Thread: Never know when Old skills will be needed.

Banned

Red face Never know when Old skills will be needed.

Quite the long night. Thing 3, (my baby girl) calls crying at 01:35. Seems Grandma (overnighting to watch 5 month old Grandson) didn't manage to lock the front door properly and with the windy conditions, Thing 3's two French Bulldogs got out. The security camera's showed that Frenchy & Hambone escaped at 23:30, they had been driving the neighborhood in search to no avail. Could Grandpa drive up and track down the escaped dogs? Ain't much traffic so the trip up to Jacksonville was as fast as possible.

Armed with my reading glasses, two 18 volt Dewalt batteries, and an 18 volt Dewalt flashlight the hunt began. Ya'll got any idea of how much concrete (sidewalks,driveways,streets,alley's) are in Jacksonville! The fugitives had over a three hour head start, (good thing french bulldogs aren't track stars) but I managed to work out thier trail and apprehend them in short order. A quick cell call to Grandma and we loaded the pair of fugitives into the truck and returned them home. I wonder just how many Jacksonville natives thought I was a crazed Old Man crawling around in thier yards at 03:30. Perhaps it was better that I had the cover of nightfall, but I think the flashlight gave away my position. Fortunately, none of the urban residents took exception to my crawling around in the wee hours of the mourning, and all ended well. Guess all those taxpayer dollars, that were spent giving me tracking lessons, didn't end up wasted after all. Thought my days tracking down fugitives had ended, guess you never know when Old Skills will be needed, so perhaps it pays to stay in practice?

My reward for the loss of a nights sleep, was a quick tear filled kiss as my Baby girl cradled the 5K worth of French Bulldogs that she had conceded as lost. I even got a cup of my favorite coffee for the ride home. Priceless (to plagiarize the commercial.)

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    Quite the long night. Thing 3, (my baby girl) calls crying at 01:35. Seems Grandma (overnighting to watch 5 month old Grandson) didn't manage to lock the front door properly and with the windy conditions, Thing 3's two French Bulldogs got out. The security camera's showed that Frenchy & Hambone escaped at 23:30, they had been driving the neighborhood in search to no avail. Could Grandpa drive up and track down the escaped dogs? Ain't much traffic so the trip up to Jacksonville was as fast as possible.

Armed with my reading glasses, two 18 volt Dewalt batteries, and an 18 volt Dewalt flashlight the hunt began. Ya'll got any idea of how much concrete (sidewalks,driveways,streets,alley's) are in Jacksonville! The fugitives had over a three hour head start, (good thing french bulldogs aren't track stars) but I managed to work out thier trail and apprehend them in short order. A quick cell call to Grandma and we loaded the pair of fugitives into the truck and returned them home. I wonder just how many Jacksonville natives thought I was a crazed Old Man crawling around in thier yards at 03:30. Perhaps it was better that I had the cover of nightfall, but I think the flashlight gave away my position. Fortunately, none of the urban residents took exception to my crawling around in the wee hours of the mourning, and all ended well. Guess all those taxpayer dollars, that were spent giving me tracking lessons, didn't end up wasted after all. Thought my days tracking down fugitives had ended, guess you never know when Old Skills will be needed, so perhaps it pays to stay in practice?

My reward for the loss of a nights sleep, was a quick tear filled kiss as my Baby girl cradled the 5K worth of French Bulldogs that she had conceded as lost. I even got a cup of my favorite coffee for the ride home. Priceless (to plagiarize the commercial.)
    HAHHAHAH, what a story, so glad you tracked down the dogs, takes some great skill to track at night in urban areas. I think you needed a bit more than just a kiss, a bottle of good whisky imo..it sounded quiet the task.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Banned

Not really that hard, once I got close the dogs came to me. Their noses are probably better than an Old Mans rusty tracking skills. LOL.

Glad all ended well......losing a dog is like losing a kid.

What kind on tracking skilsl are used in tracking French Bulldogs?

My labs respond to the pick up...drive up or drieby and they come running....problem is they will run to anyone truck.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

You would need to be driving a Low-Rider filled with dog treats to get either Hammy or Frenchy's interest. They are located off University Blvd in downtown Jacksonville, about a mile away from Shooters. So vehicles pass the house every couple of minutes, if you rang the doorbell it might get thier attention.

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    You would need to be driving a Low-Rider filled with dog treats to get either Hammy or Frenchy's interest. They are located off University Blvd in downtown Jacksonville, about a mile away from Shooters. So vehicles pass the house every couple of minutes, if you rang the doorbell it might get thier attention.
    I'm now picturing you doing that. it's a good mental image.

Glad the dogs got home safe. Good for you tracking them down.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Have the horn on your vehicle replaced with a door bell chime.

Drive down the street ringing the doorbell until two yappie lap dogs run to the sound of the doorbell.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Glad you were able to get the pups back home.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!