Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help

I think the OP has a little more in mind than what she is putting on the table.

I read that she wants to 'get away' meaning as running away. Going to live in the wilderness with very small children is something a parent does not think of doing (IMHO). They would want their kids to have the best and not living where there is a threat around every corner.

Here is why I say this.

My own mother left when my brother and I were 8 and 9 yrs old. We never knew where she was for a few years. I later found out at age 16 where she was living and went there to see her. Only because mom confided in her mother NOT to tell us where she went for her safety. You see, mom was constantly abused by my dad daily. She saw one opportunity to escape one day and she did.

As I matured I realized that what mom did was to save her soul from the daily attacks by dad. I do not hold her leaving against her at all. As a young child I was all about "I miss mom, where is she?" It was about MY feelings and not hers. I realized as I grew up that she had one chance to escape and she did.

Good for her. However, that left my brother and I to put up with dad's constant drunkenness and abuse. My brother left the house at 16 as soon as he dropped out of school and I left at 17, as soon as I was able to get a car and get the hell out of there.

Good point.

I think she is trying to say more of a comunity who live of in the wild maybe some of you guys know any for her i aimt got a clue were any are

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

A quick google search for communes in GB turns these up. Not sure how close this might be to what you seek and I imagine a cult or two might get into the mix. Due diligence!

http://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk/
    http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...s-2020668.html
    http://www.hipforums.com/forum/topic/67920-uk-communes/

With the description Kyrat outlined for us, I don't blame her for wanting to get out. I feel crowded just visiting my In-laws in Idaho...
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    With the description Kyrat outlined for us, I don't blame her for wanting to get out. I feel crowded just visiting my In-laws in Idaho...
    400 people per square mile and that is averaging things out. Almost 1/3 of the population lives in east England with London being one of the largest cities on the globe, at around 20,000,000 for the city and surrounding areas. Much like living anywhere between Boston and DC.

Speaking of London, one out of three people living there was born outside of England.

I deal with the preppers in the UK daily and they have a universal dream of going off grid in a little cottage in Wales. Wales is going to be the most crowded BOL in the world if a universal disaster occurs!

Scotland, where our OP wants to head is not so popular. Very cold in winter with blizards and winds up to 100mph racing down the valley being common. All the good agricultural areas are already occupied and have been since the last Ice Age. The people are very "clannish" (yea I saw that) and jobs are concentrated in the major cities which everyone is trying to escape in the first place.

On top of that Scotland would not be part of GB if the Brixit vote had been before their independence vote. Most of the vote to stay in the EU was the population of Scotland.

Their situation is not what we would call "good".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

"400 people per square mile"

I'll stick with the 1.4 people per square mile that Alaska enjoys...

By the way that .4 of a person? That's all that's left after a few winters...
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

I would suggest short term trials now and increase the lengths of stay. Hopefully there will be 2 adults would make it easier for sure. Kids sleeping shouldn't be a problem playing in the fresh air will do the trick, keep them involved in the day to day activities. Be glad there not teenagers that would be rough on most of them leaving by friends, electronics etc
    Semper Paratus

Now that is funny, I don't care who you are.......and probably true......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I actually made a mistake on that number. The real density of population is 413 sq/km so the figure per sq/ml is about 4x that number, more than 1600sq/ml for the area of east England.

In contrast, my state of KY has 100 people sq/ml and that is what much of the south and midwest averages. We only hit 1,000p/sq/ml in our major urban areas, the east of England is like living on our eastern megalopolis.

My advice is don't give up on the idea but maybe you have to adjust your sights a bit.
    We moved into a Swiss farm house in a low alpine area.
    The farm had no central heating only a wood fired stove and fire place. To heat the bedrooms you had to open a hatch in the floor above the fireplace, oh and water from our own well.
    No washing machine, tumble dryer etc..
    My kids were 5 & 6 n a bit. They loved it. Our swiss freinds thought we were nuts in a 200yr old farmhouse.. upside .. 3.5hectar of fields,woodland & stream all for a 1/4 of what most pay for 3rooms i got 8 plus 100' of barn & a holiday cottage in the grounds.
    Ok it's hard work, cutting wood, clearing the fields, keeping animals & running a tree nursery but well worth it in the end and my kids, well they are fit, quickwitted & self reliant.
    Follow your dream my freind & dont be put off.
    Good luck

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I spent more than 20 years chasing that dream, until it nearly killed me!

Two back surgeries before age 40 and one heart attack at 50 and I realized that all my attempts to get out of the rat race were not going to get me out of the rat race. Common sense and the demands of the medical profession required me to slow down on the wood cutting, barn building and roof climbing.

What finally got me onto the homestead with proper financing for equipment, maintenance, proper food, clothing and shelter was the fact that I spent all those years "working for the man", climbing the pay scale ladder, building a pension plan and putting in my 40 quarters for Social Security.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-12-2017 at 03:03 PM.