Thread: I just ate a half a pound of bacon.

Default I just ate a half a pound of bacon.

... stone ground cheese grits and free range chicken eggs.

... Life is good.

Sounds awesome!
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Cut out the obscenity talk Max, this is a family forum!

One of the worst parts of living in the north, and my section of Kentucky thinks it is part of the north, is that they do not keep a selection of any real food. I can not find cheese grits anywhere and the only grits I can find are Aunt Jemima and on the trip from south to north she apparently forgot what grits were!

Same for corn meal. Nothing but one yankee brand (Aunt J again) in the whole Kroger store. 50 different types of flour but only 1 selection of corn meal.

Fortunately I have a local guy that runs a historic grist mill and I can get meal from him.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

"burp"

Homemade vegetable soup.

Gonna throw that hambone in a pot with some Navy beans.

Since we've got a couple of nights below freezing........chicken noodle soup (probably closer to stew) last night and chili tonight.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Last night... home made turkey soup.....made from what was left of my last wild turkey.

Bacon around here is a 3 slicer only......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Max......I was gonna call you a light weight! Only a HALF POUND of bacon! But with the other stuff maybe a middle weight. Heck a half pound of bacon is just a warm up. Dear wife normally fixes me breakfast on sunday morning. She usually will eat a couple slices of bacon out of a pound she cooks. Add 4 eggs, some fried taters, 4-5 big ole cat head bisquits, some homemade gravy and (unfortionatilly instant) grits and I'm happy. Course I'm useless ( or more so than normal) for the rest of the morning!
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Ooooo. Fried taters! I have an Idaho potato for the morning.

This won't be a good 2 weeks for healthy eating. A week of Rendezvous meat and taters. 4 days of a Kracaneuner camp... meat and taters. And Yellowyak is coming so there will be mucho bread and cobbler and fried Oreos...

I'll take pictures.

back when i still had a gaulbladder oh yeah the gressey goodies i could put away.
    fried grit patties in bacon fat yum.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Ooooo. Fried taters! I have an Idaho potato for the morning.

This won't be a good 2 weeks for healthy eating. A week of Rendezvous meat and taters. 4 days of a Kracaneuner camp... meat and taters. And Yellowyak is coming so there will be mucho bread and cobbler and fried Oreos...

I'll take pictures.
    You realize of course that the mountain man breakfast I make at Buck Lake will be epic right?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm stretching my stomach out already.

You guys are unlucky, corn meal is a staple food here.. we call it meilie meal. What you call grits we call it pap. Meile pap... cook it all the time..
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

There are basically 2 kinds of cornbread here (Southern USA). Sweet and unsweet. Both need to be cooked in a cast iron skillet to get respect. I can put a hurtin' on sweet cornbread. There is mush up North which I like but nobody in the South would carry it. It's about what it says. Cornmeal mush. Cook, let it gel. Cool. And fry. Good stuff. I don't think anybody calls it cornbread, but I've been in the South for40 years.

Yeah we do the corn bread thing also..we also use cast iron pots/skillet.. we call it a potjie pot to do stews (we call it potjiekos which derictly translated means pot food) a good cast iron pot here is basically like a family heirloom they buy one or two and last for ever.. but are readily available just shows how important these pots/skillets are and bake breads in etc...although this wasn't really attributed to English men really it kinda came from the boer nation over here. The afrikaans people of now a days come from a long line of voortrekkers (a nation made up of French hogenouts,Dutch and Italian) a proud people that pride themselves in old ways of the woodsmen.. I am not afrikaans speaking, we not 1st language, its my 2nd language,however I am French decent from my great grand dad that came over in the 2nd boer war to fight against the English at the late 1800's so yeah all in all what I guess I mean is I am an English boer.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 01-09-2017 at 08:09 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    There are basically 2 kinds of cornbread here (Southern USA). Sweet and unsweet. Both need to be cooked in a cast iron skillet to get respect. I can put a hurtin' on sweet cornbread.
    You left out the fried cornbreads! You use the same batter, either sweetened or unsweetened, and drop a big serving spoon of the batter into bacon grease in a hot skillet or on a griddle. Makes a corn cake about the size of a hamburger bun. They are great for drowning under a pile of beans.

They are quick breads, only taking a couple of minutes to cook when the baked breads take almost an hour.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Never tried fried corn bread! Seems like it would be tasty! Man would be cool to just experience some of your traditions.. I get the feeling that a lot of the woodsmen and such a like wouldn't be much different from our old maak 'n plaan (make a plan) type old school farmers we got here.