Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yippee Skippee

Then I think about the frontiersmen and their single shot accomplishments. That brings up a question. How is it that one guy could hold off a bunch of injuns with a muzzle loader? I don't see it.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Then I think about the frontiersmen and their single shot accomplishments. That brings up a question. How is it that one guy could hold off a bunch of injuns with a muzzle loader? I don't see it.
    They didn't. One guy against a bunch was a dead man.

They developed tactics for defense with the ML just like we have done with bolt action rifles(a lost art), then the pump and semi autos of today.

Their tactics involved forting up for defense in groups. They used fire discipline to insure that never more than half the weapons were discharged at any time and they used a non-shooting reloader to keep weapons ready for the shooters. The trick of drawing the fire os an entire group and then charging the empty guns was useless against experienced defenders.

There were some men in the old days that were quicker on the reload than others. There were some that could reload on the run. Simon Kenton and Lewis Witzel were masters at that art ad I am sure others were also.

Folks dismissed the use of the patch around the ball when pressed for speed. They also did away with use of the powder measure and poured a charge into their hand, then dumped it down the barrel. They could get three or four shots a minute instead of the normal one shot per minute.

There was a fort near Nashville,TN called Buchanan Station where 12 men and women and a couple of pre-teen kids held off over 400 Indian warriors for several days, finally killing their leader and dispersing the followers. It turned out too costly to go up against even this small group. One of the defenders was 12 and his 10 year old little sister was loading for him.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-17-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Dang, you have good history stories. I enjoyed reading that.

The thing is he's lived most of them. He was 14 in the fort story.

I was thinking about those "lifetime warranties ". It's not so appealing anymore.

Do you really want a gun with the best warranty in the business, or a gun that needs no warranty?

Right now I believe that HiPoint actually has the best warranty out there, and they have their own zip code to handle the volume of returns.

I am also at the point in life where a "lifetime warranty" might run its course before daylight tomorrow!

Dang, you have good history stories. I enjoyed reading that.
    At least he doesn't start the story with..."There we was....they was coming from the left.....They was coming from the right......"

Then you say...."What happened to you?"

"I got killed of course"....

The "Mountain Men"

Bill Tyler: Say, uh, Henry... ain't no need for you to fight your way into that village. We could join up after...
    Henry Frapp: [Interrupting] I ever tell you about the time the 'Rapahos chased me up a canyon over in the Big Lost?
    Bill Tyler: No, but I reckon you're gonna tell me.
    Henry Frapp: Well, it was over on the Horse Prairie. This band of 'Rapahos had been chasing me three days. So I seen this canyon. I figured I'd whip in there, and then I'll slip out. Trouble was that there was a way in but there wasn't no way out at all. Nothin' but cliffs half a mile high all the way around. A whole damn tribe of Blackfoot down there... just madder than turpentined wildcats. So I holed up behind some rocks' but that didn't do no good... because they just kept on a-comin', entire Sioux nation. Me outta powder, outta lead. Goddamn, I was one scared n... r!
    Bill Tyler: I thought you said they was 'Rapaho.
    Henry Frapp: No, goddamnit! They was Pawnee!
    Bill Tyler: Well, what happened to you?
    Henry Frapp: Well, I got killed, of course!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081187/quotes
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

It was a bit different for the "mountain men", though they had their troubles.

Out of every five newbies that went out only four lasted out the first year.

Out of every five that lasted the first year only one went back for a second year.

For the settlers east of the Mississippi, well they were already at the house and the problems just came to where they were.

Out of the 250 men that signed the Cumberland Compact in 1779 (laws for the new middle TN country) within one year 50% were dead.

And they maintained a 50% death rate from 1779-1793, and the population still grew every year. Even with half of them being killed by Indians every year people still kept moving into the area. It was the same for Kentucky.

All those peasants and craftsmen coming over from Europe were starved for land ownership and the claim to a say in government it gave.

And one little thing to get back on track; in the 1790 census, the first taken in our history, they counted the firearms in the hands of the people. Out on the frontier there were generally 2 guns available for every man woman or child.

No single state meets that standard today. Well Kentucky might, if everyone here 'fessed up!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-18-2017 at 02:07 AM.

Funny. I was thinking about the probability of inflated body count in those stories. Lol, who would go verify.

Today's the day according to ups tracker. Woooooohoooooo!
    Personally I wouldn't be getting this but my buddy wanted a bp pistol for our next competition. I've know him for 33 years. Met him in the marines. We always ended up in the same unit but, their were only three units at the time. He doesn't know it but he's getting one today too. These competitions are serious business. We bet a whole dollar. His health has been causing some problems. Just enjoying what we're able while we can.

Really? So it'd be ok to buy a muzzle loader and change the barrel to a center fire?
    As long as you comply with the NFA and any laws your state has and aren't a prohibited person, absolutely. It would merely be personally manufacturing a firearm.

Maybe put a pistol barrel on a rifle stock?
    Only if you can do a Form 1, as you would be creating a Title II NFA item.

Feel free to correct me if I'm missing anything here.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Funny. I was thinking about the probability of inflated body count in those stories. Lol, who would go verify.
    Most of the stories are verified, often from both sides of the conflict. That is why they call it history as separated from the myth which is undocumented.

One of the things that happened was that after the 1797 Treaty the Cherokee settled down and became "civilized" and many of them wrote of their own experiences during the settlement wars. So the Southern history is pretty much researched and documented.

It was not unusual for hundreds of Indians to gather for raids into the settlements. They were often supported, supplied and trained by British agents who worked much like our modern Special Forces. The Kentucky settlements were once attacked by Shawnee that were equipped with artillery and supported by British Rangers!

They could gather large numbers of fighters because the goal was not killing settlers, but taking hostages they could sell for ransom and looting the property of the settlers, mostly cattle and horses. It was a business thing.

In Texas the Comanche organized a raid that totaled to more then 2,000 warriors who raided all the way from the Staked plains to Galveston, where they sacked the town.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-18-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post

Only if you can do a Form 1, as you would be creating a Title II NFA item.

Feel free to correct me if I'm missing anything here.
    If you are working with a muzzle loading firearm you can shoulder stock a pistol or cut a rifle or shotgun down to any dimension that suits you.

You can even convert a ML gun to cartridge firing if desired. At that point it must be treated as a "modern" firearm and follow the rest of the prohibitions.

Is it here yet?

Noooo.
    It's been out for delivery since 0735.

I'm reading a Stephene Ambrose book 'undaunted courage' about Lewis and Clarke.

It's here! Later...

I'm reading a Stephene Ambrose book 'undaunted courage' about Lewis and Clarke.
    That is an excellent work. I read it way back when it came out.

Lots for a woodsman to learn from that work if you read between the lines and pay attention to the little side comments from the Journals.

Clark was the younger brother of George Rogers Clark, nephew of Robert Rogers (Rogers Rangers), officer during the Ohio Indian Wars.

Lewis was the personal secretary of Thomas Jefferson as President. Can you imagine the present chief of staff to POTUS heading to the uncharted wilderness on a reconnaissance in force mission?

Both leaders were from the southern aristocracy but had the training to survive in the wilderness.

Enjoy the read, I will not tell you how it ends.

I bet you are throwing cardboard and Styrofoam bits all over the place!

Lol. What a cannon! I'll need to rent a Pygmy to hold it.

I better go hold it some more.