Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Ultracation with neighbor

Tool & Die Maker

Default Hunting Ultracation with neighbor

Another wild hog hunting adventure. This morning myself a 2 buddies are setting up a tree stand in a new location within my leased property. We had just entered the jungle when I could hear someone from the highway saying something to us. I ventured back out to the highway to find a man in a pickup truck swearing and threatening me. He told me I was on private property
    and was trespassing. I tried to explain I had a hunting lease on the property. He said I did not have a lease and if I continued to disagree with him he was going to kick my ***. I told him to just call the Sherriff. He continued to threaten me so one of my buddies called the Sherriff. Finally the encounter heated up and the neighbor exited his truck and approached me with his fist clutched and drawn back. I was reaching for my conceal carry weapon and remembered my conceal carry class. I held up my hands and said, "look, I don't want any trouble" then went for my gun. The assailant finally stopped his advance. The gun never came out. After a few more threats and more swearing he goes home a hundred or so yards down the road.

A Sherriff deputy shows up and we began discussing the encounter. Next we hear 4 shots fired from the assailants home. The Sherriff deputy takes off running at full sprint towards the assailants home. I yelled at the officer, "better call for backup". Seconds later police cars are coming from both directions. 4 more shots are fired. The recently arrived officers are pulling
    AR-15's from the trunk of their cars and running toward the assailant home.

Finally, one by one the officers leave and the last one approached myself and my 2 buddies. The officer sayed, "as far as I'm concerned, you fellas are okay hunting here". It told the officer we are not hunting where we are not welcome. I told the officer I was conceal carrying and was ready draw my gun when the assailant finally stopped the assault. All the office said was,
    "the assailant is lucky not to be shot". The officer never asked for my name or anything, he just left. Never hear what happened to the assailant.

So how has your day been so far. Jim
    Last edited by jim Glass; 08-17-2017 at 04:41 AM.

That's kinda exciting.....had a few of those over the years.......Never fun.
    This is one reason I ask and get permission in writing '''every year"....and not assume.

Don't have any leases.....and have had problems with people that didn't own the land.

Even had the Game Warden....face down some property developers sales people.... that decided that they owned the flowage.......
    Guess they didn't like us shooting ducks while they were trying to sell the river bank...(500ft public easement and permission for the development owner)

You are correct...Sound like y'all handled it well.......Calling the Sheriff was the right thing to do....

Ever get any information of what the shooting was all about ?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The shooting was the redneck trying to make his point, stopping just short of aggravated assault. He just had not counted on a deputy being present when he fired his warning shots.

Welcome to sunny Florida!

Why do you think they film so many episodes of COPS down there? You can not go for a night without filling a full episode.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The shooting was the redneck trying to make his point, stopping just short of aggravated assault. He just had not counted on a deputy being present when he fired his warning shots.
    Welcome to sunny Florida!
    Exactly!!! The redneck was lucky I kept my cool. Probably waited to long to pull the gun out though but at least he had nothing to say about me to the officer.

I'm quite certain the redneck was on some kind of drugs. He was to far gone to be on alcohol. This was all at 9:30 AM..

After lunch a local bank got robbed.

See, right there you have 15 minutes of programming just with your hog hunting and the bank robbery!

Just add one 5 minute high speed chase of tattooed skinny guys with no shirts and episode 7,461 is in the can.

I noticed that?......
    Why do all the bad guys on COPS not wear shirts?

Show off their physique. After all, they are on TV.

I liked the one of the guy that was wearing the fancy shoes that flash every time you take a step. Had a real hard problem trying to outrun the cops. They were with him at every turn. Go figure.

Tool & Die Maker

Do I have any protection with "hunter harassment" laws??

That would have to be a Florida lawyer question.......?

Sadly, with property leases and easements you tend to inherit any existing land disputes with them, well founded or otherwise.

Hunter; some of them do. I saw a few work shirts from a company I used to work for feature in a few episodes.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

We had on case in Milwaukee here a while back......shop lifter with pants down on his butt..took off running.
    Security ran him down, pulled his pants down and sat on him till LEO's showed up.

That would have made "stupid animal tricks"....on you tube for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    That would have to be a Florida lawyer question.......?
    Do Florida lawyers wear shirts or just the ties?

Check this out.....
    http://goodhunt.blogs.theledger.com/...rassment-laws/

This subject of hunter-harassment was actually cover in our Hunter Safety Class....

Tool & Die Maker

For me to threaten another redneck attack with a hunter harassment suit may ward off future ultracations without the need to call the police.

Thinking back I'm wondering if the redneck was more concerned with us hunting on his personal honey hole. I told him I had a lease and him thinking he didn't have a lease. I did find a tree stand already on the property
    that I planed on using. I'm considering hunting the property in spite of todays ultracation. I'm not the type to run off with my tail between my legs.

If he gives you bad just put 911 on your speed dial.....or contact the warden.

In the past ....Had a warden call a guy to tell him he had to come out to cut the chain off his gate across an easement road to a property I was hunting......

Warden aren't against you as a sportsman...just violators.

Tool & Die Maker

A little follow up on this story. Another guy at the RV resort told me about a conceal carry class held at a local gun shop so I decided to attend even though I already hold a Florida conceal carry permit. Always good to have a refresher course. I told the instructor about my ultracation with the neighbor and he said
    me shooting him was not justified because the neighbor did not have a weapon and I had the option of running away. I was with 2 other men so it would have been a 3:1 struggle, but what if I had been alone?

I also contacted my Illinois conceal carry instructor, a police officer, and he also said a shooting was not justified but the use of mace, pepper stray or wand would have been justified. I have pepper stray but don't always carry it.

I have read the Florida "stand your ground" law several times but it is not perfectly clear to me what it is.

One conclusion I have come to is, if you conceal carry, you better carry the liability insurance. Jim
    Last edited by jim Glass; 03-12-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Yes. Insurance. There are 2 orgs that will cover exactly what you want. And, from how I understand it from a recent FL gun law seminar, you were not justified in drawing. You acted exactly how you should have. But I can understand you getting real antsy about a strung out nut cussing and threatening.

Always good advice....
    Remember, 99% of all those that talk about 'CCW ballistic, and argue 9mm vs 45....have never shot anyone nor will they.

Man...I was very confused. I thought this was about ultra something-or-other. And I couldn't figure out what cation was that it was ultra. Thought it was some fantastic vacation experience, so reading op just messed my mind up.

Ok, so altercation then.

he said me shooting him was not justified
    I can understand you getting real antsy about a strung out nut cussing and threatening
    I feel that folks should be able to carry arms. But I also feel that with firearms comes responsibility and discipline. Though a person might not be familiar with the ways, there are plenty of ways to safely disable a person without using a firearm. I was kinda wondering about your quickness to go right to thinking of your firearm. Don't be mad at me Jim, I'm not just trying to make a mean critical statement...but don't be so quick to just think of your gun anytime somebody is yelling and acting a fool. With some people, legally having a firearm seems to make them feel too powerful and justified and that gun becomes their go-to response instead of being able to deal with things in other ways. Don't be that guy.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 03-12-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Show off their physique. After all, they are on TV.

I liked the one of the guy that was wearing the fancy shoes that flash every time you take a step. Had a real hard problem trying to outrun the cops. They were with him at every turn. Go figure.
    My favorites are when the perps with saggy pants start running and then within a half a block their pants fall down around their ankles and they fall flat on their faces. I LMAO every time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel