Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a survival bag

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Chances are, a fire would destroy it. The bottom is aluminum, and the sides silicon. None are really good with fire.
    My thoughts as well.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Cheap ole pot from the kitchen works just as well as these high dollar "bushcraft" pots. I have many unspectacular kitchen pots and pans in my camping gear.
    of course they do and my favorite would be a cast iron skillet and a cast iron dutch oven but they are bulky and heavy. stainless steel are lighter but still bulky for a survival bag anyway when ever i go camping sure i bring what ever fits in the vehicle. looking for small collapsible stuff is to maximize usage of space and reduce weight if possible. remember survival is a contest of minimizing how much energy you use vs how much you are able to procure and consume. lugging around a huge bag full of bulky and heavy gear will cost more energy as well as potentially give away your position when moving to other survivors. For a camping/hiking bag oh ya you can get great cheap pots at thrift stores for a bug out bag/survival bag you want to cut back on as much as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    Try a dakota FIRE pit, they work well to cook on...
    We used on on this trip
    ya dakota fire pits are awesome and if you are careful not to add any green/wet wood they tend to produce little or no smoke so also great for staying hidden.
    Last edited by Kildar; 06-06-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Trust me Kildar - while I may have a couple of hundred pounds of cast iron and cookware, for backpacking a simple titanium pot is all that comes with me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Trust me Kildar - while I may have a couple of hundred pounds of cast iron and cookware, for backpacking a simple titanium pot is all that comes with me.
    for backpacking sure for a long weekend/week of camping in the same spot caster iron is great but ya i would not lug it far at all its dead weight. I was trying to stick to the original post of the bag in question being a survival bag which i have always seen as something for emergencies so less weight, bulk, noise is preferred. I guess i may be the only one here who thinks in terms of disaster type of survival seems every one else here is thinking more about living in the wild for fun so far that i have seen. I would would get dragged back to the city if i tried to move off the grid by my student loans lol.

I guess that some people fantasize about bugging out on foot and making a new life in the forest. That's just not reality. The reasons that 99% of the people of the United States bug out is due to a localized threat - be it weather, fire, train derailment or industrial plant problem. The reality is also that it will only last hours to maybe a few days.

People are not going to hoof it into the woods. They are going to get into their vehicles and go where they need to go.

Some people are better prepared than others, but nobody is grabbing a pack and heading to the woods to live. That is the thing of fantasies and cheap movies.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kildar View Post
    Snip ........... I guess i may be the only one here who thinks in terms of disaster type of survival seems every one else here is thinking more about living in the wild for fun so far that i have seen. I would would get dragged back to the city if i tried to move off the grid by my student loans lol.
    Yup, you pretty well nailed it...we have been trying to tell you that in all of your other posts.

From the Header....

SurvivalThreads / Posts Last Post
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness.
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-06-2017 at 10:11 PM.

For pots,
    The foldabale one, I worry about that silicone on an open fire. ( it will work fine on a controllable gas fire, for camping that's all)
    A cast iron pot/skillet They extremely heavy, but indestructible, I never camp with them or Do survival/bushcraft.. ITS just too heavy and big.
    I seen those Billy can pots (zebra 12cm pot, they look cool but seem far too expensive ,well for me.)
    What We use in South Africa, is either what we call a fire bucket/canteen cup (which fits on the bottom of a Army water bottle)
    Or we use Dixie pans... sure They aluminium... but they long lasting in fact I have used ones that are over 30 years old and have been used in the army before.
    I like them, and you can pack stuff inside the DIXIE set.

I like army Surplus stuff, especially Older Army stuff, like around the 70ies and 80ies..
    Their equipment well for me (from South African army, and many other armies) is pretty Good
    love their Tarps(bashas) puncho Tarps, Eating utensils, dixie pans, ammo pouches (good for keeping anything in and put on your belt)
    The clothing - its literally indestructible, any of their bags.. I mix a bunch of ex-army equipment, well its cheap, its Very reliable and very very tough.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 06-07-2017 at 03:41 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

South African border war,
    my dad fought in from the mid 70ies through till around 87/88, it was around this time as far as I can recall, or have been told that our ground forces where among the best in the world.
    the terrain was harsh and unforgiving, a terrible war, my dad does not talk much about the experience just a few stories.
    I got a lot of his ex kit and he often suggests things to me or gives me bits and bob's, Experience is key and these kit items ARE Tough.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 06-07-2017 at 04:39 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

My go-to is also the milsurp canteen, w/cup and stove nested together in a carried.
    Newer carriers have a little pouch w/velcro closer.....I use for water purification tabs or a mini Bic.
    Like this.

https://www.ebay.com/i/152070412144?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

This one has a cup lid...and larger carrier.
    Stove can be used with fuel tabs or wood.......

