Thread: Can anybody identify this plant?

Default Can anybody identify this plant?

This plant was found next to a pond, under a juniper bush. It has a square stem and opposite leaves, just like a lamiaceae, and even smells a tiny bit like mint when I crush it. However, the leaves are smooth with entire margins, which is not normal for lamiaceae plants as far as I know. It also has two points on the back of the leaf that remind me of ipomoea.

UQlPpOSg.jpg
    IpTLzRVg.jpg
    vxks7Wjg.jpg
    uphPFb3g.jpg

Thanks!

Edit: Crashdive123 suggested adding in some more information.

This is central Alabama, zone 7b, taken just yesterday (Feb 6). It's on my college campus, in the soil on the other side of a concrete wall enclosing a tiny "lake." The soil was very moist underneath a thick layer of pine straw (3 inches or more). There are no flowers and no woody parts, at least not yet. I believe it is new, within the past month, but it could be growing back from last year. Each stem goes (almost) straight up, and they're on average a foot high right now.
    Last edited by Emrysmerlin; 02-07-2017 at 03:53 PM.

We have several people here that are good with plants (unfortunately I'm not one of them). I'm sure they will be along soon to chime in. In lieu of that, your local extension office or University horticulture department may be able to help.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome......From Wisconsin.

When some one is attempting to id a plant.....there are several things to consider along with a good pic.
    Like any detective story....Need facts...the more information the better.

You gave very little information when posting.

Your location....growing zone?
    Location of plant?...what habitat...ie wet dry high/low ground, soil, sun shade...
    Time of the year pic was taken?....Flowers?
    New growth? mature?
    Stalk...?, vine?, woodie or soft?....tall?....short,

Picture with reference object is helpful....maybe a tape rather than your knee?

Crash's suggestion is excellent....Contact you local school, collage, county agent or even farm bureau
    Good luck.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome......From Wisconsin.

When some one is attempting to id a plant.....there are several things to consider along with a good pic.
    Like any detective story....Need facts...the more information the better.

You gave very little information when posting.

Your location....growing zone?
    Location of plant?...what habitat...ie wet dry high/low ground, soil, sun shade...
    Time of the year pic was taken?....Flowers?
    New growth? mature?
    Stalk...?, vine?, woodie or soft?....tall?....short,

Picture with reference object is helpful....maybe a tape rather than your knee?

Crash's suggestion is excellent....Contact you local school, collage, county agent or even farm bureau
    Good luck.
    Thanks for the tips. I'll edit in that info, and I'll get in touch with my local extension office in the mean time.

I called ours on a bug I had on a butter fly bush......looked liked a giant bumble bee....they had a student call me back to let me know it was "Bumble Bee Spinx Moth...."
    They were helpful....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You are on a college campus. Think about that for a second!

Those zones have what is known and a Biology Department. I know they exist because I was forced to take a biology course in one of them once. Take a sample of your discovery there and ask what it is.

If that does not work walk over to the Agriculture Department and they will tell you what kind of weed it is and what to spray it with to kill it!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You are on a college campus. Think about that for a second!

Those zones have what is known and a Biology Department. I know they exist because I was forced to take a biology course in one of them once. Take a sample of your discovery there and ask what it is.

If that does not work walk over to the Agriculture Department and they will tell you what kind of weed it is and what to spray it with to kill it!
    I don't know who I would talk to, haha. But it would be worthwhile to figure that out. I don't even know where the biology department is located!

Here ya go. https://bsc.ua.edu/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Emrysmerlin View Post
    I don't know who I would talk to, haha. But it would be worthwhile to figure that out. I don't even know where the biology department is located!
    Yep, sounds like a personal problem to me. While I was not an art major I sure knew where the Art Department was, as well as the Math, English and the freekin' hippie Media Arts and Recording departments were. (they won an Emmy Award for doing the music for Ken Burns Civil War miniseries and the money went into a massive scholarship endowment fund)

WTH is happening when one can roam around as a student on a college campus and not know where the Biology department is located???

Every student should have basic botany and zoology as a graduation requirement! When I was in school you could not advance to your chosen field of study until the basic prerequisites were completed! Botany was a first year course.

Oh, sorry!

For a second there I forgot we were talking about Alabama!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hey, it could be a General Studies major. Sheesh.

Interesting , to me it looks like a Purslane but also a has a leaf like Sorrel.
    However i'm in Europe and have no experience with fauna and flora over there.

Simon