Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preparedness

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Many people do not realize that Africa had a parallel exploration and settlement pattern with North America at about the same time. North America settled east to west, Africa settled south to north.

The Dutch arrived at the Cape about the same time they arrived in New York. The British took over colonial control of the Cape and NY in the same treaty negotiation. Both settlements were resupply ports for the East India Company.

There were explorers and fighters on both continents and the equipment was very similar, as well as the evolution of the frontiersmen/settlers on each continent.

Sometimes the parallels are eerie. Divided natives, divided colonial beliefs, wagon trains going cross country, pitched battles with native tribes that were also migrating, railroad building, exploitation of resources as technology developed.

Both fought wars of independence against Colonial Britain, separated by 100 years and 50 years too late for the Africans to be successful.

Where the U.S. revived the Ranger concept in WW2 the British Army revived the concept of the South African Commando.
    100% correct.
    Our Anglo boer wars where at a similar time as your civil war... maybe 20-30 years difference
    But yup you quiet correct.

Our settlers/frontiersmen and wagon trains exploring where mostly dominated by voortrekkers (boers- basically farmers that where quiet proficient woodsmen,farmers and fighters and masters of gorilla warfare) what are now afrikaaners, but came originally from Dutch settlers , later French and Italian also added to this group of people.. afrikaans is almost similar to Dutch as a language. The how of how I find myself in SA is my great grand father came over from France to join the boers effort in fighting against Colonial Britain in our second boer war (1899- 1902) so I am French decent, I suppose I could claim I am boer, however my 1st language is not afrikaans, some members of our family are Afrikaans 1st language speakers though.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 01-18-2017 at 02:34 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

So what does all this African and American history talk mean to us?

Well, In 1899 there was a British general fighting in the mentioned Boer War, who looked around him at the sad excuse for troops he was being sent. This was a new kind of war, not against uneducated native troops but against European peoples who had learned to fight from the natives and did not line up in rows and shoot or dig trenches and slug it out against machine guns and artillery.

The Boers were mobile, they moved ,long distances on horseback, preformed reconnaissance, raids and ambushes all while living off the land and never returning to a fixed military base which could be attacked and defeated.

Not only were the British troops being out fought, they were not prepared to chase down these African Farmers. In fact they were not very successful even at staying alive in the climate of Africa. Not only were they dying of wounds, they were dying en mass from disease, mostly due to bad hygiene.

This general wrote a book based on his perception of what skills new recruits needed for survival on the modern battlefield and he named the book Scouting for Boys

The man was Braden Powel, and in 1910 he retired from the British army and organized the group we now call the Boy Scouts.

A group originally intended to prepare young men for the military, specifically the duties of military reconnaissance and the wood craft needed to survive away from the normal supply lines. Off grid soldiers we might say.

And 107 years latter we are giving them merit badges for computer gaming, social awareness and sensitivity training.

Well anyway, at least before the concept was morphed into what it is today we had some men that were influenced by the organization long enough to pick up a few skills and recognize the concepts as valid world wide.

Now be mindful that the term SCOUT had a different meaning in 1900. Scouts were SPIES, did recon work and guided the main army to the hidden enemy.

Soon after the founding of the organization in England there were chapters opening in the cities of North America. And it was an urban/suburban movement in the U.S., centered around a mythical "outdoorsman" on the order of Nesmuck, who was a popular writer of that time. The farm boys were too busy, still using the skills to get by, to have interest in the Boy Scouts!

And the movement did its job. In WW1 many of the combatants were former Boy scouts, and in WW2 a very large number of the rank and file were Boy Scout veterans and it showed in the statistics. Thanks to the improved training in field sanitation and the development of some new chemicals WW2 was the first conflict where we did not lose more men to disease than to wounds.

And we are still reaping the rewards of some of those old timers who trained early in the Scouts, took that training into the military and came out to teach us some stuff.

Most here have heard of the concept called the "Scout rifle". Most see it as a light bolt action rifle with a long eye relief scope attached, and that is part of the concept. The base of the concept is actually a light rifle, with any sight system one desires, capable of supporting the scout as he performs his duties. Those duties are generally gathering intelligence and living off the land with fighting only an option of last resort. If you are discovered by the enemy they will make adjustments to nullify the importance of your information. If you get killed you can not transfer your intelligence to the planners.

See how things work out?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-18-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Wow dude hahah you sure know your history aye I am very familiar with Baden Powel
    I did scouts growing up.. also spent some time on farms growing up as did my dad.
    Yeah the boers where really a hardy people that where extremely resourceful and excellent survival and wilderness experts.. in SA we have a saying "' 'n boer maak 'n plaan" which means a boer makes a plan!
    I repped you.. just solid amazing history you know quiet well
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

I found that very interesting as well....
    Most people in the USA tend to follow their own history, personnel or local....if at all...... rather than the world history as it all relates.

Kyrat, seems the life's work wasn't wasted on at least 2 of us....LOL
    Rep sent
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Aye I too repped that I was highly impressed quality post man,and interesting

x3. Nice read. Thanks.

Excellent post. I have read quite a bit regarding Braden Powell. The book he originally wrote was sold as a literary work and it seems to have struck a chord with young adolescent males at the time. The book became so popular because of the youngsters he then wrote a version directed at them. In turn, he and a couple of friends took a group to one of the local islands and stayed for nine days or some such time teaching the kids outdoor skills. If I recall correctly he took fourteen kids. In any case, the trip was a complete success for both adults and youngsters and, as you said, the Boy Scouts were born.

Tried to give you some rep Krat - need to spread the wealth first.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks for the rep.

I would tell you about Daniel Beard but that would be pushing it! Full show-off mode.

One really odd thing I did notice was that both Lord Powel and Daniel Beard entered scouting leadership when they were well into their years. Both were over 60 and in full grandpa mode.

Scouting must have kept them young because they both lived to be over 90.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-18-2017 at 09:57 PM.

was Simon Kenton also known as Simon Butler?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Thanks for the rep.

I would tell you about Daniel Beard but that would be pushing it! Full show-off mode.

One really odd thing I did notice was that both Lord Powel and Daniel Beard entered scouting leadership when they were well into their years. Both were over 60 and in full grandpa mode.

That's because they had all these boy to "Boy, get wood"....or "Boy, set up tent..."Boy, wake me at supper"....Bhohahaha

Personally, I enjoy "Show off mode"

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    was Simon Kenton also known as Simon Butler?
    Yep, he was known as Butler until well up in years. He had changed his name and run off to the wilderness due to a dispute over a young lady where he thought he had killed the other man.

Much latter the young man he feared he had killed migrated to Kentucky and they met again. Seems the young lady they had fought over had grown up to be quite a shrew and both were fortunate not to have married her

After he found he was not wanted for murder he returned to the east and collected his family and brought them to KY. That was when he started using his original name.

While Boone lost all his Kentucky land and was forced out of the state broke and in poverty, Kenton lost all his Kentucky land but was fortunate to have earned land in Ohio for his service in the Rev War and the latter campaigns right up to the War of 1812. That land was secure and he lived on it until his death. I think he settled near Piqua, OH. Not exactly sure on that.

Now.....that makes a good story.......LOL
    Are you sure it wasn't in Michigan ....tip of the mitt...just down the road from Randyt
    Thanks.

Thanks for the rep.

I first learned about Daniel Beard when I was a young Scout camping here http://fsrcamp.org/dbc.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    mmmm yeah I was thinking a similar topic some time ago..
    disaster is a very board term, and likely impossible to be prepared for all scenarios..
    Anthony IMO with proper planning you can pretty much prepare for 99% of possible scenerios. Having the basics of food, water and shelter cover almost everything. Add on medical supplies, ways to gather/ produce more food/ water, protection/ defense and again most scenerios. About the only things that you can't physically prep for are a massive meteor hit, ground zero of a NBC incident, a mega quake/ volcano type of things. But depending on where you are even most of these are survivable. I don't really prep for a certain scenerios, with the exception of NBC gear. Everything else would pretty much work for everything else.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Anthony IMO with proper planning you can pretty much prepare for 99% of possible scenerios. Having the basics of food, water and shelter cover almost everything. Add on medical supplies, ways to gather/ produce more food/ water, protection/ defense and again most scenerios. About the only things that you can't physically prep for are a massive meteor hit, ground zero of a NBC incident, a mega quake/ volcano type of things. But depending on where you are even most of these are survivable. I don't really prep for a certain scenerios, with the exception of NBC gear. Everything else would pretty much work for everything else.
    I agree....
    Some people seem to concern them selves with that 1%, with all sorts of scenarios that are highly unlikely.

But then again think of all the cools gear one can add on the list....Bio-hazard suits, Geiger counters, Faraday cages, Zombie bats and such......Oh wait...
    Never mind...

Hahahah zombie bats... hahahah u guys are right

Anthony any prepper worth his Wahoo Killer knife has a Walking Dead survival rig.

Everyone needs to know a Daryl.

Banned

As you have experienced Anthony, survival is a state of mind. Preparing items that can make things better during the most common of survival situations is a luxury, not a necessity. Re-purposing and adaptability are the keys. You have to be able to take whatever is available and make it serve the purpose that you need most in the situation. You never know where you will be, what you will have in hand, or what the exact disaster is until it's upon you. It just isn't feasible to be prepared for everything, everywhere, at each minute of every day. The best survival tool is your mind, and you always carry it with you. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    As you have experienced Anthony, survival is a state of mind. Preparing items that can make things better during the most common of survival situations is a luxury, not a necessity. Re-purposing and adaptability are the keys. You have to be able to take whatever is available and make it serve the purpose that you need most in the situation. You never know where you will be, what you will have in hand, or what the exact disaster is until it's upon you. It just isn't feasible to be prepared for everything, everywhere, at each minute of every day. The best survival tool is your mind, and you always carry it with you. JMHO.
    Yes this is my thoughts exactly.