Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2018

Wow, that is sad..........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Wow and yet another one today! What the heck? Bears be cranky.

Fatal bear attack reported at Pogo Mine

Jun 19, 2017 Updated 1 hr ago
     (0)

POGO MINE, Alaska – Pogo Mine company officials have confirmed a fatal bear attack on a contract employee this morning.

The incident has been reported to the Mine Safety & Health Administration and to the Alaska State Troopers. The mine is cooperating with the appropriate agencies to investigate.

Pogo is an underground gold mine 38 miles northeast of Delta Junction in the Goodpaster River valley. It is owned and operated by Sumitomo Metal Mining Pogo LLC. The mine operates year-round, with about 350 full-time and 150 contract employees. Employees live on-site for multi-day shifts in a camp environment.

It is the second fatal bear attack in two days in Alaska. On Sunday, a 16-year-old runner participating in a race on a mountain ridge southeast of Anchorage was fatally mauled by a black bear.

No further details are available at this time.
    http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska...c4a4bb5fc.html
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Most likely just said.....

"I just woke up and lookie all the crowd that showed up while I was sleeping.....
    Time to thin the herd....."?

With the recent bear stories, this is a good one that came across my newsfeed today.

Published on Jan 16, 2017
    River Mike has lived in a tent camp in remote interior Alaska for 20+ years, after an encounter with a black bear coupled with his failing health Mike decided to re join society. My son and I were part of the effort to extract Mike and his camp. My son shot this video while he walked us through the event. This is not the entire video due as it was sent to me via text. I think i have some other clips and a lot of pictures i will upload if this draws any interest. I found Mike absolutely entertaining and the environment he lived in astounding. We had to take an airboat up river, then wade through a channel to a slough where we paddled a canoe to a trail and hiked about a half mile to his camp. There is no road access at all

Now that's a an overall smudger for sure....Wow.

It does sound like he kept pretty calm, smart. Kudos to him for that.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Wow, two more maulings yesterday.

‘I can’t exaggerate how fast this was’: 2 injured in separate brown bear attacks Saturday

James Fredrick credits his friend Alex Ippoliti for saving his life when a brown bear attacked him Saturday morning as the two biked on a gravel road on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson. Fredrick is recovering at Providence Alaska Medical Center from his injuries. (Courtesy James Fredrick)
    James Fredrick credits his friend Alex Ippoliti for saving his life when a brown bear attacked him Saturday morning as the two biked on a gravel road on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson. Fredrick is recovering at Providence Alaska Medical Center from his injuries. (Courtesy James Fredrick)

On Saturday morning, James Fredrick and his friend Alex Ippoliti were biking down a well-used gravel road on military land near Clunie Lake in Eagle River when they heard a rustling in the bushes.

The two friends were already hyper-aware after two fatal, predatory black bear attacks last week that have set Alaskans on edge.

"With all the things that had been going on, I made sure I had my bear bell on and bear spray with me," said Ippoliti, who lives in Eagle River.

What happened next came so fast that Fredrick, who lives in Anchorage, is still turning it over in his mind from the hospital bed where he is recovering from being attacked by a brown bear. It was one of two brown bear maulings in Southcentral Alaska Saturday.

Fredrick says his friend saved his life.

Shortly after they heard the rustling sound, a brown bear emerged from the woods and ran "20-30 yards" toward them, Ippoliti said. Suddenly, the bear was on Fredrick, pulling him from his bike.

"I immediately just started yelling 'help,' " Fredrick said in a phone interview from his hospital bed Sunday. "I can't exaggerate how fast this was. I don't think it lasted more than 7 or 8 seconds."

While the bear was biting and clawing him, Fredrick remembers thinking that he should try to get the bike between himself and the animal.

Ippoliti was able to get bear spray out, he said.

When the bear left Fredrick and turned toward him, Ippoliti "emptied an entire tank" of spray on it, driving it back into the woods.

Fredrick said he didn't have bear spray with him, and will be forever thankful his friend did and was able to use it.

"Alex straight up saved my life," Fredrick said Sunday. "I'd be dead right now without Alex."

Next, Ippoliti took his shirt off "for a tourniquet and asked me to hold it on my neck while he stood there, yelling at the bear," Fredrick said.

It wasn't until after the bear had gone that the men noticed a cub in the tree above. They had not seen it before the attack, Ippoliti said.

After that things get fuzzy for Fredrick.

"I was losing a lot of blood," he said.

The two walked away from the site of the attack, maybe about a quarter of a mile down the road, both said. They called for help and were picked up by medics.

Fredrick said he sustained major lacerations to his neck and lost part of his bicep muscle in the attack. A doctor told him the neck wound was so close to his carotid artery that it was visible from the wound itself, he said. He also had to get stitches on his eyebrow and nose.

Fredrick says the fatal maulings of last week were heavy on his mind even before Saturday. He never imagined this summer's succession of bear attacks would include him, but he doesn't attribute it to anything other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"I just completely think it's coincidence. I can't in any way rack it up to anything else."

Fredrick said that he's recovering from the shock of the event.

"In the emergency room, I was like, I'll never be able to go in the woods again," he said.

Just one day later, he doesn't think that's true.

Alaska Department of Fish and Game spokesman Ken Marsh said biologists are investigating the mauling. Based on initial information, they don't consider it a predatory attack but a "defensive attack" by a brown bear.

"It sounds like the sow did what brown bears often do when they perceive a threat," he said.

2 brown bear attacks in 1 day

The second attack happened Saturday evening, on a road outside of Hope, a small Turnagain Arm community. Troopers were called to a reported bear attack at 11:40 p.m., according to an online dispatch posted by the agency Sunday.

Joshua Brekken, 45, was "walking on Palmer Creek Road when he came across a sow brown bear and cub," troopers wrote.

Palmer Creek Road is a 12-mile gravel road that climbs from the Hope highway area near Turnagain Arm to a high valley.

Brekken was "getting some firewood for his cabin out in the area," Marsh said. "He and his dog were walking on a trail out back of a cabin when he looked up and saw a brown bear in front of him."

The bear was about 30 yards away when it charged, troopers wrote. The man tried to climb a tree, but the bear "swatted him out of the tree and injured him" before taking off into the woods with the cub, according to troopers.

Brekken sustained "minor injuries" and went to the hospital on his own, troopers wrote.

Marsh said the two bear attacks this weekend differ in important ways from the fatal maulings of a young runner and a biologist working at a remote mine last week.

"There are two distinctive types of attacks — one that's more troubling than another."

The Pogo Mine and Bird Ridge maulings both appear to have been predatory attacks by black bears, Marsh said, which are "extremely troubling and very, very rare." Biologists are still trying to understand the circumstances of those attacks, which happened within 48 hours of each other.

This weekend's encounters were both what biologists call "defensive" attacks. That's when a surprised brown bear with cubs lashes out to "neutralize" what they see as a threat to their offspring, Marsh said.

For those wondering what's behind the string of four human-bear encounters — including two deaths — in the space of a week, Marsh does not have answers.

"There's no denying we've had a high number of attacks in a very short span of time. I've talked to a couple biologists about this and the answer is — nobody really knows why yet."
    https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017...aska-saturday/

Thought does occur to me......
    Why run off to the wilderness, in Alaska with just your Bigazz knife.....
    .....or do y'all just invite these guys as bait?.....LOL

I know exactly how that would play out for me.

Me: Screaming like a school girl.
    Bear: "Would you stop?!"
    Me: "Are you going to eat me?"
    Bear: "Not with you screaming like that!"
    Me: Screaming like a school girl.

Bear country survival skill: Build a scarecrow...um, scarebear. Get a bunch of brush and stuff, and make it in the shape of a big creature about 20 feet high, arms outstretched, face painted so a bear will recognize it as such. Have it ready to raise up in the air while growling real mean-like.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    Bear country survival skill: Build a scarecrow...um, scarebear. Get a bunch of brush and stuff, and make it in the shape of a big creature about 20 feet high, arms outstretched, face painted so a bear will recognize it as such. Have it ready to raise up in the air while growling real mean-like.
    Good luck with that...LOL
    Pic's or it didn't happen.......

