Thread: Favorite Sharpeners

Default Favorite Sharpeners

Wondering what a good sharpener would be for:

Small stainless steel knife blade (Case Sodbuster, Swiss Army Knives, etc.)

Hatchets/small axes (small camper's axes and boy's axe style heads)

This would be for home use, so bulk and weight doesn't matter. I would like something that is easy to work with and not overly expensive. Thanks

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You are going to get all sorts of recommendations for kits and "sharpening systems" and jigs and gizmos to hold the blade while you work but for the money a good 4 sided diamond hone will do everything you need.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-sided...ock-92867.html

I keep one of these blocks in the work box next to my recliner so I can sharpen knives as I watch TV. I also keep individual flat diamond hones in the kitchen and in the workshop.

You will also need a good file to repair the edges of the axes, machetes and hatchets. If you are really using them eventually you are going to do some damage to the edge and a file is the best repair tool.

I also use ceramic hones to finish the edges as well as a leather strop for the knives I want a super fine edge on.

If you are carrying and using the SAK, from any maker, you are going to need a small stone for touch ups in the field. Those knives will not hold an edge for long and need constant care. It is the same for almost all stainless steel knives.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-08-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Pretty much what Kyrat said, I've tried just about every gizmo out there and I keep coming back to a bench stone. Used to be I could never get a good edge with one, but after culinary school it was mandatory that we learn proper sharpening. Stick with it and you'll get better. I do touch up on a ceramic or steel.

For axes and machetes I use a belt sander with a worn 200 grit belt.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

2 X 72 belt sander. Not very portable, but efficient.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    If you are carrying and using the SAK, from any maker, you are going to need a small stone for touch ups in the field. Those knives will not hold an edge for long and need constant care. It is the same for almost all stainless steel knives.

I have one of these for touching up penknives that I use a lot:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

But it doesn't give you a really nice or consistent edge if the blade needs a good sharpening

I will stop into HF for the file you recommended, thanks for the link

My chain saw box has chain files along with a 8" Nicholson mill bastard file for the ax, hatchet or machete.

Piece of 6" Mill Bastard File in my bag hunting bag, one edge ground down to a 90 degree flat edge for striking a piece of flint
    File gets used on knives if they really screwed up, but do carry a small Norton stone...1/2 by about 3"......

Lately have been carrying a pocket mini ceramic to dress up knives in the field after the stone. Something like this...
    http://www.keepshooting.com/gerber-c...sharpener.html

One drawer in the new knife bax is full of every seen on TV and super neato ultra sharpeners.....That I never use, but "might some day"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The basic WORKSHARP does a pretty good job, but practice on a knife you don't value.

Harbor Freight 1x30 belt sander for sharpening jobs that arent just touching up an already good edge.
    I also use the Basic WorkSharp for touch ups.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    Harbor Freight 1x30 belt sander for sharpening jobs that arent just touching up an already good edge.
    I also use the Basic WorkSharp for touch ups.
    I guess I though were were talking about "carry with you sharpeners"

Tried carrying a belt sander....no place to plug in....

PS my bad....talking shop sharpeners....
    Bench grinder and Craftsman belt sander.
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-15-2017 at 10:05 PM.

My new favorite is Spyderco rod system followed by stropping,scary sharp
    Semper Paratus

+2 on the Spyderco Tri-Angle for small blades. Works like a charm.
    Last edited by ChuckDT; 05-03-2017 at 01:52 PM.

My top favorites are:

Smith's DFPK Diamond Precision Knife Sharpening Kit
    KME Sharpeners KFS Knife Sharpening System
    AGPtek Professional Kitchen Knife Sharpening System
    Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System
    Edge Pro Apex 4 Knife Sharpening System

sandra...
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome....From Wisconsin
    There is a Intro section to say Hello....
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Wandering through Harbor Freight I picked up four of their $9 four sided diamond hones (had to make double sure of that spelling). Gave one to each son and kept one for myself. They work great for kitchen knives, filet knives, and utility knives. At camp I use a carborudum stone. I like that edge for skinning and butchering. For general use pocket knives I will use a carborundum stone or a coarse Arkansas stone. For my "Bar-B-Que knives" nothing touches their edge but a fine Arkansas Stone if that, mostly because they never get used for their designed purpose.

But, I never use a grinding stone or a belt sander or any other kind of power tool on a knife blade.

Several (about 20) years back I found a "Dia-sharp" in a local feed store. Its a diamond hone the size of a credit card that fits in a little plastic case. It still gets me out of pinch every now and then when I have neglected to keep a sharp knife. I bought one for myself and one for my dad. I haven't seen them for sale since.

Each day I have at least four blades on my person. I carry a Leatherman Micra, an original Leatherman, an Old Timer LB7, and a Ken Onion Chive. I will trade out the Chive for various other pocket knives but the other three are standard equipment.

In that other life I mentioned, I was also a High School Administrator. One of the constant issues was kids having a knife at school. I made more teachers mad at me because of my contention that every young man (and young woman) should carry a knife at all times…. yes, all times. I wouldn't allow a belt knife or folder worn on the belt, but pocket knives were okay with me for school. If a kid was in shop class or Ag class then he/she could use their folder for use in the shop or Ag barn. I don't know how many times a teacher would march a kid down to the office just sure of a suspension, only to be met with my philosophy on knives.

A knife is a symbol of responsibility. It is a tool, possibly man's oldest and most useful tool, and tools can cause damage or harm if they are handled irresponsibly. So, possession of a knife teaches responsible behavior. There is no more important lesson to be learned in school or life than responsible behavior.

So there.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 07-05-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Oh, I almost forgot. In the life before last, I worked for a lumber, hardware and concrete company. I have found some really good sharpening stones in the aggregate pile. The best ones were a hard kind of sandstone that was sort of cigar shaped. For just a plain old rock they ere excellent sharpeners. I'd search through the pile till I found one, use it until I lost it and go get another one. I still have some somewhere in all my junk. When I die somebody is going to get a lot of treasure that looks like rocks.

Alan

Gibbs rule # 9.....never go anywhere without a knife.....

For the money it's hard to beat a Kalamazoo 1x42" belt grinder. Tons of belts available- not quite as many as for the 2x72" but a lot- and not super expensive. I think I paid $150 or so for mine. It has a Baldor motor which is worth that much money by itself. With a grinder you can easily get hair-popping edges but you can do a lot more, like heavy duty repairs, fixing broken tips and serious reprofiles.