Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Preparedness

Not to derail again...but thought I would add...Thought I recognized that name.....
    Came across him and his books doing research on shelters

Danial Beard......author of "Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Carter_Beard

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ioBbbTuJisAAAA

Great book.......Many others of his are still in print, even after over 100 years.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Uncle Dan, I got his book shelter shacks and shelters for christmas one year when was a kid. Bout wore it out reading it.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Saw it in the Library as a young man......now own my own copy.
    Coud have been written yesterday....except for the fact the the "wood's at the edge of town" is now owned, fenced and posted.

Pretty hard to cut down enough logs for a cabin and stockade.....or signal tower.

Too bad....we had "the woods" 1/2 block away, mill pond lake, several trout streams and several "mounds" to climb.

I suspect at least in my area there are enough old landowners that would allow kids to cut trees and build shelters and play. I know I would.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Y'all aren't derailing. We're here to converse. Share ideas, experiences, opinions, etc. It's all good.

I some times wonder when that same land we played on was developed, what people thought of our several "forts" and towers.
    Thre wasn't many that followed us when we go older and had moved on to girls, cars jobs, sports....etc.

Probably thought they were early settlers cabins......LOL.

My childhood was great..... and feel sorry for those that didn't have those opportunities.

I can see why there are many people that would have trouble taking care of them selves.

How many 10 years old's today are allowed a pocket knife, BB gun....ask for and get bow saws and axes as gifts.....and think nothing of it?

I knew I was leading my grandson down the wrong path when at about 7 I told him, "I got you something today" and he replied. "Bullets?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I knew I was leading my grandson down the wrong path when at about 7 I told him, "I got you something today" and he replied. "Bullets?!"
    Bhohaha....I'm thinking that was the correct mind set?

One of my favorites was my 4-5 year son watching me clean a pheasant......
    When I was done....I asked him "What did you think of that".

He says with out hesitation..."Ok lets see ya put it back together"....LOL
    So I gave him a foot, showed him how to pull the tendons making the claws work......then told him, "Now go scare your mother.'