Thread: Water filter question

Default Water filter question

Sorry gang but honestly I'm just to lazy to search different topics/ threads today. Anyway my question is I'm putting aside part of my tax refund this year for a good water filter(s) one to replace the sawyer straw type one in my B.O.B and something for the house or B.O.L have been looking at the crown berkey but I'm unsure of it. Mainly it's size as a counter top filter as well as cost. At almost $300 for the filter AND another almost $300 for a set of replacement filters, I'm not sure of going that way. Plus the older style ( berkey plus?) I have for our home here that I was gifted is kind of a pain to use/ clean. Any suggestions you may have would be helpful. I've always believed in taking the advice of someone who has used and is happy with something over just searching the store or online.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Take a look at this. I have two of these set up. It's cheap, runs 0.2 micron and handles 14 gallons of water per day.

http://www.internetprepper.com/index...roducts_id=274

Thanks Rick! Did a quick look see I'll give it a better check. Worse case the website is another source for LTS stuff. Prices look good as well.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

On this note, by the way...I had another idea once so at that time did some research on it, finding out that experiments in this area have been done. Wondering if anyone has any experience with something like this, and it might be something for oldsoldier to consider...

Is basically a solar water distiller. Can be done in different forms, but an example would be a hole in the ground perhaps 10x10, lined, and a greenhouse type of structure over it. Might use a premolded mini fishpond shell, etc. Ground water seeps into it if not lined, or you constantly add water from somewhere that isn't otherwise drinkable. The evaporated water condenses and drains down the transparent walls and collects...etc...

According to experiments done, one thing of the above size can yield enough drinking water for a couple people every day. (One of the experiments I ran across involved about a hundred little bitty dark colored doo-dads floating in the water to increase the vaporization.) This would be just a basic approach...how you employ it, combine it with other things, how you tweak it, is subjective and holds possibilities.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 02-04-2017 at 06:05 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward