcat harvest permit for an open bobcat season.
    Rifles
    • Rifles must have an overall minimum length of 26 inches with a 16 inch minimum barrel
    length unless the user has a federal license to possess a “short-barreled” rifle.
    It is illegal to:
    • hunt deer with any center-fire rifle less than .22 caliber, any rimfire rifle, or air gun.
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-03-2017 at 03:53 PM.

I'm surprised to hear that about Pennsylvania. We have allot of restrictions when it comes to firearms but we've always been able to use a semi for hunting. I often listen to people doing nothing more than emptying them.

Florida is 5 rounds on center fire. "Centerfire semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds".

I just purchased a 10.5" upper in .300 AAC Blackout. I also bought the SIG SB15 stabilizer brace. Gonna mount it in a quick access rack in the Polaris Ranger. Occasionally, I have wished for a firearm I could grab from the front seat and get a quick bead on a pig or deer.

In British Columbia, Just about every firearm truck owner has a RUSSIAN SKS as a truck gun. For under $200 you get a Russian
    factory refurbished carbine in a box with a new factory sling,cleaning kit,tools,several ammo bags and stripper clips. pinned by law to 5 rounds.... hardwood or laminated stocks... if you like semi autos........still,great survival gun ,cheaper than a ruger mini or an AR.
    damn, i can't be hungry,AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WASATCH CHARLIE View Post
    In British Columbia, Just about every firearm truck owner has a RUSSIAN SKS as a truck gun. For under $200 you get a Russian
    factory refurbished carbine in a box with a new factory sling,cleaning kit,tools,several ammo bags and stripper clips. pinned by law to 5 rounds.... hardwood or laminated stocks... if you like semi autos........still,great survival gun ,cheaper than a ruger mini or an AR.
    Ustacould here as well....about $250 5 years ago......not lately...
    Was at a show sat......None....and only a couple of Mosin Nagants.....Lots of Mauser's and Springfields......