I didn't have time to take a pic. I was running away while the bear mauled my scarecrow thingy.

- William Arthur Ward

Heh, Alaskans know how to do airport layovers.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I once saw a guy in Detroit do that. He woke up hanging from two tree straps and his hammock was gone.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Whew summers are our busy time of year. So much to do, so little time. About the time deep exhaustion sets in, winter comes. That's the time to rest. Here's what's been going on.

My FULL fuel tank decided whoever placed it directly on the ground was an idiot. We have been having lots of rain and the ground was soft but I can't believe I didn't catch it before that it had no foundation underneath it.

Luckily the corner caught on the side of the water tank!

Luckily me and ex boyfriend are still friends as he has pumps, barrels, and know how.

Emptying the tank.

While we were at it we plumbed in new fittings and a better water block filter.

Had my housewarming/bonfire/jam session finally. (That's my shop.) It was super fun.

Ugh, the bags under my eyes! I need winter!

This is the beer that was left over! I'm still working on it...

One of my nieces and her best friend came to visit. It was very nice having them here. I hadn't seen her since she was a toddler as my sister took her kids and disappeared for 20 years. This niece left home at 16, lived with a friend and her family, finished high school, put herself through college and just finished her first year as a special education teacher in Arizona. So proud of her for getting out of the life my sister leads. Hers was the first birth I attended and what set me on the path to becoming a doula.

Took them camping in Denali.

Even though we had a bit of rain, they were little troopers.

I have this ongoing list on my fridge, dry erase... After she left, a package from Amazon showed up with several of these items and a NEW BOW! My bow hairs finally reached the limit and wouldn't tighten up any more. I was borrowing one from a friend.

Oh Alaska.

My beautiful daughter skated with her roller derby group in the Golden Days parade. Gosh she is turning out to be a beautiful person inside and out.

Oh yea, we have started on painting her room. My son turned 19! What a way to make one feel old huh?

My small starter garden is producing beautiful peas and these are the first two green beans. I have one tomato ripening so far out of the many on the branches, yay!

These are going in my dinner tonight.

Every year UAF holds its Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival where they bring in all sorts of arts related teachers from all over the world for a 2 week series of classes. All sorts of music, song writing, cooking, dancing, story telling etc. Some ladies from my Sunday jam sessions sponsored me for two classes so I took a Celtic Fiddle class and a Norwegian Fiddle class. The Norwegian class was very interesting but didn't really compare to my first love of Celtic music.

And of course, every Sunday at The Golden Eagle Saloon in beautiful, downtown Ester, Alaska.

Oh yea, some of my wildflowers.

Shoot, thought I was almost done but forgot to tell you about my brakes going out. Not wearing out. Going out as in "OH CRAP!" Caliper and something else broke, peddle to the floor. Luckily I was in a parking lot and going slow. With the tow it was almost $500 that I didn't have. So I had a henna fundraiser and made almost the full amount. Close enough that I could still pay my mortgage anyways.

Plus I got a commission to do a couple of skulls. That's going to be fun.

Good to see you back....Look like fun was had by all..........

I guess it would be hard to pack a whole summer worth of fun....in 4 days.

What do you mean "Beer left?"

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Good to see you back....Look like fun was had by all..........

I guess it would be hard to pack a whole summer worth of fun....in 4 days.

What do you mean "Beer left?"
    Lol just about everyone brought a case or so, so there was beer left. I had that tote and my big ice chest full and it still all didn't fit. And no one seemed interested in taking their back.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Lol just about everyone brought a case or so, so there was beer left. I had that tote and my big ice chest full and it still all didn't fit. And no one seemed interested in taking their back.
    Tough job...someone has to do it.....You need to bear down.

Had a friend that was moving out of state....Had a "Come over a drink up all the booze" party.....
    We had to make a beer run later in the evening(morning?).....
    Good party....

Hahha sounds like it!

Well socks and big fluffy house coat just wasn't cutting it today. Even though it's STILL AUGUST, I had to do it.

Last edited by 1stimestar; 08-19-2017 at 04:37 PM.