Thread: New Version of Magnificent Seven

Default New Version of Magnificent Seven

On New Years, we watched the new version of the Magnificent Seven. I obviously was in the wrong group, because I was the only one who saw the original. If you haven't seen it, and still plan to, don't read the rest of this...I will spoil it.

I thought Chris Pratt did a really good job.... but he is no where near the caliber of Steve McQueen. I can't really put my finger on it, but McQueen had a swagger or a sense of not wanting to live a "safe" life. This is really driven home with the scene when the farmer tells him to stay and get a normal job that is "safe". Christ Pratt showed more of a joker character, who did it to get his horse back (obviously he does it for more reasons than that, but that is what he tries to convey).

I also thought Denzel did a great job. I liked Brynner's character better, but Denzel's was still great. Did I ever mention I am related to Brynner . Very distant, but still.... that makes me cool right?

I think I liked the rest of the Seven in the newer movie, than the older one. I think they were better developed and more memorable. I doubt the main girl in the newer one would have worn that dress. Also, I doubt a Gatling gun would have that kind of range.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I just watched it the other night! I enjoyed it and was thoroughly entertained. It is definitely not as good as the original (which itself is a remake of sorts), and I thought the acting was well done. I agree with you completely that Chris Pratt does not quite measure up to Steve McQueen, but who else does? I honestly can't think of a modern actor who comes any closer than Pratt does. The guns were even more diverse than the original, I saw many SAA's, handful of break open revolvers and even a glimpse of what looked like a S&W Model 1, and a good amount of blackpowder conversions. Pratts character even whips out a Webely bulldog, which I've never noticed in a western before. Rifles included Winchester 1866's and 1873's, some trapdoors. Nary a Winchester '92 in sight which makes me happy.

Greatest western ever? No, but overall I thought it was a good watch, and I enjoyed it.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Haven't seen the new one....liked the 1960 version.
    Our High School Band had the theme song as our closing number in many performances...

Back them...not much effort was put into period correctness, details, story lines, and special effects.....
    Rather those films depended on the audience imitation, star power and identified with,... in this case, the underdogs.

I when I saw the original, I couldn't tell you a 1866 Winchester to a trapdoor......and didn't care.....I had Steve McQueen in it...
    That was enough for me....Just enjoy it for what it is....this time.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Back them...not much effort was put into period correctness, details, story lines, and special effects......
    Back then?.... not much has changed, except the special effects. Of course, one of the reasons the original movie, and this one, are great is because of the storyline. It is a great story...even if it is stolen/taken from a Japanese film.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I when I saw the original, I couldn't tell you a 1866 Winchester to a trapdoor......and didn't care.....I had Steve McQueen in it...
    That was enough for me....Just enjoy it for what it is....this time.
    When I was talking to my family about the movie, they all said.."who is Steve McQueen?". When I was talking with my co-workers about the movie...exactly the same response. About a year ago, a coworker was throwing a ball against a wall, over and over. I said, "hey Steve McQueen, put the ball away." He said..."who is Steve McQueen?" Kids these days.....

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    Greatest western ever? No, but overall I thought it was a good watch, and I enjoyed it.
    Now you have opened a can.... what do you think is the best western ever? I will have to think about that one.

From the plot Summary on IMDB, re the new, modern The Magnificent Seven.
    "... With the town of Rose Creek under the deadly control of industrialist Bartholomew Bogue, the desperate townspeople employ protection from seven outlaws, bounty hunters, gamblers and hired guns."

Hmmmm, now where have we heard that plot before?? A Non-politically correct, dirty rotten stinking running dog capitalist pig and his hired, troglodyte henchmen subjugate and brutalize innocent, non-threatening, helpless proletariat worker peasants. They must hire a bunch of fading gunslingers to save them.

Standard Hollywood fare these days, whereas the original The Magnificent Seven was about a bunch of very poor (but honest) Mexican peons in a tiny Mexican village being pillaged and plundered by an outlaw Mexican bandit and his cut throat Mexican freebooters. (Kinda foretells today's modern Mexican drug cartels.) Nothing politically correct about it. Down-and-out, white, American, has been gunfighters save poor Mexican peasants from Mexican outlaws. If that ain't politically INCORRECT, I don't know what is, huh?

I'm very tired of being preached to by the Hollywood left wing hypocrites so I guess I'll miss their up-to-date, politically correct remake flick and stick with the original.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Now you have opened a can.... what do you think is the best western ever? I will have to think about that one.
    For me its easy, The Outlaw Josey Wales. Followed by True Grit.

Me-"Exactly."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Greatest western ever??

Toss up I suppose;

Hondo

Outlaw Josey Wales

Once Upon A Time In the West

Big Jake

The Wild Bunch

I always laughed myself silly watching any of the Trinity series.

I did not care much for the M7 original, not anticipating much from the remake. Probably will not see it until it hits the small screen.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I did not care much for the M7 original, not anticipating much from the remake. Probably will not see it until it hits the small screen.
    I wasn't expecting much either, probably why I liked it, low expectations does wonders.

Ohh, I forgot about Hondo, need to re-watch that. I recently re-watched Blazing Saddles in honor of the passing of Gene Wilder. Ones things for sure, no WAY that movie gets made today. Holds up remarkably well.

Me-"Exactly."

I go with "Outlaw Josey Wales"...as well.

Followed with "Unforgiven"

All good choices. I really enjoyed Rio Bravo and Cowboys as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

that's a challenging question, There are many but The last of the Dogmen come to mind.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I liked it. Not as good as the Yule Brenner version but a fun flick. And Haley Bennett- yowza!

The good, The Bad, and the Ugly is on right now.....
    OTDCH on Dish

Watched it tonight and I'll say Tombstone as my favorite. Followed by Outlaw Josey Wales.

The Seven Samurai is what the original M7 was based on. There are others, like A Fistful of Dollars, which was based on Yojimbo.
    Even the first Star Wars was based partly on a film called The Hidden Fortress. The originals were all directed by Akira Kurosawa.
    My favorite western is The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. Followed in no certain order by:
    High Noon
    The Searchers
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    Unforgiven
    Little Big Man
    A Fistful of Dollars
    For a Few Dollars More
    My Darling Clementine
    Blazing Saddles
    The Long Riders
    Nevada Smith

I was not crazy about the original M7 (I liked The Wild Bunch more).
    I liked the remake and the original of True Grit and dont favor one over the other.
    There was a western with Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood called Paint Your Wagon that, despite having a lot of singing in it, was pretty good.
    Those are a few I can think of that I liked.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I like High Plains Drifter, just a cool movie!
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF