Thread: Hit The Ground!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Hit The Ground!

I would like to give a bit of advice to anyone that might ever be caught in an active shooter situation.

That advice is to TAKE COVER AND HIT THE GROUND!!!

I have been watching the film coverage of the FL airport attack and I am astounded. People in full view of the shooter standing like deer in the headlights, not moving, not taking cover, not hitting the floor flat on their stomachs.

Some crouched, some sit down, some bent over at the waist, some hugged their bags or purses and stood wide eyed, but few were on the ground or seemed to be looking for adequate cover.

People seem to know "Stop Drop and Roll" and most people know "Duck and Cover", but no one seems to know that when you hear gunshots you "Find Cover And Hit The Ground!"

Some seemed to fail to connect the sounds they were hearing with gunfire.

If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

There's a seminar for an active shooter scenario. Take it if you are the sheepdog not the sheep.

I wonder how many people just can't connect what going on with action...just a "WTH is that?"
    I'm not sure I would recognize gun fire and act immediately either....

It's like hearing a shot in the middle of the night....if something else don't jog the mind....you draw a blank..."Did I hear that?"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I hear a shot in the night every couple months or so, figure it is usually someone shooting at a skunk anyway, unless i was really close, so just roll over to look at the clock and listen for anything else. Fortunately far fewer skunks around than a couple decades ago when the city dump was a half mile away! It is the noises that sound like explosions that get me up, oil refinery less than a mile away!

No one expects to be involved in a situation like that. Their first instinct is that it is anything but an active shooter scenario. This is one instance in which the element of surprise is very much in the shooter's favor for all the reasons you stated. I would venture a guess that most don't have the slightest idea of what to do, fear takes over once they realize what they are involved in and just shut down. Not a whole lot of difference between us and those little feinting billy goats unless you've been trained or given the situation some advance thought.

I don't think a lot of people who are in FL permanently or on vacation are thinking about terrorism or mass murders. So they just don't see it coming. And if it does they freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I don't think a lot of people who are in FL permanently or on vacation are thinking about terrorism or mass murders. So they just don't see it coming. And if it does they freeze.
    Exactly, and it's called shock. Responses include everything in the first post. Not at all surprising to be honest. Fight or flight doesn't always kick in. Sometimes it's just what you said; freeze.

Normalcy bias. The assumption that that since a disaster never has occurred, then it never will occur.

It results in the inability of people to cope with a disaster once it occurs. People with a normalcy bias have difficulties reacting to something they have not experienced before.

I read about one recent shooting where the people who heard the gunshots rationalized them as car engines backfiring or balloons popping.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Here is the part you should think about being prepared for. Being separated from your belongings while traveling.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/nat...irport_rampage

So, would a credit card RFID chip set off the alarm if you carry one through the screening booth, either xray or metal detector?
    Do you have a set of keys with a friend at home?
    Not so sure what you do if your shoes are off and stuck on the screening belt.

I was stuck in a jam up outside of security at O'Hare once. The jam packed crowd was not pretty. And you're thinking, "This is outside the security section!" Where would I go if this mob takes it in its head to stampede?
    Always be aware of your exits, sturdy structures that would protect you, and have at least a glimmer of a plan if in an overcrowded situation.
    IOW be aware of your surroundings.
    Last edited by LowKey; 01-08-2017 at 05:34 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Here is the part you should think about being prepared for. Being separated from your belongings while traveling.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/nat...irport_rampage

So, would a credit card RFID chip set off the alarm if you carry one through the screening booth, either xray or metal detector?
    Do you have a set of keys with a friend at home?
    Not so sure what you do if your shoes are off and stuck on the screening belt.

I was stuck in a jam up outside of security at O'Hare once. The jam packed crowd was not pretty. And you're thinking, "This is outside the security section!" Where would I go if this mob takes it in its head to stampede?
    Always be aware of your exits, sturdy structures that would protect you, and have at least a glimmer of a plan if in an overcrowded situation.
    IOW be aware of your surroundings.
    All valid concerns.....found out how all our prepping was when in a hospital,...out of town with dying cell phone...that contained emergency numbers.

You can't hope to cover everything....just most everything you can think of....
    Deranged shooter is still a rarity... ...so hitting the deck would be the most likely be the best course or action.....
    You still need to be aware enough to act.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlup View Post
    Normalcy bias. The assumption that that since a disaster never has occurred, then it never will occur.

It results in the inability of people to cope with a disaster once it occurs. People with a normalcy bias have difficulties reacting to something they have not experienced before.

I read about one recent shooting where the people who heard the gunshots rationalized them as car engines backfiring or balloons popping.
    Yes valid point, and I think some of them either refuses to believe it is actually gun fire, and some of them think it would be embarrassing if they hit the ground and it is not a gun!
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF