Thread: Junk Box Holsters

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Junk Box Holsters

Went to the LGS this afternoon. Just killing time. I looked over in the corner and saw the junk holster box and remembered a friend needed one for a couple of guns and ambled over for a look.

Down in the bottom I found what I was looking for, one little tiny holster for a J frame S&W and a big old fashioned pancake holster for a K frame. That is not what the friend has but it is close enough. They will fit a Ruger Security Six and a Charter Arms Undercover good enough.

I take them to the counter where the old man is sitting. He had polio as a kid so he sits most of the time. The young guy in training intercepts me and looks at the old cruddy leather.

They are stained from ink and dirt, the thumb break safeties have been removed with electric hedge clippers and various stitches are gone or about to turn lose. That is why they are in the bottom of the box!

"What'ell you give for them?" this stupid kid asks, like he is in charge of the world.

I was not born yesterday and the old man behind the desk about rolled out of his chair. He knows I am going to insult this show-flake and low ball him into submission.

"I'll give you $5 for both of them." I offer dead pan serious. "That way you don't have to move them from one box to the other for the next ten years."

If the kid had been chewing dip he would have swallowed it. He was actually shocked speechless and took a step back.

He grabbed the holsters and looked them over quickly like they were contaminated with something and stated "But these are leather!"

As serious as a heart attack I replied, "Well you should put some prices on stuff and not tell me to price it. You asked what they were worth and they are worth $5.

Old guy was out of control by now he was laughing so hard, shaking his head and pounding one of his crutches on the floor.

Young kid looks at me then looks at old guy and shakes his head, "You old guys are all the same. You think I should give stuff away!"

Old Guy stops laughing long enough to tell the kid you never let a customer price your stuff. You start that battle with a price tag marked high enough to make some money and go from there.

Young kid finally puts the holsters down and says $25, which was close to what I had anticipated so I offered $20 and took the two holsters home knowing I had provided young kid a life lesson for any trade of any sellable item.

Arriving at the house I got onto the internet and looked up the price on the holsters.

The little simple holster for the J frame sold new back before the century flipped over for $29.95. $10 was a fair price for it stained and beat to he!!.

The K frame holster was another piece of work. It is still in production and I discovered that the thumb snap was not cut off, it never had one. Beat up, covered with fish scale stamping, dyed oxblood but still looking pretty good and all the stitches holding, new price is $170.

My buddy is not getting this K frame holster, he is getting a plain slick black leather copy of it, minus the stampings and fancy work.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Nice find! I enjoyed the story had a good laugh!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Congrats...

I love picking junk boxes at shows....never know....
    One Saturday while back....Went to a show.

Guy had a box full of these he got from the police store room....

I didn't know what they fit so only bought 2 @$5 bucks each
    Kept thinking about it...so went back on Sunday, looking for more......Box was empty!!!
    Guy said...."NO Ship....Went fast..."

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

LOL. I just rummaged around in the junk box at the only pawn shop in town I'll shop at (Their not anything special, but they've been here along long time), They priced their junk. And while I found a couple that I wanted their prices scared me off.

Many people seem to think...
    old
    =antique,
    =high price,
    =make offer,
    =they laugh (good job Kyrat),
    =I walk out the door,
    = till next year.

Will be older then
    =won't need it any more,
    =cause I found a different one,
    =So it goes......LOL
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-25-2017 at 04:24 PM.

My mom taught me that the best way to shock a merchant that did not price their goods was to insult them immediately. No price? Offer them a dollar! When they come back with a price after their initial shock do not meet them half way like the morons on TV, offer them $1.50!

I saw my Mom make a used car dealer cry once. Not only was she low balling his offers she had started a cheering section.

I patched the J frame holster up and it is now functional. Looks like crap but it works.

Did not do anything to the pancake holster, just used it for a pattern to make another holster which is drying from its "wet fit" right now. This cold damp weather is not helping that along. If it were July I would have it on the back porch and it would be done now.

This did motivate me to buy a couple of leather working tools I have needed for years. I ordered them on E-bay this morning.

And I need to go to Jenny Craig and get on their diet plan. None of my holster fit me any more.

Cross draw requires the assistance of a fork lift.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-25-2017 at 05:34 PM.

If I ever go to cross draw I am going to need much longer arms. Can't afford a fork lift.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    My mom taught me that the best way to shock a merchant that did not price their goods was to insult them immediately. No price? Offer them a dollar! When they come back with a price after their initial shock do not meet them half way like the morons on TV, offer them $1.50!

I saw my Mom make a used car dealer cry once. Not only was she low balling his offers she had started a cheering section.

I patched the J frame holster up and it is now functional. Looks like crap but it works.

Did not do anything to the pancake holster, just used it for a pattern to make another holster which is drying from its "wet fit" right now. This cold damp weather is not helping that along. If it were July I would have it on the back porch and it would be done now.

This did motivate me to buy a couple of leather working tools I have needed for years. I ordered them on E-bay this morning.

And I need to go to Jenny Craig and get on their diet plan. None of my holster fit me any more.

Cross draw requires the assistance of a fork lift.
    Well, .......That's due to the sirloins and taters.....

Hey!

That last batch of sirloin and taters was justified. I get one every year on my birthday.