Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School allowed prep bag

Novice Fisher and Trapper

Thumbs up School allowed prep bag

I was thinking lately and I thought what if a disaster was to happen while I was at school I would be unprepared. So I came up with a small little kit that the school allows. It is good for if there is a natural disaster like a tornado or very strong storm where there are injuries. Or if for some reason you need to evacuate. I also put in some stuff that could help me personally.

The kit includes
    -small first aid kit
    -hand sanitizer
    -mosquito net
    -Bandanda(No gang colors-mine is orange with survival tips on it that I got when I took hunters safety)
    -poncho(I have a 1/2 mile walk from the bus stop and sometimes it rains)
    -paracord bracelets(around 100 feet of cord)
    -compass
    -electrical tape

I hope this will help some of you who are still in school feel a little bit safer. Remember NO GUNS KNIFES OR WEAPONS

Where/how are you carrying this kit?
    I would also add a flashlight, p38 can opener, and a card with important information such as name, address, phone numbers etc... And add a bottle of water.
    Can ferro rods be taken?
    I would probably lose the mosquito net.
    Looks like a good start to me.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Yes I would bring the p38 and the flashlight as well as the bottle of water and the card. Ferro rods are not allowed because of the fire threat, unfortunately a few people ruin it for all.

So, do you have like a little thing in your backpack for this?

well I put it in a little pack that I can take it out of my backpack it is pretty nice.

You forgot a 9mm handgun and also a 12" machete......wait..let me alert the feds...hahahaha...
    Now, back to a more serious note, please check with school authorities first. Who knows, maybe the school might be interested to start their own disaster preparation.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

By the way, how do you make a paracord bracelet that has about 100 feet of paracord? Can someone teach me.. I have a paracord and the most is about 12 feet. I do wear a paracord belt which allows me 100 feet of paracord.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

About what size of pack? I wouldn't mind having something along those lines myself for work.

The pack is probably about 6x6 inches and about 3 inches deep it can easily hold everything in my kit. And I have multiple paracord bracelets

The most likely scenario where you are is either fire or storm related. The worst of these would probably be a tornado strike. Of course, a blizzard occurring while in school might also be considered. Ditch the mosquito net. I'd add a dust mask, perhaps some hotties hand warmers or similar. Certainly a small flashlight like a Mini Mag light. I guess if you are trapped in the cafeteria the P38 might be useful. Otherwise I'm not sure what you'd use it for. Think about what you are preparing for then what would help mitigate those problems. If you have a fire you simply get out of the building and go home. If you have a tornado you might have to deal with getting out of a damaged building and/or treating injuries. If it's a blizzard you want to stay warm until you catch a ride home. Just some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    By the way, how do you make a paracord bracelet that has about 100 feet of paracord? Can someone teach me.. I have a paracord and the most is about 12 feet. I do wear a paracord belt which allows me 100 feet of paracord.
    It says bracelets so I'm guessing he has several of them with less cordage that added together equal 100 feet.

I agree with Rick that the P38 has limited usefulness but it's so small light and cheap that you might as well have one, after all Murphy's law says that if you don't pack it you'll probably end up trapped in a room full of cans wishing you did.

You could pull flint striker off of a lighter it's pretty small so you could put it inside a paracord bracelet and no one would know the difference. Not that you should break the schools regulations or rules but you know I'm just saying. Either that or go find an actual chunk of flint outside somewhere.

I would look at this kit as a get home bag type of deal as in you're just using it to get you from school to you're house, just remember that in a natural disaster the busses might not be able to get you home so that 1/2 mile walk to the bus is going to get a lot longer. Aside from adding a flashlight you might want to get a good whistle and a survival blanket as well as a few maps detailing multiple routes back to your house from school. That way after at tornado perhaps if you have to walk back home and you have to detour for maybe a downed power line you know what your options are the final thing I would suggest is one of the hand crank powered radios so you could check for any major incidents to avoid

I would put some type of food. But you can't get into it between classes when you are starving.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

If the bracelet is seven strand and it was made out of a piece 10 feet long, which is pretty common, then you have 80 feet of cordage at your disposal. 7 strands + sheath = 80 feet. If it's in your survival kit then why not just toss in 10 feet of paracord? You don't have to worry about undoing a bracelet. It's already at your disposal.

I would for sure get dust masks in there. If the building collapses, you will have plaster dust, insulation dust, and possibly chemicals that will become airborne. And then there's the super bugs that could come out of nowhere. And how about a pair of swimming goggles? Same hazards as above could affect eyes. Ear plugs?

WW

Ok I will be sure to add some dusk masks as well as some food and a p38. I might add a pair of goggles and some more paracord. I already know several ways home from the school so the map wont be needed I can cut through trees and fields if I need a way. My house is only 3 miles from the school so I can make it quite easily. I will also add hand warmers and a flashlight. Thank you for the suggestions I will suggest them to some people in my survival group so they can make a kit of their own.

Blog Entries

Cool Another idea...

Every state has an emergency web site with a check list of emergency use items that could be needed. Locate yours, print off several copies and share them with your survival group, parents, and school. When the State recognizes survival gear as something that you should have on hand, it carries more weight....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Ok thanks sarge I will locate it

Again, we are forgetting our basics:
    What would most probably happen. You will have to determine this based on where you are.
    If you are talking about tornado, is the school safe enough? Can you go home? Where can you go? What would you need to prepare?
    If its fire, where can you exit or escape? Go home, unless you are trapped, worst case scenario you get burnt or a fireman will be with you within the hour.
    As I have stated, know your emergencies, and prepare for as what you might face.

I know those are the two I am worried about

So keep the mentioned questions in mind.
    Be careful to identify what you really need. When you know what you need, look at the product reviews and ask around...do a check and balance on the products. Only buy them if you think they are good, worthwhile and when you can afford them. If you can't ..think DIY. Sometimes, DIY stuff are as good as those mass produced.
    Example, a signal mirror can be substituted with a aluminum foil or a stainless bright tin foil.
    Why bring too many bracelets when you can make a para cord belt?
    Or just loop up 100 feet of para cord in a pocket of the bag. As for knifes, sometimes cheap ones do work and are as good as those expensive ones. Or make your own...
    Just do not over stuff your gear...choose and buy wisely...an outdoor store owner would love someone like you to walk in, and he might ask you to buy a whole truck load.