Thread: Fishing while backpacking

Student Survavlist

Post Fishing while backpacking

Hi! I am going backpacking at Wind River Range in Wyoming this July, and I would like to do some fishing (catch and eat). Does anybody have some experience fishing while backpacking? If so some pointers would be very helpful. Should I go for a telescopic rod, or one of those 3 or 4 piece rods you put together? I was thinking about focusing on fishing for Rainbow Trout because I read they were native to that area. What kind of tackle would you recommend? I know only the basics of fishing so any and all information is very appreciated.

Also, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this thread. I am new and still trying to figure out the website.

Thanks,
    Sam
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another option is an Emmrod. I saw a guy last summer catch a Silver salmon on one, it looked like a lot of fun.

www.emmrod.com
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I googled Fishing the Wind River Range and got hundreds of articles, blogs, advertisements, PDF of state regulations, and You-tube videos.

Everyone seemed to be using whatever rigs they wanted to use and from what I saw the chances of getting a fishing rod tangled in a tree was a nonissue. No trees.

You can get tangled up in legal issues though. Some areas require a guide, all areas require the State Fishing License and if you are on tribal land you will have tribal regulations to deal with. Some species can be eaten and some are catch and release only.

I have a friend that owns land up there. Grizzly can be a problem.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tenkara. Telescoping and simple.

Is this a fishing trip that you will hike to and camp.....?
    Or
    Is it backpack/hiking trip,... that you may or may not be able to fish for lunch?

Fishing gear starts with a hook and string ....to the most expensive fishing rigs....and all the baits.

This little telescoping fish kit was from a yard sale, (thinking it was kids kit)....added a small box of hooks sinkers and swivels.....and a couple of Dare Devil spoons and red rubber worms, night crawlers.

For rivers... I like a river rig with caught bait, worms grubs insects.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Or you can make up a survival fishing kit....many posted...including one Crash made up...can't seem to find it at the moment.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Butter, salt, and pepper. If you want to get fancy... garlic powder.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Butter, salt, and pepper. If you want to get fancy... garlic powder.
    Don't forget a little lemon seasoning!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

You guys are going to have me sitting in the rain down by the lake if you keep this up.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You guys are going to have me sitting in the rain down by the lake if you keep this up.
    Let me know. I'll bring coleslaw and taters for fries and we'll have a fish fry!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Student Survavlist

I'm sorry, but what are spoons relating to fishing?

This will be a backpacking trip where I hope to catch something for lunch or dinner maybe 2 days out of the 7 I will be there
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee_woodsman View Post
    I'm sorry, but what are spoons relating to fishing?

This will be a backpacking trip where I hope to catch something for lunch or dinner maybe 2 days out of the 7 I will be there
    Daredevil spoons are basic fishing gear in most areas of the U.S./world. Google them.

Why do we need to know how many days a week you are fishing? You still have to have the gear and follow the regulations. It does not matter if you fish all day every day or for five minutes once during the trip, the information and answers are going to be the same.

Sorry, .....I was thinking when you said fishing....that would be self explanatory ....my bad.

Spoons.....fishing....few examples....
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3715868...&ul_noapp=true

I like the red and white Dare Devils...different sizes...when all else fails......I tie one for fast water.......
    Red rubber worms and night crawler made up rigs...with 2/3 hooks.
    Natural grubs, worms, maggots, and I'm told.... corn
    Salmon eggs...at fishing store.

http://blog.havalon.com/rainbow-trou...-for-rainbows/

One need to know the that laws and seasons....some places are catch and release, size regulations, hook style....and some places don't allow natural bait....artificial only.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Student Survavlist

Good to know. Thanks!

Student Survavlist

Hunter63 asked what kind of trip it was. I was simply providing extra details

For reference, I do a lot of fishing in the Rockies, and also do a lot of backpacking, mostly in the Uintas ( south of the wind rivers in Utah). Never been to the Winds, but will some day. That place looks amazing.

I use a telescoping rod. I also use the smallest open faced reel that I can get. The line you use is also important. Don't get anything heavier than 8lb monofilament. They have braided line that acts like 8lb test, but is stronger. You also want a small roll of leader line, about 6lb test monofilament.

For tackle, I only use one type of spinner. I have a bunch of different ones that I got from my grandpa, but if I lose them, I replace it with just one kind... jake's luer. There is another one called a "super duper" that my dad used a lot when he was a kid. I have seen those as well, but not as prevalent as the jake's. Get the smallest one they have.

You also need a bubble. This is not a float. I would bring 4-5 of these, they break easily. Then you will need a bunch of swivel hooks, a bunch of small treble hooks, some small single hooks, and maybe a small can of power bait. I only buy the "corn" power bait. Get a really small plastic tackle box, like the size of your hand. Oh, and maybe some small black flies.

If I fish a lake, there are 3 methods I try. One is with power bait. You put the bubble on the line, then tie a swivel hook on the end. Fill the bubble all the way with no air inside. Get a 3-4 foot leader and tie a treble hook on the end. Put enough power bait on the hook to make sure it floats. Not too much though. Chuck that sucker out as far as possible and let it sit. Once you have given the bubble enough time to hit the bottom, slowly, slowly reel in, just till your line goes tight. Prop the pole up on something and DON'T touch it. Let it sit for a while. When the tip starts jiggin', grab the pole and yang, then reel in... not too fast.
    You can switch out the treble hook and powerbait for a single hook and a worm. Everything else is the same.
    Another method is to switch out the treble hook with a luer, or a fly, and only fill the bubble a little over half full. With this method you cast, and then immediately reel back in. You repeat this over and over, varying the speed at which you reel in.
    You can also just use a luer without the bubble. You still need a swivel hook. Anytime you use a luer, you are basically casting and immediately reeling in.

If I river fish, I do it completely different. I tie a swivel hook on the end of the line, then tie a single hook on a 3-4 ft leader onto the swivel hook. I put a worm on the hook (mostly half or a third of a worm). Then I pull out enough line to swing it out in the middle, swing it out, and let the water carry it down stream while I pull line out of the reel. I will try and stop it in a slow moving spot and hold it there.

I think fishing in the rockies and fishing east of the rockies is different, even if for the same species of fish. Have fun!
    Last edited by finallyME; 01-12-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Spinners like roostertails, mepp's aglia, and blue fox vibrax are probably the best bet, because it sounds like you're not really experienced (no offense). It's hard to keep fish from not hitting this thing, no matter what you do with it, whether it's trout or panfish or bass. I don't know the area of your trip and what the fish are like, but I would guess that spinners, light jigs, and even flies if you're willing to try it would work. If not, go with bait of some kind if it's legal

Student Survavlist

Thank you! I appreciate the information.

Student Survavlist

None taken! I have almost no experience so you were spot on. Thanks for the response, I will look into the gear you have recommended.