Thread: Risk, part 2

Default Risk, part 2

This should be titled crisis management but to tie it together with part 1, I've kept it the same.
    Let's say you've found yourself in an undesirable situation. What's your go to plan. How did you handle the crisis? After the event did you reflect on other ways you could've handled it for a better outcome? Did you involve a team approach to the problem?

I've rarely had the luxury of a team. When herding cats, I usually let them do what they want until they start doing something that's going to end badly - then I yell and people stop what they're doing.

I've had CPR/First Aid training every year for the last 20 or so years before retirement. I tend to use that general procedure. I assess the situation, take care of any immediately dangerous situation, and then I start cleaning up. And, yes, I usually rehash the situation afterwards to think through alternatives.

And I always do the right thing - that's why I never break my foot (yes, sarcasm).
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Rebel you seem to feel that there is a uniform generic "crisis" which is the same for everyone so a plan can be hatched that will deal with it in advance and everyone can come to a consensus of proper action and that action will work in each case.

What is a crisis for you I might just consider a lack of proper planning on your part and not an emergency on my part.

If I see that you are surrounded by a half dozen thugs and I know that you saw fit to equip yourself with a two shot derringer I might just call 911 then sit back and watch the situation unfold, not wanting to confront the paperwork that would be involved and not considering it a crisis for me to deal with.

However, if I am going out for icecream and discover that the car battery is dead, that is a CRISIS !
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-21-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Lol. Don't attack me just yet. I'll get to it.

Just goona wait to see where this is going......LOL

Almost sounds like the old....

Lost your job?...wife left?... dog died?....Zombies at the door?.........Is that what's bugging you Bunky?.......

WELL NOW, for the low, low, price of $19.95 SH you to can get a copy of my book......."Crisis Solved..... in 5 easy steps"
    Just call 555-289-5555...opreators are waiting.....
    AND if you order now....You can get a second offer for just shipping and handling.
    Operators are waiting...."
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

T.D.C. Time, distance, cover. LEO ops. Don't run into a bad situation. Create time. Slow down and access. Distance, create distance. That also helps with time. Cover, find it. Use it. Call for back up.
    When I was doing low levels we'd get our time on target. It's a small window. You don't want to miss it because of arty. On topo charts we'd plot ingress and egress routes. Intel would give threats. Plot those. Plot time points based on speed and distance. This helps to make your window. If you get to the check point too early or late then you make corrections. Speed up or slow down. When you're in the dirt moving 6-8 miles a minute going around hills and using valleys for terrain masking there isn't much time for problems. You would get 1-2 seconds for CFIT. Controlled flight into terrain. To counter this you brief and plan for a climb to cope. You create time and distance. If your not alone and have a crew that's great. Now you have a group effort. One focuses on flying and the other can work the problem. Sometimes you have to bring in more support to problem solve.
    How does this play into survival? Planning. Knowledge, equipment, contingency plan. Where and how can you get help. Time. Create time. Slow down. Prioritize. Distance. Do you need to create distance for timing? You wouldn't want to leave your cover and shorten the distance to converse with someone who is obviously not behaving friendly. Group problem solving. Yea, it works. Get others involved.

Sorry, no book. Just passing along some knowledge that was written in blood. Live and learn.

Let's look at something relative. Let's say you're hiking and a thunder boomer is getting closer. You would estimate how much time is available before it gets to your position. How much distance do you have to cover to find cover. Same for tornadoes and hurricanes.

Do you know where there is cover/shelter?....How far?
    If there is thunder....5 second per mile for the storm.

In Colorado, I'd hike through it. In Alabama, I'd look for an escape corridor and book it.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

All the good spots have too many people trying to get a view.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    just goona wait to see where this is going......lol

almost sounds like the old....

Lost your job?...wife left?... Dog died?....zombies at the door?.........is that what's bugging you bunky?.......

Well now, for the low, low, price of $19.95 sh you to can get a copy of my book......."crisis solved..... In 5 easy steps"
    just call 555-289-5555...opreators are waiting.....
    And if you order now....you can get a second offer for just shipping and handling.
    Operators are waiting...."
    but wait!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    This should be titled crisis management but to tie it together with part 1, I've kept it the same.
    Let's say you've found yourself in an undesirable situation. What's your go to plan. How did you handle the crisis? After the event did you reflect on other ways you could've handled it for a better outcome? Did you involve a team approach to the problem?
    Stay calm...........then think!
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

Here in Mina-wis-chign..... The word is Uff da.......

When in anger...
    And in doubt....

Run in circles...
    Scream and shout...

Uff Da