Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help

Default Please help

I was just wondering if any of you have ever gone and lived in the wilderness with your young children?... I have been thinking for a while now about leaving and starting fresh... I have a 2 year old but wouldn't go until he is at least 3/4... so I was hoping that someone out there could help me with how they did it and how their child coped... TIA xx

Welcome to the forum. Could you take a moment or two and do an intro?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...r-Introduction

That will help us give you better advice, insight and opinions.

Yes sorry... I've done that now hehee x

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Lots of us on here have kids of all ages. I have 4 myself. My son was born last spring, and its wasn't two weeks later and we were out camping as a family. All my kids love being outdoors because that's where they spend most of their time! Getting the kids out into the woods and making it fun is critical. Its not about "surviving" or primitive fire building when they are three or four, its about how many bugs they can find, or who has the best walking stick...
    Being outdoors is good for us adults as well.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Yes I imagine that is what they would look for hahaa... I was wondering more about a long term trip or even living out there... xx

I agree 100% with ABM. It is all about making it fun and enjoyable for the little ones. My wife and I had our kids "out" pretty much all their pre-teen years. Both of them today (43 and 41 years old) are avid outdoors people and very comfortable and very capable in the wilderness. I have 7 granddaughters and 3 grandsons and they all hike, camp, hunt and spend time in the woods because they enjoy it.

That sounds amazing...
    I'm just a little worried my son won't sleep lol... he's a nosy one you see... Won't sleep anywhere but he's bed no matter how tired he is incase he misses something... is there anyway I can help him with that? X

Start small and simple.....short walks, eating a sandwich and talking about the bugs, birds, and trees that you have walked by/seen. Both my son and my daughter really enjoyed going out in the woods with me to hunt when they were very young...3 and 4 years old. They both loved it! My son and all 5 of his daughters (and his wife also) are avid hunters. My daughter still enjoys telling people about how much fun it was to help recover the game and take care of cleaning it and preparing it for eating. We started sleeping out under the stars in the back yard in the summer time when they were 6 or 7. We also were going to camping events with other families that had young children about that same time. My children still have very strong ties and friendships with kids they met while camping.

Thank you so much. I'll try that ... it seems like so much fun xx

Quote Originally Posted by Scriblesdevil View Post
    That sounds amazing...
    I'm just a little worried my son won't sleep lol... he's a nosy one you see... Won't sleep anywhere but he's bed no matter how tired he is incase he misses something... is there anyway I can help him with that? X

Does he have a "Favorite or "special" blanket, quilt, stuffed animal or pillow? Be sure and let him take that. Try letting him sleep in the sleeping bag or bedding that you will use in the woods, in his own bed at home...or let him "camp out" on the back porch some night with you of course. Little steps...

My kids don't sleep the greatest the first night of camping (excitement and new surroundings), but they settle in pretty quick and running around all day long in the woods tuckers them out pretty good. We keep a pretty regular bedtime, but during camping trips we let them stay up longer, sitting around the fire. Nary a peep when they finally get sent to bed.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

He has a little stuffed lamb... takes it everywhere with him anyway lol... Yes. I'll try all of this. Thank you xx

Do you want to set up an alternative form of power and just be off grid or do you want a primitive lifestyle with no electricity of any kind?

I guess I a bit confused as well.....
    There ar a lot of consideration beside how a child will sleep or not.
    They get tired, they sleep.....

So what did you have in mind....camping or a trip is one thing,....living off the grid is quite something else.
    Considerations include are:

Location ...where are you headed?

What assets are you planning of bring with you?...Money, tools, skills all sorts of gear, food, water source,

What are you planning on for shelter?....Facilities.... water, latrine, heat, cooling, cooking, transportation

How off grid are you planning on being?....Still maintaining cell and Wifi...and charge it

What are planning on to support your self?

Education for the child?

Not meaning to give you a bad time.....but these are just basic questions that need to be addressed before heading out.

Having a child with you will be the least of your concerns, they can will pretty much follow your lead and survive pretty well even with out a "Binkie"....BUT he/she just needs to have the basic needs taken care of.

Sounds like you have planning to do.

Good luck....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I want the primitive lifestyle tbh...
    I'll be heading toward Scotland.
    There is a lot I haven't figured out and that will all be done before I go... lie I said I'm not planning on going just yet lol x

Then not to be a jerk and to steal an idea from another member.....if you want to know what it's like to live primitive then turn off you power, water and electronics. You can no longer use your appliances and you have to wash clothes in the sink. Try that for a week at home and see how comfortable that is. Then consider that a sample. And read this....

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ve-in-the-Wild

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Seems this person is English and wishing to run off to the woods with infant child! I suppose it is about that time of year again.

All of England north of London dreams of heading for Scotland and living off the land. They see Scotland, with 100 people per square mile, as a vast wilderness.

Truth is that the reason there are a few empty spaces in Scotland is that no one can live there. They have tried for 40,000 years and found it is best to leave that as a national park.

Now if you live south of London the direction you are going s toward Wales, along with the near 20 million other Englishmen wanting a little place of their own.

Being in England what you will find is that there is a counsel in every district and town that tells you what you can build, how you can build it, what materials you can use, what education your kids must have, how you must provide for them and even if there are no CCTV cameras in your woods there will be people coming through and reporting your presence. You are in one of them most densely populated islands in the world, people are everywhere.

I often remind my friends from GB that I live in a well populated rural area of the U.S. and feel overwhelmed by the density of population, and I am dealing with a number that is 1/10 of the population density of most of the UK.

Add to that the fact that every square inch of England is owned by someone and there is no free land and you compound the problems of living your fantasy.

Better keep the day job, do some tent camping with the tot, buy a caravan, and look toward purchasing that little 5 acre place with the cottage and shed on the back road in the Welsh mountains.

As for how to raise your child there??? I raised 2 while living in a rural setting with minimal grid, meaning I had electricity to the tune of 5 light bulbs, a stove and refrigerator. I did not get running water installed for two year after occupying the place. Had a 4 year old and a two year old. We lived there for 5 years and they survived the situation and loved daily life. They are both in their late 30s now and still talk of events that happened there.

It is also demanding and presents dangers one does not have to deaal with in the urban setting. New learning experiences that demand strict supervision and immediate obedience from the child. None of this stopping to beg for obedience or discussion of why it is needed. The result of lack of supervision or lack of obedience can be sudden and immediate injury or death.

Children have been growing up in off grid situations for several million years, if the parent can handle the job.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-11-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I like to go camping. After about four days I'm ready to go home.

Did a fast practice "Bug Out" to our BOL....Prepacked supplies with location stashed.
    One week...piece-o-cake...
    Second week, running out of TP and beer....headed to town for pizza at the saloon, after a resupply stop at Walmart.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Lol. I can only imagine what a week with a toddler in the woods would do. Nightmare!