Thread: FL nut job

Default FL nut job

I hate playing the left's card but...
    A dishonorable discharge is enough to stop gun ownership in FL
    A domestic violence conviction is enough to stop gun ownership in FL.
    A self admitted "I hear voices telling me to hurt people." is enough to stop gun ownership.
    Get with it Big Brother or we will.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

No matter how you cut the deck this guy illegally owned the firearm he used based on those three points, which are universal eliminators nationwide.

So what does Big Brother do, put everyone with a domestic dispute charge, has been in therapy, or is on antidepressants on the "no fly list"?

There was a huge push against repealing the 2nd amendment rights of vets in therapy as an insult to their service. Many did not know it had happened until they had purchases denied.

So what are you suggesting?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-07-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

No. The domestic thing is a touchy subject. Mandatory arrest is a little overboard. The law is adjudicated time in a mental facility with mental illness. If you say you hear voices and/or they tell you to hurt others or yourself you are subject to involuntary treatment. As schizophrenics and psychotics should be. To stabilize and evaluate. People with depression should be helped not punished.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I would agree on all points, but that does not address the fact that this person obtained, or retained, a firearm in spite of his condition.

Apparently his entire family, and his x-wife, knew he was nuts! Did no one know he was armed and alert proper authorities?

Once again, the laws are in place but no one identified, addressed or enforced them.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-07-2017 at 06:38 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Someone that knew him could've put him in a safe place. I blame the stigma of mental illness for that.

We as a nation spend billions on mental heath, Taxes & Donated. Guess its just not working. We do not need more laws, we need more common sense.

Here is the problem

Alaska Statutes.

Title 47. Welfare, Social Services and Institutions

Chapter 30. Mental Health

Section 700. Initiation of Involuntary Commitment Procedures.

previous: Section 695. Notice of Request For Release of Minors Under 18 Years of Age From Detention and Commitment.
    next: Section 705. Emergency Detention For Evaluation.
    AS 47.30.700. Initiation of Involuntary Commitment Procedures.

(a) Upon petition of any adult, a judge shall immediately conduct a screening investigation or direct a local mental health professional employed by the department or by a local mental health program that receives money from the department under AS 47.30.520 - 47.30.620 or another mental health professional designated by the judge, to conduct a screening investigation of the person alleged to be mentally ill and, as a result of that condition, alleged to be gravely disabled or to present a likelihood of serious harm to self or others. Within 48 hours after the completion of the screening investigation, a judge may issue an ex parte order orally or in writing, stating that there is probable cause to believe the respondent is mentally ill and that condition causes the respondent to be gravely disabled or to present a likelihood of serious harm to self or others. The court shall provide findings on which the conclusion is based, appoint an attorney to represent the respondent, and may direct that a peace officer take the respondent into custody and deliver the respondent to the nearest appropriate facility for emergency examination or treatment. The ex parte order shall be provided to the respondent and made a part of the respondent's clinical record. The court shall confirm an oral order in writing within 24 hours after it is issued.

(b) The petition required in (a) of this section must allege that the respondent is reasonably believed to present a likelihood of serious harm to self or others or is gravely disabled as a result of mental illness and must specify the factual information on which that belief is based including the names and addresses of all persons known to the petitioner who have knowledge of those facts through personal observation.

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/he...-by-state.html
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I hate playing the left's card but...
    A dishonorable discharge is enough to stop gun ownership in FL He had a "General Discharge" which is not an issue in Florida.
    A domestic violence conviction is enough to stop gun ownership in FL.
    A self admitted "I hear voices telling me to hurt people." is enough to stop gun ownership. From what I read he specifically told the Alaska FBI that he did not intend to hurt anyone. In Florida you have to be committed or adjudicated. Voluntarily "checking yourself" into a mental health facility might not do it. Even being Baker acted won't do it without the right prognoses.
    Get with it Big Brother or we will.
    Anyone in the US can get a gun anywhere in the US if they want one. A firearm that would cost you a premium is actually cheaper once you lift the concern with possession of a stolen or unlawful weapon. If your fixin to commit a capital crime for which you will either take your own life or rely on responders to take your life, do you really worry about unlawful possession or carry laws?

@ WOO - How is that a problem? I don't understand what you are saying.

I did assume it was a dishonorable discharge. My mistake.

I don't have an answer for the "adjudication" process. I was/am under the impression a judge locks you up for awhile for help, the doctors keep you there for awhile, no gun.

Of course, the street buy is never going to be gone now. Just too many guns.

I like the above opinion of no more new laws. Get serious and slap the bad guys with prison time that means something.

On a side note, Trump Jr apparently is pushing making silencers cheaper to own. I like that.

I assume the folks in Alaska are as professional as any group in any other place. The FBI turned him over to local authorities and they handled it based on the information they had at the time. The thing about this is we have no clue how many folks get stopped by professionals and either disarmed, given over for professional help or both. No one can calculate what didn't happen. One guy slips through and it's a horrible tragedy. I don't know how you fix that. Did he tell the local police he was just ticked at the FBI and told them the voices thing to mess with them? Who knows. Only the cops that dealt with him can answer that. I'm sure there will be an investigation on the Alaska end to try and figure out how they missed him. Monday morning quarterbacking usually offers up some pretty good plays that should have been used. We'll never know how many tragedies were averted because someone did get stopped in time.

What WOO posted as Alaska statute is really pretty open. Under that it only takes ONE supposedly responsible adult to say something to get someone under court adjudication, at which point their firearms are taken away? Don't PO your ex-significant-other too much.

Then there is the problem of how exactly do you prove you don't hear voices and are OK to own firearms (and pay all your storage fees, which add up fast when police-involved bonded storage of your firearms is involved.)
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

How many is a "good" number? It only gets you to a hearing, not to adjudication. That only comes about after a health care professional finds you short a marble or two. And that must occur within 48 hours. Sooo..if you are not a problem, everything is settled post haste and you're off to kill bat chit once again.

Sadly, due process does not seem to apply in all cases. http://www.guns.com/2016/03/25/lawma...of-gun-rights/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel