Thread: hello gang

Default hello gang

Hi,
    My name is David and I'm new to this site. I do have a question regarding vacuum sealed food. I will be going on a bike tour called Ride the Rockies this June and was wondering if anyone knows how long and how well will cooked chicken last, vacuum sealed, kept in a large travel bag that will be traveling along in a semi, loading and unloading at different locations. Warm to cool temps. Just looking for a way to store food that I can eat soon after the bike riding each day. After each leg, I have about 30 minutes to eat proteins and carbs. I was just wondering if this will work for a week long bike tour.
    Thanks
    David

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania. David I don't think cooked chicken is going to last too long in vacuumed sealed bag, unless you are talking about dehydrated meat being chicken, beef jerky or some other meat it should be OK but try to store it in the coolest place possible. If weight is no a problem stick with canned meats, just bring a small can opener with you. Just my opinion, lets see if any other forum members have other suggestions.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome....
    Maybe a mod can move this to the intro or cooking section.

Vacuum sealing doesn't do much except keep moisture out....and if this is just cooked without refrigeration...
    I'm not sure I would trust it all day in a bag, in a truck....even a couple of hours on a hot day.

I would suggest energy bars, jerky, nuts, trail mix or freeze dried meals that only needs to be hydrated, and heated.
    Look into MRE's.

What is everyone else bringing?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

It won't work. The chicken will spoil. You can tote up to 70 pounds in Ride the Rockies so make it freeze dried and your food will take up little space and weight. A small rocket stove and pot and you can take care of your needs in that 30 minutes.

Default thanks

[QUOTE=Rick;495083]It won't work. The chicken will spoil. You can tote up to 70 pounds in Ride the Rockies so make it freeze dried and your food will take up little space and weight. A small rocket stove and pot and you can take care of your needs in that 30 minutes.
    Yes, you know exactly what I'm doing. I've done RTR before, but never thought about packing my own goods to eat after riding. Sometimes they put us in a spot where there is nothing to eat and you have to change and go to the nearest town to eat and by that time the window to replenish has gone by. I've *****ed to them about not having chicken sands or burgers for us to eat. I think I will go with freeze dried and maybe can tuna or smoked salmon to eat if there isn't anything quick to grab.
    Thanks.

Hello and welcome. Good luck with the ride.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel