Thread: Top eject scope mount for lever rifle

Default Top eject scope mount for lever rifle

This might get that old rifle to work for my old eyes: http://www.mod94scoperail.com/
    What do you think?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That thing is sure butt ugly! Looks like something you would put on a HiPoint!

I just drilled and tapped a rear sight dovetail sight blank and drifted it into mine, then screwed a weaver sight mount block down tight and stuck a aim point on it.

Decided I did not like it after a couple of years and went back to a ghost ring sight. I think my cataract surgery encouraged that. I could see again.

If I need optics I have other rifles with them.

The 94 Winchester is just too handy and well balanced to mess up the system. Something seemed perverted about a '94 Winchester with an aim point on it.

If it was a Marlin that would be different, they have no soul so you can't mess them up.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-22-2017 at 04:31 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Butt ugly was my first impression.

I wouldn't do it either....same reasons.....
    There used to be a side mount....that I thought sucked as well.

Even back in the olden days....when you only had a '94 deer rifle....if you wanted a scope...you saved up, and bought a bolt gun with a scope.
    Then carried the '94 for woods walking....the scoped bolt gun for watching.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I liked the fact that I wouldn't need to drill and tap the receiver like I would for a side mount or peep sights. If I don't like it, it's no big deal to change it back.

Unless I see something better that works, I'm going to get it. Will I love it? Probably not but, at least I can use it.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    That thing is sure butt ugly! Looks like something you would put on a HiPoint!

I just drilled and tapped a rear sight dovetail sight blank and drifted it into mine, then screwed a weaver sight mount block down tight and stuck a aim point on it.

Decided I did not like it after a couple of years and went back to a ghost ring sight. I think my cataract surgery encouraged that. I could see again.

If I need optics I have other rifles with them.

The 94 Winchester is just too handy and well balanced to mess up the system. Something seemed perverted about a '94 Winchester with an aim point on it.

If it was a Marlin that would be different, they have no soul so you can't mess them up.
    I prefer my Marlin 336 over my '94s. Or I should say my '94. I just sold one of my two '94s to my brother Sean.

The Marlin just feels handier to me. No difference at the range. Its just an in hand feeling and the way it shoulders.

Then it is not in need of special optic mounts.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I liked the fact that I wouldn't need to drill and tap the receiver like I would for a side mount or peep sights. If I don't like it, it's no big deal to change it back.

You do not have to drill and tap anything for the 94 side mount or a peep sight.

The weaver side mount uses existing holes and so does the Weaver D5 peep sight.

The side mount scope really messes up the handling of the rifle. Makes it impossible to carry comfortably in one hand as you walk.

I had the same problem with the Enfield after I scoped them. They are just unhandy to carry when scoped normally. Lots of rifles are.

The scope sits right at the balance point of the rifle and interferes with proper carry.

I think that may be the reason Cooper leaned toward the long eye relief scope on the scout rifle. Getting the scope out of the way makes the gun easier to carry. That is especially important when the rifle becomes an extension of your body and goes everywhere you go.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-23-2017 at 02:05 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

This is an early post 64 top eject. Are you talking about the Williams peep sight or the Lyman tang peep sight? I have a ghost ring peep sight on a 45/70 but, I can only find that for the xs 94. Do you think that would work on mine?