Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HUNTER 63 - Cataract Surgery

Default HUNTER 63 - Cataract Surgery

Hunter 63, in your "Raffle" thread you mentioned you were going to have cataract surgery the next day.

How did it go? Any complications?

Hope you're doing well.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Yeah, did have it (right, shooting eye)....went very well....Easy, don't feel much of anything....

Eye bandage was not real pretty.
    Had to get that off the Wed. along with a whole waiting room full of other patents....LOL

Thanks for asking.

Worse part was the nurse poking me about a dozen time for the IV.....not so good at it....and kept telling my what she was doing....
    Finally had to tell he I was trying to go to my "happy place" and didn't want to hear it.
    She says I needed it as I was dehydrated.......Duh, Ya think?...nothing to eat or drink since midnight?

That was Tues....so it's been eye drops 4 times a day....

Kinda weird, I'm not sure if I need to wear my glasses or not...LOL...but will need to check out "night vision" for lights.....were just looking like "star bursts"...really hope that is better.

We will see (get it? ...ha ha,...joke... We will see?)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This is one surgery that will give you a new outlook on life! (see what I did there?)

I had mine done 8 years ago and it made a world of difference in my general life. Hobbies that needed close and precise work were doable again.

I was also able to use open sights again!

I had not been able to use open sights for 30 years and had cut out my competition shooting completely. I had also stopped shooting handguns except for my scoped models, and returned to medium and long range open sight handgunning.

I can also now find little tiny things I drop on the floor!

You are going to love it!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-29-2017 at 02:46 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hunter 63 and Kyratshooter, thanks for the replies. Glad both of you have had no complications and your sight improved.

I go in Tuesday morning for cataract surgery, right eye. Going for the distance lens as I'm so used to using reading glasses it doesn't bother me. I'd rather not have to use glasses when I walk outside or drive, etc.

I'll let you know how it goes afte a couple of days or so.

Thanks again.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Good luck was easy for me even though I am a wimp on hospital stuff.

Worst parts are... no coffee in the morning and the IV

Doc and nurse were talking about eating goat meat?????

Good luck gentlemen...............Cataracts run in my family. So far so good for me but I'm a kid.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Y'know. My cataract surgeries were fantastic. I had no problems at all. But I'm glad I waited until afterwards before looking at the YouTube.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yea, do not look at the You-tube!

You do not want to know what they are doing past a general expatiation.

I had a great Doctor and I can not say enough good things about her.

I think the distance lens is always a good choice. My doctor recommended that direction ranter than the bifocal lens.

She also said that some patients go for the distance lens on one side and the close lens on the other. She said they adapted very quickly and their brain did some kind of trick which fooled their eyes into thinking both were working normally!

I have not had the left done but I probably will need it eventually.

I can remember when cataract surgery was a 2 week in the hospital thing with your head sandbagged into one position. Now it is same day surgery and is headed toward even less invasive methods.

Get back to us Seniorman and let us know how it is going.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Good luck...., and for sure let us know.
    I never look at You Tubes for this stuff.....some things are best not known.
    Would rather hear about eating the goat meat(?)

I have the start of them but doc wants to wait a while. Nothing in the world bothers me UNTIL you start messing with eyes then mine water like I'm crying. Hate eyeball stuff. Now, if they could do cataract surgery for your ears I'd be first in line.

Aye. I took the close up lenses for both eyes. I'm very pleased with the results. I never wear my glasses around the house. The only problem is, I often have to turn around and go back for my glasses when I leave the house. It's great entertainment for everyone else that lives with me. Hiking requires the glasses but when I stop somewhere to eat, I have to lay them aside. For some reason, it doesn't feel right to eat with my glasses on.

Of course, when they finished my surgery, my lens prescriptions were different, so I had to get new glasses.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Thoughts and prayers for those that have had it and about to get it. For me - so far - no onset of cataracts. I've decided to put it off as long as possible.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's kinda funny...not eating with glasses on.
    From 18 years old working in a factory...worn safety glasses every day...and was until much later that they started with prescription in them.
    I feel naked with out something over my eyes when working on things....and have to say...broke several pair of glasses by stuff hitting them, that could have been an eye.

I do a lot of close up work at home and, when things are near, I feel like I need to pull my glasses down my nose to be able to look over them. Most of what I do at home, I no longer need glasses.

Colorado's sun is brutal so I prefer a real shade (baseball cap) to sunglasses, but I keep some clip-ons available. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't see ultraviolet - that used to be a "side effect" of cataract surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Doc and nurse were talking about eating goat meat?????
    Goat meat is good, Farmers Market, also have had Emu meat, and Yak meat, as well as very lean grass fed beef.

Rancher

Hunter and Kyrat, glad your procedures went well. Seniorman, praying your goes just as well. GEtting old(er) sucks. nI had my eyesight checked last year, paid extra for their new fangeled computerized computer generated map of my eyes. Supposed to be better than having the pupils dilated got two pair of glasses, one with bifocals, and one without so I can wear them while looking through the microscope. We don't have to nice microscopes that are hooked into the computer yet, those are awesome.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by cow_rancher View Post
    Goat meat is good, Farmers Market, also have had Emu meat, and Yak meat, as well as very lean grass fed beef.

Rancher
    I have no doubt about THAT.......But Hey, Pay Attention...OK?....EYE...Hey I'm down here, My eye.......I don't care about your goat meat.

LOL, snork!

Don't worry. Your eye probably tastes pretty good, too.

Don't worry about the goat meat conversation. You don't have to worry until the doctor says...

"Hand the the mini needle."
    "I did."
    "You did? Oh, heck. Don't move your eye."

had both eyes operated on about 6 years ago. Both lenses replaced. Surgeries went well but every once in a while it feels like sand in my eyes. Outside that, I had no issues with either surgery.

Glad yours went as "uneventful" as mine and be well on your road to recovery.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence