Thread: Look, if a child can do it...then...

Default Look, if a child can do it...then...

The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Pretty nifty.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I give up , what attracted the fish to the hole ??

Looks like at high tide the fish swam in to take advantage of the shade cover the girl put over the hole. At low tide they were trapped.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I'm surely not the first to think of or do this, and it probably even has a name that I don't know about, but watching something like the show Alone and thinking about catching a reserve of fish and trying to preserve them by smoking or keeping in cold water put me into inventive-mode. I figure that it's just another cool idea though which in reality may be hard to execute with the low energy levels that a person may end up operating with in minimalist survival challenges. But I want to express my train of thought and see what anyone who's wiser and more experienced has for educational feedback.

Find the right spot by a river which isn't in complete sun all day (?), doesn't look completely barren per the bottom, and doesn't have too much turbulence per the river's flow (or in similar fashion with a lake). Dig out kind of a little pond, maybe 10 ft x 10 ft, several feet from the bank, and reshape it all accordingly. I'm guessing you want some depth too for more chance of a variety of fish if not knowing what's around and to get a temperature reservoir effect, a couple feet may do (?). Then dig out to connect it to the river, gently so a rush of water doesn't mess things up. Make two connections, at angles which allow a gentle flow into and through your pond, but a very gentle flow - assuming it's a place and time where you're counting on cold water, to use it's preservative effects if that so happens, and also get fish who tend to want flow versus stillness, but still get fish who like stillness (?). Make the trap structure thingamajigs out of whatever material is appropriate within each connection, and even have 2 of them in each, one after the other. Might get fish who come in through the inlet, and fish who come in through the outlet. Cut a few small bundles of live tree limbs, lash a stone to each one, and get them to the bottom on the outside of the two connections. Take larger foliage-rich branches and get them to rest right on the surface at the outsides of the 2 connections also (at the river side of the connections, versus the little pond.) Create some shade, but allow a dappling of light through also. Then create some sparse structures within the pond - the little bundles of limbs with stones lashed onto them, maybe some almost-partitions with stones and sticks, etc. Then the larger branches covering the whole thing, create shade but allow a dappling of light.

So now maybe you get a constant supply of at least a few fish. And the way they are preserved is that they remain alive, or the cold water can be used to preserve for a time if that's how things work out. Everything may attract little bugs for the fish to feed on, etc, and/or the thing that you spend some time doing is collecting little grubs and worms and bugs which you might not be able to live on yourself but throw them into the pond. And anytime you eat a fish you put leftovers in the pond to feed the others.

I figure that'd create another issue...some predator wanting to visit your little pond for easy pickings. So now I'd have to build various whatchamacallits around the area to poke their feet or face or body or whatever to deter them, etc.

- William Arthur Ward

I'm thinking that the location and conditions are the secret here..... and method most likely passed on by many ancestors.
    Would be hard to duplicate.

Transition from sun to shade is a good "fishing spot" ...but think portable traps,bank lines,.... may be a better idea.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

...but think portable traps,bank lines,.... may be a better idea
    From watching these t.v. shows at least, concerning minimalist, long term, and solitary situations, I just more and more get the impression that I'd like to really increase my chances for my effort...to always have something to eat, to have some in store in some sense, etc.

I even had a wacked out idea that if I ran across a mother boar and the babies were old enough to wean, I'd take her out and try to keep the babies around for not wanting to leave the mama carcass while butchering it and be soothing to them somehow, see if I couldn't make them like me cause I'd feed them, maybe kind of tame them to some extent, then eventually corral them physically and feed/raise them like farm animals. Don't know if that'd work though.

- William Arthur Ward