My older canteens are aluminum so it is possible to boil water "in" the canteen.....Never tasted too good to me....out of the aluminum

As TonyA referred to....these have been use all over the world....for many 80+ years.

My first canteen cup and cover came out of a truck load size pile....for our local junk dealer bought them to crush .
    1950....kids price was like .25 cents for everything canteen, cup, cover/carrier...cover had the old wire belt pistol hangers on them....was and still is a PITA.
    We got the USGI mass kits as well....Trenching tool.....
    All sorts of treasure.....just had to dig thru those piles

The guy pretty much gave the stuff away....has plenty ...pile held a 40K truck load.

PS....Aw crap....just bought another one...LOL want to see that the carrier/cover looks like.
    2 click checkout.....
    Oh well.....
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-07-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    My go-to is also the milsurp canteen, w/cup and stove nested together in a carried.
    Newer carriers have a little pouch w/velcro closer.....I use for water purification tabs or a mini Bic.
    Like this.

https://www.ebay.com/i/152070412144?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

This one has a cup lid...and larger carrier.
    Stove can be used with fuel tabs or wood.......

My older canteens are aluminum so it is possible to boil water "in" the canteen.....Never tasted too good to me....out of the aluminum

As TonyA referred to....these have been use all over the world....for many 80+ years.

My first canteen cup and cover came out of a truck load size pile....for our local junk dealer bought them to crush .
    1950....kids price was like .25 cents for everything canteen, cup, cover/carrier...cover had the old wire belt pistol hangers on them....was and still is a PITA.
    We got the USGI mass kits as well....Trenching tool.....
    All sorts of treasure.....just had to dig thru those piles

The guy pretty much gave the stuff away....has plenty ...pile held a 40K truck load.

PS....Aw crap....just bought another one...LOL want to see that the carrier/cover looks like.
    2 click checkout.....
    Oh well.....
    aye similar setup for Our army.
    Love old surplus stuff
    my dad gave me a battle jacket for bday:

this exactly
    https://kommandostore.com/south-afri...battle-jacket/

also gave me the chest rig:
    https://kommandostore.com/south-afri...-83-chest-rig/

I am actually toying with the idea of taking the battle jacket to the Jungle and putting my gear in the pouches.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 06-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.

cool stuff...thanks for posting.....
    Loaded, looks heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    cool stuff...thanks for posting.....
    Loaded, looks heavy?
    Fully loaded with their kit yes, it would be as they carry well was an R1 assault rifle, but now an R4, but similar in weight.. amo, mess kit , water bottles etc.. yeah i suppose it would be cause they dont use gortex or molle systems here like other Milatry..
    Its quiet heavy duty canvas..
    But the empty battle jacket not really maybe a half a kilogram, which is a pound ?

I like it....
    Just whisper to yourself......"One more thing,... just one more thing...honest, just one more thing...."

I have been whispering that for years and it has always been one more thing. Trouble is that one more thing keeps coming.

Hahaha there is always one more thing

I also carry the canteen, cup, and nested stove and it works well for boiling water, cooking noodles etc. But I also have a little 4 inch aluminum frying pan from Walley world. It is very handy to fry eggs, squirrel, quail, and many other things that I prefer to be fried. It fries just enough for 1 meal which is normally all I would need, and it is very light weight. It seems to complete the set for bush craft cooking, and it has a Teflon coating so it can just be wiped out with a napkin or green leaves!
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

Lack of navigation supplies. You'll need a compass, and learn how to use said compass.

Never underestimate the importance of extra socks - ever.
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 01-29-2018 at 10:07 PM.

somebody mentioned a wool blanket - i remember my first night in VIET NAM [ JUNGLE ] i had a wool blanket that was the first thing the guy`s threw away on me - just like in the movie PLATOON - if it gets damp forget it !!

Banned

wow-wow-wow! So many useful replies! But what about light/ultralight survival bag? Or at least for 20% body weight, as described ******************
    Last edited by crashdive123; 06-20-2020 at 01:22 PM. Reason: removed link

I camped with homeless for over a year (activist - veterans) and my Pendleton chief Joseph blanket was the heaviest thing I carried, and the one thing I liked the most, next to the 1970's era hitch hikers pack...

If you need to be really hard to find, get a hammock and get treed at night. Also good way to hide your kit,,as no one ever looks Up...generally speakin