Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striker fired 1911???

Default Striker fired 1911???

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/...er-fired-1911/

I honestly don't know what to say. Where do you start? I guess we can start by NOT calling it a 1911. It's not right. If it were closer to April 1st I could laugh, but...ugh. The only things that even resembles a 1911 is the grip angle and...well that's it.

A person in the comment section got it right imo, its a Glock and Hi-point love child.

Do we need this? Is this an answer to a question nobody's asking?
    Last edited by alaskabushman; 01-09-2017 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelig errorrrs
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

When I carry my .45 its hammer digs into me in the truck. Not, bad. But, what advantage does a single action gum with a hammer have over a striker fired weapon.

Most striker fired weapons don't offer a Dbl action and then single action follow up. But neither do 1911's.

The 1911 is basically a cowboy gun. A semi-auto single action gun. 106 years old.

For some reason every time I click on a link....comes up, but when I try to read it or move down the page....I get a "Recover webpage"

So I'll take your word for it.....

The last .45 that showed up was a $149 buck Hipoint.....so I'm good.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    When I carry my .45 its hammer digs into me in the truck. Not, bad. But, what advantage does a single action gum with a hammer have over a striker fired weapon.

Most striker fired weapons don't offer a Dbl action and then single action follow up. But neither do 1911's.

The 1911 is basically a cowboy gun. A semi-auto single action gun. 106 years old.
    I actually don't have anything against striker guns, in fact I carry one for my CCW. There is a place for them just like more traditional designs. The sheer numbers of different 1911 models on the market today shows that, while an old design, its far from outdated. My beef wasn't the fact that a new striker gun is on the market (even if it is a $1200 one) but the fact they are trying to play off the 1911's popularity and legacy. This is not a 1911, not matter how you stretch it. it may be a good gun, but its not something John Browning designed.

Me-"Exactly."

so after reading the actual press release, the Hudson company does not say it IS a 1911 (its not) but that its INSPIRED by the 1911. Heck, most semi autos today are somehow inspired by the 1911. My feathers were not as ruffled after reading the press release and seeing the promo video (which is actually kinda cool).

I think the deep recoil spring housing makes the whole thing look funny. Drop the exaggerated beavertail if there is not going to be a grip safety. Apparently a modular style manual safety can be added, but with a trigger safety I'm not sure its needed.

I don't think we needed a "high end striker pistol" category, but it looks like we're getting one.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ails-released/

Me-"Exactly."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have been shooting a Taurus 24/7 OSS .45acp for about five years. It was designed for one of the "bait and switch" joint forces trials where they hold a trial knowing they are not going to change service pistols. The services would eliminate pistols all together if they could.

Any problem you can ever imagine the 1911 having or that has ever been pointed out on the 1911 was cured in the development of this pistol.

It is single action/double action selective, meaning you can drop the hammer for a double action shot, or flip the safety up for a cocked and locked carry.

Fully ambidextrous.

No hammer to dig in.

It also holds 12 rounds. 12+1 really, so it has almost as much firepower as a Browning Hipower.

It is scary accurate and I have had ZERO malfunctions in 5 years and many hundred rounds shooting. Not even with my raggedy old reloads.

I started shooting 1911 pistols in the late sixties, carried one in the Army, and made a lot of money customizing them over the years. I still own several of the old models, but this OSS 45 has spoiled me rotten.

Striker fired 45 autos with names that do not start with HiPoint can be good things.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-10-2017 at 01:30 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Probably the only way I'll get a striker fired .45 ACP is if HK releases a VP45. I only have one .45 ACP left (an HK USC carbine) and I really am trying to get out of the caliber due to the cost of factory ammo.

Well said on the bait-and-switch. Every few years the Army claims they're going to adopt a new sidearm and the gun press loses their minds. Then halfway through the trials they cancel them and everyone is left holdin' their Johnsons. I expect most of the companies realize they're just kicking the tires and use the "trials" as an excuse to release something they were gonna release anyways.

Fortunately I have never had the cost of factory ammo enter as a factor in my gun choices. Not since 1960-something when I bought my first reloading rig.

From what I understand it can be rough if feeding anything but a 9mm these days.

And we have all seen the supply of everything in every caliber dry completely up over the past 8 years.

Fortunately one can set up for reloading .45acp (press,dies, powder, primers & bullet mold) for the cost of 3 boxes of premium ammo.

Shoot. I can have 1000 rounds delivered to my doorstep in 3 days in 45 or 556. My buddy spends more on golf than I do on shooting.

I guess if you go crazy and blow a bunch of money downrange it would hurt bad but... feel good. lol

I think my .45 cast bullet reloads are running about $0.05 each at the present time.

Less pain than shooting .22LR.

Then there is the knowledge that you are sending 230 grains of lead down range at nearly 900 fps, and your practice loads will do for any job a pistol is called to do...

Priceless!

I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I stand corrected.
    But not everyone casts their own to keep the cost that low!

Even the 5.56 in reloaded form comes close to being beaten in price by the surplus. I can reload them in FMJ for around $0.15 per round.

Close enough to surplus cost that it does not justify reloading except for accuracy concerns. Even then, my Wolf surplus steel case shoots 1 1/2" out of about anything I own (referred to as "close enough") and cost $0.23 per shot, so it gets delivered to the door on occasion.

I bought a box of .308 about four years ago and found it shot all over the target from a gun capable of 1/2" groups. I reloaded the empties and they shot fine.

I can not remember the last box of 30-06 I bought. Everything has been reloads for decades.

There are very few "cheap calibers" when it comes to rifle rounds.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-11-2017 at 05:25 PM.

And then you have the steel unreloadable cheapos I get sometimes. I shoot a coupla mags of 45 at the pistol range a coupla times a week. I shoot my rifle a time or two (our rifle range is a magnet for idiots) at dawn once a week. I dry fire some. More courses when I'm up and mobile.

I shoot a lot. A whole lot. I should probably start reloading.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I shoot a lot. A whole lot. I should probably start reloading.
    It all depends on the factors we were just discussing.

You can buy 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x39 so cheap reloading does not save enough to justify the time and effort.

Most big bore pistols and rifle accuracy loads it will pay off big time.

Lots of calibers I reload just because I have the gear. I have been working on a batch of .32acp all evening. I don't need them, don't even have a .32 pistol, they are just real cute they are so little bitty.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-11-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Fortunately I have never had the cost of factory ammo enter as a factor in my gun choices. Not since 1960-something when I bought my first reloading rig.

From what I understand it can be rough if feeding anything but a 9mm these days.

And we have all seen the supply of everything in every caliber dry completely up over the past 8 years.

Fortunately one can set up for reloading .45acp (press,dies, powder, primers & bullet mold) for the cost of 3 boxes of premium ammo.
    When I reloaded I never saved a dime! I just shot a lot more. I sure wouldn't want to load many rounds on a setup you could buy for the cost of three boxes of ammo unless you're talking three 1,000 round crates. When I started out I was too poor for a full-on progressive setup but I bought a semi-progressive Lee setup, did the priming in a separate step with a Lee priming tool. Not as fast as something like a Dillon but faster than the Rock Chucker my Dad used for rifles.

I don't have a space to reload right now, and not enough time to do it. And I never use/used reloads for CCW or to load in a defensive gun.

At least there are components now. For about two years I didn't see a single primer or more than a couple cannisters of powder at any of the local shops. If you plan to roll your own the rules are the same as if you use all factory ammo- you have to stockpile all the individual components you'll need (eg powder, primers, bullets).

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    But not everyone casts their own to keep the cost that low!
    When I was a kid Dad got on a bullet casting kick. In those days there were lots of wheel weights and window counterweights that you could get for basically free (he was an aviation mechanic in the Navy and knew lots of mechanics, and he was a carpenter so there were always old window weights around). I'm not sure where you get the cheap lead nowadays. Do you have to buy it or are there still sources that are basically free?

We use to get the wheel weights in 5 gallon buckets from the tire shops. We cast weights for salt water fishing. Our friend made extra money casting weights. Last time I saw him do it was just before Wilma in '05.

I don't know if they still use weights to balance tires. At work on our trucks they put DynaBeads in the tires and it balances itself.

Well Phaedrus different people have different hobbies. And what we do is a hobby. No one is making us do it. We do if for the love of the activity and the sport. Sounds like you do not get much enjoyment out of it so I suggest you not do it!

Some people restore $100,000 cars, some ride $50,000 Harleys, some go on cruises to distant lands, some collect art works and all of them spend money while they are doing it. I have a neighbor who spends over $250 monthly to watch TV and has half his house dedicated to that pursuit.

I spend considerably less than most on gear, ammo and shooting.

Perhaps I am being a glass half full kind of guy for once but I consider getting to shoot 4 $.15 shots down range instead of one $.60 shot a positive rather than a negative. Now go ask the first woman you see walking down the isle at the mall if she is saving money if she gets a buy four at the price of one deal.

Lead is still available and while it is only free if you have a source pushing it out the back door of the tire store it can still be bought for $.25 a pound and that will get you about 50 9mm/.38 slugs and about 30 slugs .44/.45 so that is about 30-50 shots cast lead to one jacketed hollow point bought from the store.

And you need to check out the price of premium defensive ammo in .45acp. Some of it is running $50 a box and yes you can get a Lee single stage press, dies, powder, primers and a set of mold blocks for $150.

No, it is not a Dillon, but my first car was not a new Cadillac either. In fact, most reloaders recommend that new people in the hobby start with a simple single stage set up.

I do not carry reloads in my CCW guns. But that is due to legal aspects of carrying concealed.

I do carry reloads for hunting in both rifle and pistols, as do many hunters, and I consider them superior to factory ammo.

Most reloaders expect to get better performance from their reloads than from factory ammo.

There are lots of videos on youtube of guys going to a shooting range and scavenging lead from there. If I ever get into reloading, I probably will as well.

Back to the original discussion. I read the article. Kinda funny. First it is a 9mm, it seems some of you think it is .45.... I am probably wrong.

"pistols have remained relatively unchanged for the better half of a century".... where have they been! Anyways, almost all semi-auto pistols today are improved versions (or not so improved) of the 1911. This doesn't look like anything new. However, I wish them well. Competition is a good thing.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee