Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geezer alert.....

Ya know...I can "figure out" all this new tech stuff and use it, but I just have a violent aversion to it. God, why do I want to screw around with all that crap?! I'd spend the majority of my time my whole life constantly using it, adjusting my settings, updating, and then using it some more. And all for no real point. It all seems so bizarre to me. With exceptions that're the minority of functions, people aren't really doing anything. It's like some big sucker scam. I mean...it's a serious question...what are they all really doing?? Eeww...it even feels offensive in some way.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    Ya know...I can "figure out" all this new tech stuff and use it, but I just have a violent aversion to it. God, why do I want to screw around with all that crap?! I'd spend the majority of my time my whole life constantly using it, adjusting my settings, updating, and then using it some more. And all for no real point. It all seems so bizarre to me. With exceptions that're the minority of functions, people aren't really doing anything. It's like some big sucker scam. I mean...it's a serious question...what are they all really doing?? Eeww...it even feels offensive in some way.
    I think that when ever I see a cell phone attached to their hand...what is so important?......or taking a run thru the park....Wearing head phones?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I had everyone over last Sunday for a birthday celebration and the kids and grand kids were all sitting in the living room "on the phone". I proudly announced..."You know when I was a young man there was this thing that often occurred. Well out of existence these days and few people have heard of it but way back then it was called face to face communication. Everyone looked at me for about three seconds then went back to their phone. In other words...put the phones down. They figured out what I was talking about the second go 'round.

I like two kinds of technology - technology that fits a need - right now, and technology that has no practical use. If I had the money, I would buy every gadget in the Edmund catalog.

I finally bought a cellphone when I realized that I could use it to measure stuff on the trail. I do a lot of technical hiking (in other words, hiking for the purpose of studying things) and my main piece of equipment has become my cellphone.

The other day, I realized that my multimeter would no longer interface with my computer and I needed some way to track information for a video that I'm making. So I bought a data logger and after looking it over, I realize that I'm going to have a blast with this thing once I figure out how to use it.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Technology has phased out a lot of skills that I think will one day be wanted. There are things that my grandparents knew and I should know but, don't.

Well, I'm an advocate of lifelong learning. I don't believe that information ever goes away. What does go away is the ability to recover the knowledge. The ability to recover knowledge, to figure things out, is the important thing. Your grandparents might have known how to make soap. It takes ashes and fat. If you know how ashes and fat work, you can figure out the rest. A few tries, the loss of a little skin by trying to use harsh soap to bathe, some adjustments, and I bet you'd have it.

I'd bet there are a few tricks you've learned that your grandparents didn't know. I'd say that because I'm still learning new things from these people I live with and they're thoroughly modern and most of them are considerably younger than me.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I spend time on my laptop. I've met some good people with similar interests like camping, whitewater, and mountainbiking.

I don't get online much on my phone. My eyes are too bad (HATE my progressive lens' glasses) and my fingers are too fat.

Like my lap top as well.....but don't do "social media"...
    Just BS'in with y'all.....
    Ahhh,... I mean.... Sharing information, experiences and pics.... with like minded people all over the world.

Google..... for just about any any subject, maps and images....Even found some of my pic's listed of my stuff...and a few of those used in someone blog....???

Makes me wonder about a resume I posted on Monster..dot com....in 1998?????
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-05-2017 at 11:16 AM.

This is one of the good sites for lifelong learners. There's all kinds of stuff stored here and then people can go out and try it.

Your right. Information never goes away I just forget where the heck I put it.

I read an article last week that we have to sleep because our neurons gather so much information during the day they have to be given time to deflate. I don't know if it's true or not but that's what I'm going with from now on. Inflated neurons from too much information. Love it.

I like the buffalo herd theory....

The Buffalo Theory as told by Cliff Clavin: No one can explain this as well as Cliff Clavin, on Cheers.

One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to his buddy Norm. and here's how it went:

"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

Borrowed from...
    http://incolor.inetnebr.com/mjboesen...lo_Theory.HTML

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    The other day, I realized that my multimeter would no longer interface with my computer and I needed some way to track information for a video that I'm making. So I bought a data logger and after looking it over, I realize that I'm going to have a blast with this thing once I figure out how to use it.
    What did you get? I have found that a good Arduino with a SD card slot and a small clock attached make a great data logger.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Note...Geezer alert!

Had to get blood work at the lab done this morning.
    Sitting in the waiting room with about 9 other people.....

>>>>>>>>No One On Their Phone!<<<<<<<
    But I gonna guess all over 60......LOL

Isn't that something???..... that I would notice that these days.

It's always the odd thing that stands out. Like my different colored socks or the fact that my pants might be on inside out.

I have an Arduino to use with my cellphone. This logger is a DataQ DI-145. It has 4 analog inputs and two digital inputs, and software for my laptop.

Hunter, most doctor's offices I've been in require patients to turn off their cellphones...but they don't usually enforce it. Maybe your doctor is a stickler for discipline. Does he like leather?

I see what you did there.

I'm quite subversive sometimes.

I have an Arduino to use with my cellphone. This logger is a DataQ DI-145. It has 4 analog inputs and two digital inputs, and software for my laptop.

Hunter, most doctor's offices I've been in require patients to turn off their cellphones...but they don't usually enforce it. Maybe your doctor is a stickler for discipline. Does he like leather?
    Don't know...but does like goat meat....LOL

I'm quite subversive sometimes.
    Subversive or submissive?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, I figured it was a typo too.