Thread: Hello from West Tennessee!

Civil War Reenactor 154th_Seth_Adam's Avatar

Talking Hello from West Tennessee!

I'm happy to have found this forum. I believe self-sustainability is something we as humans have loss over time, especially here in the U.S. as Americans are slowly but surely becoming more sedentary every day. I have always been fond of media portrayals of survival, yet the reality of the situation is that it is no game when your life is in danger. I have enjoyed movies such as Jeremiah Johnson (based off of the real life character "Liver-eating" Johnson), The Edge, The Grey, etc. TV Shows I enjoy include are Mountain Men and Dual Survival. I hope I will learn many valuable skills on this forum, and hope you are glad to have me!

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.....From Wisconsin.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hello and welcome!
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Hi and Welcome from middle Tn.

Hey everyone! Such a welcoming community. I think I'll fit in just right on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.....From Wisconsin.
    Mr. Hunter! I'm very fond of Wisconsin. I portrayed the 16th Wisconsin here at the Battle of Bartlett (Union Depot at the time). Have you ever heard of the Union Iron Brigade?

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania.

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome home.

Welcome to the Forum. Glad you found it and us. What is your favorite style of camping?

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Welcome to the Forum. Glad you found it and us. What is your favorite style of camping?
    I have never camped before. I hope to do so in the future. That's why I joined the forum.

Welcome home. From south Africa.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Bear grills calls it survival in South Africa we call that camping heheh..
    Nah in all honesty I don't really diffrenciate.. If I have a tent that is a luxury camp.. everything after that still is camping.. just harder, and a good time practicing wilderness survival and bushcraft skill.
    How would you diffrenciate the style exactly?
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 01-07-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

Quote Originally Posted by 154th_Seth_Adam View Post
    Mr. Hunter! I'm very fond of Wisconsin. I portrayed the 16th Wisconsin here at the Battle of Bartlett (Union Depot at the time). Have you ever heard of the Union Iron Brigade?
    Yes I have...as a matter of fact...Kenosha has a top notch Civil War Museum
    http://www.kenosha.org/wp-civilwar/

My time periods are 1840's (fur trapping era) and 1750's....F & I War....Rodgers Rangers...
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I guess I think about it in terms of, "car camping" where you are able to drive right to a camp site and use your vehicle to carry everything. Almost like camping with a trailer that has a kitchen, bathroom and beds. Then next would be "back packing". Carrying what you need in a ruck, hiking into the woods past where most vehicles can reach. Also "packing in" horseback. I guess I am really asking what level of wilderness people like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I guess I think about it in terms of, "car camping" where you are able to drive right to a camp site and use your vehicle to carry everything. Almost like camping with a trailer that has a kitchen, bathroom and beds. Then next would be "back packing". Carrying what you need in a ruck, hiking into the woods past where most vehicles can reach. Also "packing in" horseback. I guess I am really asking what level of wilderness people like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You also have all those forms of camping with various combinations of people.

Camping using various states of equipment with buddies, then family, and for us old geezers there are the big family camps with grown kids and grandkids. And for us reenactors there are the different kinds of camps with from a dozen to a couple of thousand people we know or do not know restricted to gear from every era of history.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Ahhh ok. I see. Mmm I done just about all styles of camping except re-enactment. Most of our survival camps are back packing type camps where you hike for miles and miles and limited kit.. those tend to be my favourite

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    Ahhh ok. I see. Mmm I done just about all styles of camping except re-enactment. Most of our survival camps are back packing type camps where you hike for miles and miles and limited kit.. those tend to be my favourite
    I, too, like carrying a backpack into a remote area and spending a couple of nights in the woods. Something about the ability to travel where ever you want and being "self contained" to teh point that you can pick any spot you want/find to sleep or camp in extremely (and in some ways, strangely) exhilarating. However as I have gotten older I have come to really enjoy riding my mule into the mountains also. Even when I was young and in the best shape of my life, 10 miles in the mountains was a tough, long day.

Truthfully, with my mule and a pack animal I have gone places I don't think I would ever have been able to walking. Being able to cover 25 miles of trail in the mountains in a day is very liberating! It allows me to see more country than I ever would afoot. A little more complicated but I really enjoy the rewards!

I, too, like carrying a backpack into a remote area and spending a couple of nights in the woods. Something about the ability to travel where ever you want and being "self contained" to teh point that you can pick any spot you want/find to sleep or camp in extremely (and in some ways, strangely) exhilarating. However as I have gotten older I have come to really enjoy riding my mule into the mountains also. Even when I was young and in the best shape of my life, 10 miles in the mountains was a tough, long day.

Truthfully, with my mule and a pack animal I have gone places I don't think I would ever have been able to walking. Being able to cover 25 miles of trail in the mountains in a day is very liberating! It allows me to see more country than I ever would afoot. A little more complicated but I really enjoy the rewards!
    Sounds cool. Would love to ride in on horse back or in your case a mule. I agree with you 10miles in the bush is definitely no small task.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Welcome from Alaska.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!