Thread: chamber reamer rentals

Default chamber reamer rentals

I have a couple projects that need a chamber reamer. One is a goofy greener shotgun in 12/14 gauge. I want to chamber it to 2 3/4 '' 12 gauge. I usually buy a reamer but thinking the reamer rental places may be the way to go. Any thoughts?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

They do rent them at:...for Handi Rifles.....don't know what is available.

Grey Beards Outdoors
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-r...able-rent.html

Or...
    http://www.4-dproducts.com/display.p...Rifle+Calibers

Maybe....?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

thanks for the links Hunter
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I noticed that they also have the reamers and taps to install screw in choke tubes.

Makes me wish I had not jug choked my Mossberg riot gun barrel.

Randy is that Greener bore in between a 12 and 16, but chambered for 12 gauge?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm not sure what the chamber and bore is. It was designed for a odd round with a step chamber. There is a step in the chamber at about 1.5 inches. From my research it can be rechambered to 12 ga. I read that it is a very tight choke. Mine has a proof mark indicating a 1.5 oz nitro load.

Those Greeners are tough old guns. It sounds like what you have is the Greener Police shotgun.

They are so strangely engineered It is almost scary. And it was not just a strange gun, it used strange ammo too!

I think I would consider buying a new 12 gauge barrel blank from Numrich and changing barrels since the system was designed with a stepped chamber to take a stepped shell and is not a full 12ga bore. What they are calling a "tight choke" is a bore only .650-.660.

Does yours have the three point firing pin? You may have to change that out too.

There are reports that people have fired the little 1 1/2" Fiochi shells from those guns and lived to tell about it. Buying a half case of those might be cheaper than renting the reamer.

I thought about those aguila mini shells. Haven't taken the breech block out of it but it looks like a single firing pin. I'll probably re chamber it, there's been quite a few that have been converted. There is a company out of missouri that specializes in it.

Looking at the history of those Greeners it appears that most of them were mid 20th Century production with lots of them made just before WW2. They should be in relatively good condition if they were cleaned appropriately after use. I would suspect that many were never fired while in colonial service.

And your ammo problem is the exact reason they were chambered as they were. The only two manufacturers of ammo (none has been made in almost 40 years) for those guns was Greener, while they were in use, and Konch of Germany after they were decomissioned. The British colonial authorities did not want anyone having ammo for those guns if they were stolen for terrorist use. They handed out the shotguns and a few rounds to the colonial police and kept tight control on the ammo supply, with none in civilian hands. Right now there are probably more Greener police guns than there are shells for the Greener police guns.

But that action will hold up for anything you want to shoot from it. I talk to a lot of British shooters and the Greener is to them what the break open SS is to us. They are chambered for every shotgun gauge and are the "cheap gun" of GB and are often given away to new shooters due to the British laws.

Over there one is restricted to how many guns they can have, not by count but by how many will fit in the gun safe! You have to keep them locked up and most folks can not afford a large safe, as well as the housing being smaller than we are used too with little room for a big safe. If the safe is full and you want a new gun something must go and often it will be the old Greener knock about gun.

Many times the shops will not accept a Greener as trade because they simply can not sell them. They sit for years taking up space because the shooters are giving them away.

You must find another person that has a shotgun certificate or firearms certificate and unload it on them. Since they are also restricted in the same way they will not pay for a Greener to fill the safe. SO one is left with the task of finding a newbie that wants a SGC and is willing to pay for the SGC and you GIVE them the Greener to start up their shooting. I have also heard of one person paying for another persons SGC just to give them a Greener and make room for something else.

This situation promotes the ownership of good quality firearms. If your safe only holds five guns you want the best guns you can stuff in there, not cheap stuff. If you buy cheap right off the bat you are stuck with it until you find someone to unload it to.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-09-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Once again I earned something....I had never herd of a Greener.........

They were/are made on the old Martini action. The British adopted it at the same time we did the Trapdoor Springfield, only the Martini action was much stronger and stayed in production and use until even today.

Do you remember back in the late 1960s when Ithaca made their lever action single shot .22 rifle?

They used the same action in reduced size for that gun. It did not sell well either and production only lasted a short time even though it was a fine little gun.

It seems that Americans do not like the Martini action even though it is an American invention if I remember correctly. The British have used the action for everything from .22 rimfire to single shot elephant guns as well as the military calibers and all shotgun bores. The little .310 Martini is a favorite small bore varmint rifle all over the British world.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-09-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Slowly the memory of a Sportsmen's Guide offering a number of years back .....

Is this action type y'all are taking about?
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...rifle?a=691375

Here are some pictures for you Hunter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gree...wQsAQIPw&dpr=1

here is the bottle-necked step down 12/14 gauge shell used for the police gun.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gree...hpU43PGq0JM%3A

Was the american martini, the peabody martini? My safe has 4 martinis, 2 BSA "small ring" in 22 lr, a little bigger martini in .310 cadet, the greener and a lone action hanging on a hook. I have heard there is a company making the 12/14 greener ammo, the name escapes me. oops I also have one of those ithaca martinis in whipped condition. Vickers also made a martini type action that utilized a one piece stock, for some reason I would like to have one of those to monkey with. I wish my greener was the GP model but I'm happy to have the one I have. My father had one in 577/450. he traded it of years ago. I still have a few boxes of empties made by Kynoch. These are the firearms that get my heart to beating. lol

Peabody was the American. He invented the action and patented it in 1866. It was used extensively in Europe by the French and Swiss and the design was picked up by the British with some modifications to be the Peabody-Martini. It was then equipped with with a polygonal rifled barrel to become the Henry-Martini.

Greener was just one of the makers.

The Afghans were still shooting them at the Russians back in the '80s. They are probably still shooting them at us!

Well I can see where a reamer would be needed for a 12ga.....but what would be the bore?

Cool shells....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.