Thread: nice young buck

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default nice young buck

I had to answer the phone yesterday and due to living where I do I can only get reception at one spot, which is by a window.

Looking out the window I see movement down the fence row and realize I am watching a young 4 point buck, about 125-150 pounds, amble down the fence row, turning to check his back trail every few minutes.

We are half way through our regular gun season and bow/crossbow/ML seasons have been on since early Oct.

I was really shocked because the deer was moving at a little after noon. I figured he must have been pushed off his cover.

I was also shocked because it was the first buck I have seen near the house in the 7 years I have lived here. For that reason I did not run into the front yard and shoot him.

We have a sizable heard of does in this area and for two or three years I saw no fawns, meaning there were no bucks in this area to breed them. And due to hunting pressure and the frequency of road kills in my neighborhood the does were starting to thin. When I first moved here it was common to pull into the driveway and find a dozen deer in the back yard. That has not happened in some time.

I ran all this through my brain in a split second, then left the young fellow to go about his duties as the only breeding age male that had passed through my side yard in some time. I hope he catches every doe in the area and we have some replenishment of the heard.

I also hope someone else does not bust him before he accomplishes his mission. He needs to get back into the brush and stay there till dark!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I here ya.....sometimes it is better to just watch them.......Kiha getting that way more my self....
    Besides you don't shoot "your deer"....you go down the road and shoot the neighbors deer.

Didn't go this year.....and the state is down 7500 +/- for the opening week end.....so I guess a few more guys didn't go either.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Somehow it always seems that I have the wrong gun in my hand when the big bucks show up. Perhaps this is an age (tiny bladder, enlarged prostrate) thing? But I haven't really encountered many 200+ white tails in Northeast Florida's scrub brush. Back in the cornfield county days, some folks would say that it wasn't right to shoot 195 pound spotted deer. About the most deer congested place I've been lately is Fort Stewart, but it still pales in comparison to the Route 63/53 junction in years long past.

Yeah...usta-could stories are a part of the season....and the fun part.

Missing my hunting partners of old that have passed , quit or moved.
    They were part of the culture.

I understand Arby's have venison sandwiches'.......LOL

Hey you could live in the Keys. The deer down there are about 3 feet tall full grown.

Hors d'oeuvre?....
    They don't get that big because 'cause gator got'em?

Those little swamp deer are about right to fit in a crock pot! They had those little ones at Ft. Benning. GA when I was stationed there.

We have some good sized deer around here but not like west KY or some up in the midwest. A big one around here will go 200 pounds.

Any bigger than that and we would have to close the highways to use by small cars! I think they already have a law about hitting them with subcaliber vehicles.

There is even a clause on my insurance that states they need a picture of the deer beside the vehicle to pay a claim.

When the rut started this year we had a deer splattered on the interstate every 1/2 mile for 25 miles between my house and town. One spot someone had hit a doe and the buck that was chasing her. It was a mess!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-24-2016 at 01:59 AM.

Banned

Thanks hunter63, think I'll take a few minutes and give some of the other Old Timers a jingle on the phone. Course that means I'll probably get a few phone call's on Mother's Day. LOL. It will be nice to palaver with some of the other Old Turkeys. Hope everyone has a good day.

One of thing to be thankful for.....all those people that have impacted your life to today.....
    Pop a Brewski and start in with the "Hey do you remember...?"

That all part of ant deer season......and some of the best stories are not the ones that ended up with a dead deer.....LOL

Thank you! Well, actually, I'm not all that young.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    One of thing to be thankful for.....all those people that have impacted your life to today.....

That all part of ant deer season......and some of the best stories are not the ones that ended up with a dead deer.....LOL
    Some of my most memorable hunts were the times I took new hunters out and guided them to their first kill and never fired a shot myself. I remember most of those hunts and stalks better than I remember most of my own meat hunting kills.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

With the exception of a many a youngster's first big game harvest, most of the memorable hunts have ended up being served with track soup. But you have hit on the best part of camp hunter63, the camaraderie. It was both a blessing and a curse to contact some of the Old Boy's in the most nostalgic of past hunts. Contacted (Lawn Sprinkler) Chuck to once again relive-retell tales of Maine Moose Hunting. (That's one Illinois farm-boy struggling to find his in Kentucky.) Won't bore Y'all with the specifics of the hunts unless asked. But both the successful and unsuccessful hunts are high on the list of memorable. I even find myself being on the memorable side of being the quarry instead of the hunter, but unfortunately those that came upon me at the conclusion of such excursions are waiting on the other side to reminiscence. Even SHE who must be OBEYED reminisced on puddle-duck hunting during the sparking times.

Got to admit that your timing was spot on hunter63, you inspired my most memorable of X-mas list requests during the Thanksgiving Rendezvous. Many years ago my Parents requested that I take all the ancient Super 8's and have them recorded on DVD's, this year I requested that the kinfolk take all the ancient Beta & VHS Tapes and have them recorded on DVD's. From a simple thread on an internet forum, you have reminded me of what is/was the most Thankful moments in a lifetime. Thank You hunter63. (guess I'm getting to sappy, I'll blame aged Bourbon and advanced years.)

But the Thanksgiving Breakfast Casserole with a bit of spicy venison added, and a dram of Bailey's in the fresh ground by the hands of the Grandchildren 8 O'clock coffee, somehow made this thread a bit more meaningful/thought provoking than perhaps it should have been. Or perhaps it just shined the light on what I should have been truly Thankful about.

So Thank You kyratshooter, for starting this thread. And Thank You hunter63 for triggering the reminiscences. To all the other members taking the time to read thread, pardon an Old Man's indulgence.
    Last edited by M118LR; 11-25-2016 at 07:34 PM.

I've always wondered about the drive to take the biggest largest most perfect buck in a group. Seems to me you'd want to leave the 8-pointers for another year...
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Well, little guys need to grow....8 pointer is going in the freezer and on the wall............

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Yep 8 pointers have 3-5 years on them and if they have been doing their job there will be a mess of spikes and 4 pointers following them around. Unless you can contain your heard to your own land they will roam across the fence line and some less particular person will put them on their wall.

Here in KY we have a restriction that allows only one buck per year. Unlimited deer can be harvested on your tag but only one antlered deer. That is an attempt to promote letting the small ones live to breed while taking the older trophy sized ones out of the heard.

If you want a meat deer there are more does roaming around than we know how to hit with all the trucks on the interstate!

Haven't seen too many big buck lately....had a nice 6 or 8 point running round in the river bottom......earlier this fall....
    Talked to the neighbor who is hunting my property...he hasn't seen it or heard of anyone that has killed it, yet, this year.

Last buck I killed was in Louisiana.....but did put a few does in the freezer.
    I don't post those....it's like going to the store.

Around here you get 2 buck tags automatically with your hunting license. Must have at least 4" spikes.
    Doe tags are by lottery but you only get to pick one zone when you enter (the state is divided into something like 15 zones.) Sometimes you might score additional doe tags in a zone that hasn't distributed all theirs. Not likely though.

Dumb thing is, all the eastern zones, where all the problem deer are, are so population dense, you can't legally locate a tree stand that isn't within 150' of a road or 500' from an occupied building. You can drive through some of those neighborhoods early in the morning and see the deer, 6 or more at a time, eating people's shrubbery or bedded down in their yard plantings. Kind of funny actually. Serves em right.
    Last edited by LowKey; 11-26-2016 at 07:20 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

When I was in TN they had "Urban Hunting Zones" where the distance rules were suspended.

It was archery only and any sex permitted.

People were setting up blinds on their back decks and in their yards.

Where I am now is a heavy residential but still rural area. Open farm country with a lane of houses every mile or so. That means there is a field of 500 acres across the road and behind me broken meadows bordered by scrubby fence rows and one 1/2 acre cluster of brush with a good pond on its edge 100 yards behind the house. The deer bed down in the scrub by the water and move to the big field each night, back in the morning, and they walk within 50 yards of the house when they do.

I often sit on the back porch and count 10-12 does strung out along the fence row. For the past two years there have been no fawns but I expect this year will be different with that big healthy 4 point at work. I would love to see every one of those does with twins come spring. It is a good sign that I have not seen him before now. He is staying well hidden, not moving until dark unless pushed off his bed, and avoiding being spotted by anyone.